• 16(current)
Improved UPnP serving and client
I was talking about phone being the remote Smile Most phones are not real multitasks Smile

I guess I have communication problem tonight :p
So you want to use a phone/ipod as a remote, XBMC as the "server" and send playback to a 3rd device such as a UPnP capable TV or media player. Is that what you are wanting to do?
Part of it, but it's more Yatse users asking that my simple need.

Send playback from remote to another player (all from the same remote so not doing it from a full upnp client).
Stream media from Xbmc to phones/tablets and again from the same interface they use.

Ideally users want :
They are on their couch start a movie from Yatse on Xbmc, then someone take the TV so the users continue it's playing locally on his phone at their resume point.
Ok so Music Pump have implemented this the way I did not want to get through Smile

But this fills a need so should really be in Xbmc natively.

Browse via JSON get the filepath, browse the upnp network find the correct XBMC one, find the media from upnp client , ask the streaming url, then stream the file from any non upnp client able to render streamed content.

Since the streamed file in the end have nothing to do with upnp (upnp only serve to generate the url so it can be then served) adding a new JSON function to get this url and fills the needed part in upnp server is doable and would solve most of the current stream functions needed by remote makers.

Would such approach PR been accepted ?
Ok so after some tests a simple

Code:
UPNP::CUPnPServer *upnp_server = UPNP::CUPnP::GetInstance()->GetServer();
         NPT_HttpUrl url =  NPT_HttpUrl("192.168.0.11", upnp_server->GetPort(), "/");
         object["streamingurl"] = upnp_server->BuildSafeResourceUri(url,url.GetHost(),item->GetPath()).GetChars();

Does the trick and works perfectly, permitting the streaming of the file. (Needs of course handling of the ifdef and sanity checks).
The only problem right now is to get the correct interface IP depending on the client (Renderer and JSON have 99,999999% to access Xbmc from the same interface)
But passing the http client to the JSON function should no really be a problem and would permit to select the correct interface.
I've been playing with Frodo's upnp on my installations at home, and it works great for my TV library. I *really* like not having to deal with the library updates on each of my clients. Thanks for your efforts to date in making xbmc's upnp a real contender.

Movies, however are an issue. Multipart movies will not play. Unfortunately about 75% of my collection is in the form of: movie-CD1.avi, movie-CD2.avi - I assume most people would have collections containing multi-part files like this.

Does the upnp specification not allow for file-stacking, or is this something that could be fixed within xbmc?
(2013-03-20, 20:25)RPico Wrote: I've been playing with Frodo's upnp on my installations at home, and it works great for my TV library. I *really* like not having to deal with the library updates on each of my clients. Thanks for your efforts to date in making xbmc's upnp a real contender.

Movies, however are an issue. Multipart movies will not play. Unfortunately about 75% of my collection is in the form of: movie-CD1.avi, movie-CD2.avi - I assume most people would have collections containing multi-part files like this.

Does the upnp specification not allow for file-stacking, or is this something that could be fixed within xbmc?

same here. i am using upnp for my 2nd client and love the functionality. but unfortunately 10-20% are multi-part movie files which are not playable through upnp.
Even if Upnp supported it, you are then reliant on rhe client supporting it too (not just xbmc).. I would say that (my opinion) is that such splits are a dying breed any ways... (Both avi AND mulipart)...
It's been mentioned in the past that the long term plan is to support transcoding. Once transcoding is implemented, it would most likelly solve the issue of split files as well.
Does upnp provide playlist support? If so, is it possible for the server to create a playlist on the fly containing the locations of the stacked files?
(2013-04-17, 01:00)RPico Wrote: Does upnp provide playlist support? If so, is it possible for the server to create a playlist on the fly containing the locations of the stacked files?

BubbleUPNP has a playlist option in the, well, the Playlist section of the app. lol
Great links sharing and thanks for making this threat. Well commented by other members and make this threat more informative with their valued comments and link sharing.
(2012-11-09, 12:26)sstavross Wrote: Hi!

Alcoheca thank you very much for all the hard work your are doing in improving upnp services in XBMC. I am a fun of upnp as it is easy to set up and easy to control from my smart TV, android phone etc.
I have tested the latest xbmc-12.0-Frodo_alpha7 and the only problem(?) I have seen is this:
I have a lot of music files in flac/cue and ape/cue format. When I select from my android device a track after number 1 ( say track 2 or track 3 etc) I always get to play track number one, even if the time displayed in both my phone and xbmc is of the track I have choossen. I choose xbmc as renderer and library.
Is this a limitation of XBMC, upnp or my android upnp apk (but I have tried 2-3 of them)

Hi sstavross, did you ever find a solution or workaround to this problem?

In my case, 100% of my audio collection is in single-file FLAC + cue. I am using Kodi as UPnP Server, and I am usign BubbleUPnP on android as a client. It can browse my library but as you describe, all the songs within each album point to the same .flac file and play song #1

Not sure if this is a BubbleUPnP problem or a Kodi problem, or further, a UPnP limitation.
What's the status of Kodi v16 (Jarvis) controlling other UPnP devices?
I.e. initiating on/off commands and sending music to a rendering system?

In particular, the UPnP Wiki page says "Kodi has several built-in UPnP A/V (Universal Plug and Play Audio Visual) features, including the ability to ... controlling UPnP and DLNA devices."

Unfortunately, however, the entry "Look for remote UPnP players" in the table on the page UPnP/Server has no descriptive information.

I selected the option "Look for remote UPnP players" in the System -> Services -> UPnP/DLNA menu, but don't see my renderer (a Marantz SR7009 receiver) as a player in the Audio Output menu. Should it appear or be selectable somewhere else?

(FWIW, my AVR does respond to rendering commands sent by MusicBee's DLNA plugin when selected as MusicBee's player device, but I much prefer Kodi's user interface.)

I'm currently running Kodi v16 beta4 under Windows 7 X64. All of my A/V devices use ethernet connectivity, not WiFi.
If this functionality is not yet available, it'd be nice if that were stated explicitly in the Wiki.

Thanks for whatever help can be provided.
When you want to play something you need to open the context menu and use the "Play with..." option which should give you a list of internal and UPnP players.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
  • 16(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Improved UPnP serving and client0