• 1(current)
[split] /me resigning as Android maintainer
BTW, this has been rejected for Jarvis.
Some Kodi people have a hard time accepting that an Android box might be better than their obscure Linux NUC's or whatever, apparently, and do what I consider obstruction.

Being sick of those games, I resigned as Android/AML maintainer for Kodi.

SPMC will relive, apparently...
Geez... I'm really sorry to hear that. For a while it seemed like Android might of been a first-class citizen, but I guess not? Thank you so much for all of your hard work Koying. I, for one, really do appreciate it.
those are sad news Koying Sad
(2015-12-30, 20:46)Koying Wrote: BTW, this has been rejected for Jarvis.
Some Kodi people have a hard time accepting that an Android box might be better than their obscure Linux NUC's or whatever, apparently, and do what I consider obstruction.

Sad to hear.
Koying was almost the only person that contributed to Android Kodi's success.
Now official Android Kodi support will takes months to fix an issue or not.

If you go your own way, lots of people will support you emotionally and financially.
Just look at SPMC on the Play Store, just positive feedback and happy users.

Android devices today have far better graphics chips & VPU's than Intel Linux machines that can't even play 4K videos not to even mention games for the same price class.
Several Android devices also have dual-boot support and use much less power than Linux machines, that's why so many people prefer Android devices.
Also much better app support and more user-friendly in Android than in Linux.
(2015-12-30, 21:19)mo123 Wrote:

Sad to hear.
Koying was almost the only person that contributed to Android Kodi's success.
Now official Android Kodi support will takes months to fix an issue or not.

If you go your own way, lots of people will support you emotionally and financially.
Just look at SPMC on the Play Store, just positive feedback and happy users.

Android devices today have far better graphics chips & VPU's than Intel Linux machines that can't even play 4K videos not to even mention games for the same price class.
Several Android devices also have dual-boot support and use much less power than Linux machines, that's why so many people prefer Android devices.
Also much better app support and more user-friendly in Android than in Linux.

hell Yeah. im not Rich but if he can make this work on android its of course Worth a donation.
After all i bought my Beelink r68 to play 4K and expected Kodi to work so to make thsi happen and make me not having a useless brick NeXT to my tv of course!!
This is unfortunate and indeed a sad news Sad No Hopefully, the foundation or whoever was in charge of rejecting it will rethink about the decision. I do think that the future of Kodi heavily depends on Android. Folks are not going to buy NUCs or mini PCs when they can find more powerful/capable/feature rich and most importantly cheaper Android players.

Sad to see it turned out like this. Hopefully we'll see more of your work in SPMC.

WT biiiib ? So all this testing has been for nothing? So it won't even make it in 17?

Well, this is a sad state of affairs indeed. Kodi needs more Android devs, not less and without you I'm afraid Android development will now slow to a crawl.

All your efforts have been greatly appreciated and I know that all of us Android users will do what we can to support you in which ever direction you decide to go.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
This is shocking!! Without you we would've been floundering with an unusable HTPC for who knows how long!! In one week we have perfect HD passthrough!! Who can we complain to about this? I agree with the person that said before that the future of Kodi is Android. Android boxes will be a genuine household item in the near future, unlike NUCs which are clearly niche. I'm really angry!
I don't generally post much but have benefited a great deal by reading the forum and using the software. I have been a HTPC user with Kodi for years and as a part of PC platform, it constantly needs maintenance - there is a sometimes a problem with window resizing, PC hangs etc. I was happy with the direction the android solution was going with Shield and was about to retire my PC since HD audio was one of the last things on my list.

This decision not to focus on Android makes no sense. The future of Kodi is in an appliance, now that these appliances are powerful enough to do everything a PC can for Kodi (my spouse refused to use Kodi on PC). And Android is one of if not the strongest contenders.

There has to be a way of escalating this concern up to the right people. How can we do this as a group? Can we set up a petition?
(2015-12-30, 22:39)Koying Wrote:
(2015-12-30, 22:29)Evanesco Wrote: WT biiiib ? So all this testing has been for nothing? So it won't even make it in 17?

It already is in 17, in basically the state of the first test apk.
No hard work for my successor to backport the fixes done in this thread to 17.

Do you really have to resign, isn't it a bit harsch. Why not sleep on it rethink the whole situation, with that FernetMenta person ??

This is so shocking. Is there a place we can make a complain as group?

I know some people who are really sad about this, and that got to be the people behind the Shield TV over at nVIDIA. They sell tons of Shield TV units because of your great work.
Ha! They should hire you, and make a native NVIDIA branded mediaplayer.

I downloaded the Dec. 29th build again. Renamed it WORKING_PASSTHROUGH_KODI.apk and saved it a secure place. Because this is the build I will be using for a loong time in the future.

Thanks again for the great work you have done!
(2015-12-30, 22:39)Koying Wrote:
(2015-12-30, 22:29)Evanesco Wrote: WT biiiib ? So all this testing has been for nothing? So it won't even make it in 17?

It already is in 17, in basically the state of the first test apk.
No hard work for my successor to backport the fixes done in this thread to 17.

I wouldn't give up with it yet but who am I to tell you what to do. I wish you wouldn't, we need more android devs, not less. Please sleep on it. Sad I can tell you there are 21 pages of happy people in this thread because of your hardwork Koying. I will continue to use the latest build as it's working great!

When you say SPMC will live, do you intend to bring the fixes from these tests to SPMC? If it looks like Kodi and runs like Kodi does with these builds, I'm down!
Mac Mini (2.7GHz, Late 2012, Windows 10, Kodi DSPlayer) | SATV 16GB | Panasonic TX-P50GT50B | Yamaha RX-V675 | Q Acoustics 2010i (FL, FR, Left S, Right S), Q2000ci Center, Q2070si Sub
(2015-12-30, 22:05)Koying Wrote: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/8629

I would suggest a compromise of merging it only for an Android/Jarvis specific release, like what was done for iOS in the past, but the real issue here is much deeper. Plus, such a compromise would probably be rejected.
(2015-12-30, 23:12)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2015-12-30, 22:05)Koying Wrote: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/8629

I would suggest a compromise of merging it only for an Android/Jarvis specific release, like what was done for iOS in the past, but the real issue here is much deeper. Plus, such a compromise would probably be rejected.

which i proposed and was simply shot down cause it was not in their vision
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[split] /me resigning as Android maintainer3