• 122(current)
Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio
On Pi if you have "Use full HD HDMI modes for 3D" then when outputting 3D we will use a framepacking HDMI mode (e.g. 1920x2205) with full resolution for each eye.

The GUI is always rendered as half-SBS or half-TAB for performance reasons, but the video will be full resolution.
E.g. if you play an MVC video you will get 1920x1080 pixels for each eye.

You can confirm the HDMI mode with "tvservice -s" which will show "FP" when outputting a framepacking mode.
If it shows that we will unconditionally be outputting a framepacking (e.g. 1920x2205) mode.

Try connecting to a TV that doesn't support 3D to confirm - you won't get an image for FP but you will for half-TAB/half-SBS (when "Use full HD HDMI modes for 3D" is disabled).
Thanks popcornmix and Koying... think it's finally clear. So, with Zidoo using Koying's MVC hack, I assume it too and HiMedia H8 are doing full 3D (2x 1080 frames). I assume AML devices that use the hack (hopefully WeTek Core, Minix U1, etc.), and not VidOn's hack, will do full 3D as well.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
(2015-12-22, 15:43)hdmkv Wrote: Thanks popcornmix and Koying... think it's finally clear. So, with Zidoo using Koying's MVC hack, I assume it too and HiMedia H8 are doing full 3D (2x 1080 frames). I assume AML devices that use the hack (hopefully WeTek Core, Minix U1, etc.), and not VidOn's hack, will do full 3D as well.

Decode and render are independent processes. Any platform that can decode a 3D image from an MVC file is decoding full HD (1080p for each eye).
However rendering that is a different matter. The Android devices don't have the "Use full HD modes for 3D" and AFAIK do not support framepacking modes.

So rendering on Android is half-SBS or half-TAB only.

I believe the Pi is still the only platform that can produce full HD 3D using Kodi's internal player.
(2015-12-22, 15:50)popcornmix Wrote:
(2015-12-22, 15:43)hdmkv Wrote: Thanks popcornmix and Koying... think it's finally clear. So, with Zidoo using Koying's MVC hack, I assume it too and HiMedia H8 are doing full 3D (2x 1080 frames). I assume AML devices that use the hack (hopefully WeTek Core, Minix U1, etc.), and not VidOn's hack, will do full 3D as well.

Decode and render are independent processes. Any platform that can decode a 3D image from an MVC file is decoding full HD (1080p for each eye).
However rendering that is a different matter. The Android devices don't have the "Use full HD modes for 3D" and AFAIK do not support framepacking modes.

So rendering on Android is half-SBS or half-TAB only.

I believe the Pi is still the only platform that can produce full HD 3D using Kodi's internal player.

Are you saying that every Android box that support 3D MVC is decoding FULL HD (1080p for each eye)?
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
(2015-12-22, 15:53)movie78 Wrote: Are you saying that every Android box that support 3D MVC is decoding FULL HD (1080p for each eye)?

If they are producing a 3D image from a MVC file then they must be decoding the full resolution for each eye (1080p for BluRay sources).
It is not possible to decode a half-SBS or half-TAB from a 1080p MVC file.

Whether they can display that without losing half the resolution is a different question. That would additionally require the support of framepacking 3D modes.
(2015-12-22, 15:56)popcornmix Wrote: Whether they can display that without losing half the resolution is a different question. That would additionally require the support of framepacking 3D modes.
So, they may very well be outputting (rendering) as half-rez only... Wonder if VidOn's output is half-rez as well too? Or, them being Blu-ray rip experts, figured out a unique solution.
My HT
(2015-12-22, 15:53)movie78 Wrote: Are you saying that every Android box that support 3D MVC is decoding FULL HD (1080p for each eye)?

Err... He says that it's decoded in FULL, but only the Pi render in FULL, and he's right. All the android render in HALF, unless proven otherwise via a proprietary player.
Thanks... I'll add your explanation to post #1 and later today for wrxtasy's new 'Pick the Right Kodi Box' post. Re: "proprietary player", that would be VidOn... not that I care for them (and no longer have their box), but wonder if there's a way to verify its output as being rendered/output in full 3D via their own box, or via Minix or tronsmart.
My HT
I still have my, how do verify rendered/output in full 3D?
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
(2015-12-22, 16:05)hdmkv Wrote: Re: "proprietary player", that would be VidOn...

Or Hisilicon...

P.S. Or Rockchip / zidoo..
(2015-12-22, 16:19)movie78 Wrote: I still have my, how do verify rendered/output in full 3D?

HDMI capture card, HDMI analyser or HDMI device that gives detailed info about the HDMI mode.
Without that, start playback on 3D TV. Whilst playing, unplug and connect to 2D TV. Then connect back to 3D TV.

If 2D TV displays an image (e.g. half-SBS or half-TAB) then you know it is not frame-packing.
If it doesn't display an image, and you still have an image when connecting back to 3D TV then I'd be pretty convinced it was outputting frame-packing.

This assumes that the 2D TV does support the 2D HDMI mode (e.g. 1080p24).
Yep, and Koying as you've said I think, aren't they all using an external player solution, some with Kodi player wrapper around the external player? Latter fools us into thinking it's Kodi internal.
My HT
(2015-12-22, 16:27)hdmkv Wrote: Yep, and Koying as you've said I think, aren't they all using an external player solution, some with Kodi player wrapper around the external player? Latter fools us into thinking it's Kodi internal.

While they can make an external player look like kodi with default skin, I'd be very surprised if they can handle other skins.
So if you switch skin does the player OSD look like the new skin?

Also do subtitle add-ons work? I can't believe an external plahyer would support kodi's subtitle add-ons.

A debug log (wiki) would also make it clear if it is kodi's player or something else.
(2015-12-22, 16:19)Koying Wrote:
(2015-12-22, 16:05)hdmkv Wrote: Re: "proprietary player", that would be VidOn...

Or Hisilicon...

P.S. Or Rockchip / zidoo..
or Realtek and their "Rtkplayer" for Realtek 1195 (RTD1195) SoC, see http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=204918
interesting stuff in here... still keeping an eye for the one and only box some time in the future lol
  • 122(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio17