• 126(current)
Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio
(2015-12-26, 04:24)flipmode009 Wrote:
(2015-12-11, 16:49)Skank Wrote: Roger got it Smile
Meanwhile enjoying my 2 himedia products

About your atmos and dts x setup upgrading plans
Im going to go atmos too... i would seriously consider going 7.1.4 instead of 7.1.2.. makes a huge difference !!
For me , im going 7.1.4 with focals...

Hey, I am currently in the works of changing out to a 7.2.4. I would like to offer a suggestion if your not offended by it. I am an insane Focal fanboy, however, because you are going to a audiophile grade home theater, Focal is not what you should be using...keep them for music. May I suggest you look into something like these: XTZ Cinema and depending on your budget Ken Kreisel Sound Quattro. These kind of speakers are designed specifically for reproducing studio master tracks. With something like Focal, they are made to give you superb stereo imaging, but where the imaging places the audio may not fall into the 3D placement of Atmos or DTS:X, thus you are having to rely heavily on your DSP (and yes Yamaha makes one of the better DSP for Cinema out there) to correct the stereo imaging of the Focal's. The 2nd downfall of using Hi-Fi speakers is that they are very far away from being tonally neutral, which studios master their audio in, thus you will end up with mixed audio performance. Some tracks will appear muddled in the Center channel (which is usually the speaker that takes the biggest hit with both warm or bright speakers). Being warm or bright always has an effect on music that makes things "come alive" depending on your preference of which you prefer, but it destroys cinema imaging. It may sound great in a demo, better than anything else you have heard, but if you go pure home theater, the difference in the 3D imaging, and the ability to handle extreme dynamic changes (explosions with bullets and a storm...to birds chirping near a gentle stream) will blow your mind away. Bonus advantage, their footprint is so good that you will still have placement room (if you wall mount the cinema speakers) to have a beautiful set of ___ music/Hi-Fi speakers. With speakers like what I posted, there is no other way to get genuine Atmos or DTS:X. Now as a disclaimer, I have never heard the XTZ speakers, but they are suppose to be close enough to the Kreisel's that the $$$ difference may make the XTZ a better buy and save you some $$$ for some Focal towers for your music needs.

Im not offended Wink
Heard of xtz before but dont have the money to chamge them all
Are there any updates, if Kodi in the future will play MKV-3D-MVC or M2TS-3D-MVC without an external player?
Or is this technical not possible?

My Kodi runs under windows.

Regards,
(2015-12-26, 16:04)Bladerunner1962 Wrote: Are there any updates, if Kodi in the future will play MKV-3D-MVC or M2TS-3D-MVC without an external player?
Or is this technical not possible?
Raspberry Pi and Pi 2 do this already natively in Kodi (well they do MVC MKV and 3D Blu-ray ISO) and will output 24p 1080p Frame packed.

Quote:My Kodi runs under windows.

External player only then - until someone writes MVC decode into ffmpeg? (Or a Windows Kodi dev finds a way to use the hardware decode on Intel, nVidia, AMD etc. GPUs in a manner compatible with Open Source release?)
(2015-12-26, 10:39)Skank Wrote: Im not offended Wink
Heard of xtz before but dont have the money to chamge them all

I would sure love me some Focal Electra's on a Devialet amp however. That combo is do die for. Man that is gorgeous. Also if your planning on a amp for Atmos, all 7.1.4 setups need an external amp, but I think I read that you knew that. I got a Emotiva XPA-3 to run the front 3, dont regret it for a moment. I am running a Monitor Audio and it made my speakers sound 400% better from the quality difference. I have an older Yamaha 2030 that does not support Atmos unfortunately (I was misguided with the promise of a firmware update to find out the amp physically cant do it even if they cooked up some magical firmware...but that wasn't Yamaha that did that so no hard feelings to them, their products perform as promised from their advertised side).

Anyways, enough about the sound...back on topic. I have a HiMedia Q10 2K4K and it has absolutely fantastic 3D video quality. My only complaint is it can not decode forced subtitles without reading the whole CC track. So if you watch Avatar, you get everything spoken instead of just the Navi parts. Kinda irritating, because on the RPi2 it shows properly, but the video quality is not just less quality than the Q10, its not even average, its just absolutely terrible. I am running it on a 100" Studio 4k Reference screen on an Epson 5030ub. Even when I put them on my 2010 40" LG LED the quality is blatantly different,,,and still bad with my RPi2, and I have 2 of them so its not like I got a bad box.

