Vero 2 - OSMC on a AMLogic S805
Sam Nazarko looks like he has hitched his wagon to an AMLogic S805 this time around with a Vero 2...

https://osmc.tv/vero/

What is OSMC you ask ?
See HERE

Tech specs:

Quad Core 1.6Ghz Cortex-A5 ARM processor (AMLogic S805)
Built in 802.11/b/g/n WiFi 2.4Ghz
IR and RF receiver
1GB DDR3 RAM
8GB internal storage
4 USB ports (3x USB 2.0 / 1x USB 2.0 OTG)
SD card slot
3.5mm SPDIF audio output
HDMI 1.4 with CEC (control your Vero with your TV remote)
3D ready
Fast Ethernet
Full HD 24Hz output
Dimensions: 11 x 11 x 2.2cm / 4.3 x 4.3 x 1 inches
Weight: 150 grams / 5 oz

• The S805 can play 1080p HEVC (H265)
  • and has the usual AMLogic, Edge Enhancing, Motion Adaptive Hardware deinterlacing
    (This deinterlacing has nothing to do with OSMC)
  • Switchable between OSMC and Android from the remote control by using a reboot.
  • Android Screen Mirroring
  • No Google Widevine Level 1 certification, so Android DRM streaming Apps limited to 480p max. resolution.

Price:
£99 / $149 / €129

Ships January 2016

Kind of a dated, underpowered chip isn't it?
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
It will actually be pretty snappy running a lean mean Linux Kodi distro like OSMC.
Android, not so much at all, especially if it runs KitKat.

I say this because OpenELEC that I compile and distribute for the ODROID S805 C1+ is nice and quick and OSMC will be at least comparable, and may be even quicker in some operations.

These JEOS (Just Enough OS's) work well on low powered AMLogic S8xx devices. Noticably faster than a RPi2.

Glad to see he moved away from the IMX.6 platform (and SolidRun) that almost insured the original Vero had a very short lifespan (~6 months) before they stopped selling it in September and have now moved on to this S805 powered device. I think Vero2 owners will be MUCH happier with the new device. I've seen some complaints on the OSMC forums that it doesn't do 5ghz wireless though, so I guess you can't please everyone.

What would really be nice is to offer some sort of trade-in discount for Vero 1 owners, though I think that is doubtful. At least the Vero 1 still has another 2+ years of support.
2.4Ghz only.
Hmmm thats not very good at al, as there is so much interference with 2.4Ghz only WiFi that I would not even look at a device offering that only in 2016, especially if you live in a congested Urban environment.

Missed that in the Tech Specs I copied.

As an example Microwave ovens operate at 2.45Ghz and this causes known problems with nearby 2.4Ghz WiFi devices. And thats only one example.
I hope a serious reconsideration of WiFi is given before sale.

Serious Kodi media streaming peoples use ethernet anyway. Wink

For the same price you get more with WETEK CORE.
The one looks like re-branded MXQ TV BOX.
So is thread gonna be as infected as the other vero thread?
I dunno, but sooner or later somebody might point out that 8bit hevc is useless and that s905 based boxes that support 5ghz wifi, hdmi 2.0 , 10bit hevc 4k60, faster cpus etc, are 40.99usd incl shipping from gearbest. Not saying they are going to run Linux/OE, but from earlier experiences chances are that at least some of them will. I am of the opinion that OSMC team are free to charge whatever they want, just as users on this forum are free to comment on various aspects of vero 2 incl hardware and value for money etc.

For all intents and purposes, 8bit h264/1080p is going to cater to 99% of us in the foreseeable future, and it can only be better than the original vero.
Darn! This would have been interesting if it had AC- Wifi capability and 5 ghz... Feels a little 2010 with only B/G/N. Besides N is too slow to stream BlueRay content like 25 gb files. ..
(2016-01-01, 20:20)corb06 Wrote: Darn! This would have been interesting if it had AC- Wifi capability and 5 ghz... Feels a little 2010 with only B/G/N. Besides N is too slow to stream BlueRay content like 25 gb files. ..

BluRay, not BlueRay, and you can kinda stream them via N if you`re getting a perfect connection at 4 meters between the router and the Kodi box with no wall or anything between them, but in 95% of the cases, people won`t have the 2 devices so close and without anything between them Smile
Ethernet. Wink
Vero developer says it support hd audio passthrough, I have some hope it can implement to other s805-s812 boxes (openelec)
(2015-12-31, 20:18)wrxtasy Wrote: It will actually be pretty snappy running a lean mean Linux Kodi distro like OSMC.... Noticably faster than a RPi2.
Specs also mention "3D ready", so will hopefully support full 3D as OSMC now does on Pi2. And if there's HD audio passthrough, it'd fill the two 'gaps' (to some of us) that Pi2 has... speed and bitstreaming.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
(2016-01-02, 18:30)hdmkv Wrote:
(2015-12-31, 20:18)wrxtasy Wrote: It will actually be pretty snappy running a lean mean Linux Kodi distro like OSMC.... Noticably faster than a RPi2.
Specs also mention "3D ready", so will hopefully support full 3D as OSMC now does on Pi2. And if there's HD audio passthrough, it'd fill the two 'gaps' (to some of us) that Pi2 has... speed and bitstreaming.

But presumably OSMC supports 3D MVC and Frame Packed output on the Pi and Pi2 because the Kodi devs who are Pi experts implemented MVC and 3D Frame Packing in recent Pi/Pi 2 firmware updates - rather than any OSMC 'special sauce'?

There is 3D MVC decode working on the AMLogic stuff now (the C1/C1+ builds have it I believe) based on Koying's work, but 3D Frame Packed output hasn't been enabled yet, so although 3D MVC can be decoded, it has to be scaled to HSBS (i.e. half-resolution) for output as a 1920x1080 rather than a 1920x2205 frame packed signal.

***EDIT - jumped the gun on 3D MVC on the ODroid C1/C1+. Confused it with early experimental stuff on the Wetek Core which is based on a different SoC I think ***

Of course Sam may have cracked this and HD Audio bitstreaming. Be great if he has, as this stuff will presumably also be folded back into mainline and allow other S805-based platforms to benefit?

That said - the vero site talks about "3D Ready" and doesn't, as far as I can see, talk about HD Audio?
The OE S805 C1+ builds I have been releasing have not seen any 3D MVC decode plugged into them yet. I have the patches for Isengard tho and know a little bit about the S805 Kernel now. A test version soon.

I have experimented with 3D ISO's with OE on the WeTek Core, I think that was outputting 3D Top/Bottom. So thats Half Res. I believe.
hdmkv was the test guinea pig.

As with everything, the proof will be in the pudding.
Who knows what "3D Ready means" ?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Vero 2 - OSMC on a AMLogic S8051