Does anyone know if it is possible to take a box like the Q10 and homebrew a native Kodi interface like on a RPi? (I am assuming the 3D ISO is hardware based and not software based). It would be so nice to get a raw Kodi box with the video quality of a HiMedia with the support of RPi. That I am sure is everyone here's dream. Android box is fine, sure, but I exclusively use my box for HT use and its just overhead and extra resources/steps of use that for me doesn't need to exist. Damn shame with the TLBB, that looked like a dream come true...gotta love those manufacturers sales tactics that from their viewpoint is 100% acceptable.
(2015-12-27, 01:34)flipmode009 Wrote: Anyways, enough about the sound...back on topic. I have a HiMedia Q10 2K4K and it has absolutely fantastic 3D video quality. My only complaint is it can not decode forced subtitles without reading the whole CC track. So if you watch Avatar, you get everything spoken instead of just the Navi parts. Kinda irritating, because on the RPi2 it shows properly, but the video quality is not just less quality than the Q10, its not even average, its just absolutely terrible. I am running it on a 100" Studio 4k Reference screen on an Epson 5030ub. Even when I put them on my 2010 40" LG LED the quality is blatantly different,,,and still bad with my RPi2, and I have 2 of them so its not like I got a bad box.
Hmmm, is the Pi2 really that bad?? Seems surprising to me that no one would have commented on it... Confused
Box 1: ODroid N2+ 4GB
Box 2: Intel NUC D34010WYK (Windows afedchin's Krypton MVC Build)
Box 3: Vero 4K
RIP schimi2k | I miss you buddy :(
(2015-12-24, 18:02)hdmkv Wrote: @ArieS, MKV chapter support is one of several requests already made to HiMedia directly. In fact, it has been a while since they've provided an update, so will check with my contact there. But, yes, if you stop an ISO or any video at whatever point, next time you will get a pop-up asking if you want to resume from that point or from start. The point of using the external player for videos other than 3D is HD audio and 23.976. Not sure if internal Kodi player supports either on this box.
Ah! I see your point now... I was assuming HD audio was already implemented across all platforms in Reg Kodi as it works from stock in Windows... So yeah, External player is really the way to go.
I still don't know if JSON commands work on this player or else I would order one Undecided

P.S: Do the Q5 and Pi2 can play 25fps videos with no stutters? Didn't see that on the 1st page.
Box 1: ODroid N2+ 4GB
Box 2: Intel NUC D34010WYK (Windows afedchin's Krypton MVC Build)
Box 3: Vero 4K
RIP schimi2k | I miss you buddy :(
(2015-12-27, 12:36)ArieS Wrote: Hmmm, is the Pi2 really that bad?? Seems surprising to me that no one would have commented on it... Confused

Well, no it is not. You can be sure there would be many complaints. Videoquality is in fact very good - much better than the A-400 I had before and the Mede8er. Even upscaling SD content is good.

No idea why flipmode009 is so unhappy with it. I project a pretty huge picture and it is damn good - atleast for my eyes and I even got new glasses ;-)
(2015-12-27, 12:36)ArieS Wrote: Hmmm, is the Pi2 really that bad?? Seems surprising to me that no one would have commented on it... Confused

Of course not. The picture quality is excellent for 2D and 3D (the quality of each will be the same) as is frequently commented on.
If @flipmode009 has an issue, then please open a thread in Pi forum and provide information there (e.g. comparative screen shots).

It is possible some settings are degrading picture quality. The obvious one is not enabling "Use full HD modes for 3D", which would result in losing half the resolution.
You could lose some quality by having overscan enabled on TV and scaling the image in Kodi to compensate. Not using a 1080p HDMI mode, obviously.
If colours are too light or dark there may be a mismatch of limited/full RGB range of HDMI, but that would be unusual. It can however be forced if display both doesn't respect the information in the AV infoframe and doesn't use the usual defaults for CEA and DMT modes.
(2015-12-27, 12:51)ArieS Wrote:
(2015-12-24, 18:02)hdmkv Wrote: @ArieS, MKV chapter support is one of several requests already made to HiMedia directly. In fact, it has been a while since they've provided an update, so will check with my contact there. But, yes, if you stop an ISO or any video at whatever point, next time you will get a pop-up asking if you want to resume from that point or from start. The point of using the external player for videos other than 3D is HD audio and 23.976. Not sure if internal Kodi player supports either on this box.
Ah! I see your point now... I was assuming HD audio was already implemented across all platforms in Reg Kodi as it works from stock in Windows... So yeah, External player is really the way to go.
I still don't know if JSON commands work on this player or else I would order one Undecided

P.S: Do the Q5 and Pi2 can play 25fps videos with no stutters? Didn't see that on the 1st page.

Pi and Pi 2 happily play 25p and 50i videos with no issues, and output at 50Hz. For highest quality deinterlacing at 1080i you need a slightly overclocked Pi 2.

HD Audio bitstreaming is only really supported natively in Kodi on Intel platforms (Windows and Linux, not OSX and Android I think) and Intel and nVidia GPUs (AMD GPUs support it but with some frame rate caveats in some cases) HD Audio decoding is now being implemented for platforms that support multichannel PCM output but not HD Audio bitstreaming (some Windows platforms based on low-end Intel GPUs, the Pi 2 etc.)

Android platforms still have issues with HD Audio bitstreaming. nVidia support it on the Shield (but not sure support for it is quite there in Kodi yet), but most other Android solutions used closed source external players (or GPL-breaching Kodi forks...)
(2015-12-27, 13:15)popcornmix Wrote:

Of course not. The picture quality is excellent for 2D and 3D (the quality of each will be the same) as is frequently commented on.
If @flipmode009 has an issue, then please open a thread in Pi forum and provide information there (e.g. comparative screen shots).

It is possible some settings are degrading picture quality. The obvious one is not enabling "Use full HD modes for 3D", which would result in losing half the resolution.
You could lose some quality by having overscan enabled on TV and scaling the image in Kodi to compensate. Not using a 1080p HDMI mode, obviously.
If colours are too light or dark there may be a mismatch of limited/full RGB range of HDMI, but that would be unusual. It can however be forced if display both doesn't respect the information in the AV infoframe and doesn't use the usual defaults for CEA and DMT modes.
i suppose him talking about:
- Q5 have Excellent PQ thanks to included Image and Display Processing (Imprex
Processing Engine)
- Pi2 have also a excellent picture quality

but in some case ( especially with projector and plasma TV) Q5 Express engine have WOW effect with picture quality ,also because can be change quality setting LIVE ( pop-up menu ) for different parameter (Optimal, sky, scenery ecc. ) to match best movie quality.

In the end Q5 it's not "better" Pi2 player , it's only different.
LG OLED 55E8 - M9702(oppo 203) -  Dinobot U5PVR(Enigma 2) - Meccol KI pro(COREelec) - Sony PS5
AndroidPremiumPlayer blog - HI - Frequency Switcher 
I'm trying to decide between a raspberry pi 2 (70$ starter kit), himedia q5 (130$) and new tronsmart S95 Vega with vidon xbmc (80$). What's the better option?
Just a friendly heads up...
That last device you mentioned will likely see you hounded off the Kodi forums by those of us that care about the GPL2 Licenced Kodi Open Source project plus you will get NO support at all, see here for details:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2189005

(2015-12-28, 11:33)wrxtasy Wrote: Just a friendly heads up...
That last device you mentioned will likely see you hounded off the Kodi forums by those of us that care about the GPL2 Licenced Kodi Open Source project plus you will get NO support at all, see here for details:

And between others items I posted?
(2015-12-28, 12:19)langostino Wrote:

Back and forth with the same question

See post below

Similar Question
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
(2015-12-28, 14:25)movie78 Wrote:
(2015-12-28, 12:19)langostino Wrote:

Back and forth with the same question

See post below

Similar Question

Yes, I know. But I can't decide. Which would you buy in my situation?
  • 126(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio17