• 1(current)
Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options
Information 
Before considering any Kodi media player, highly recommend starting with this stickied thread. AmLogic S9xx options evolve quickly, so after reviewing the stickied thread, check the latest posts here, then work back.

CoreELEC is mostly the best OS option on these boxes w/Kodi, developed specifically for AMLogic boxes.

Moderators note - reviews, promotions or links to "fully loaded" boxes which violate the Kodi Foundation's Official:Trademark Policy (wiki) (especially section 4) are not acceptable and will be removed. Users providing such links will have them removed, and repeated violation will not be tolerated.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
Post withdrawn, as everyone knows my opinion regarding (illegal) VidOn and Tronsmart S95 products.

ZIDOO X5 Amlogic S905

The Zidoo X5 is made of Amlogic S905,Quad-core 64-bit ARM Cortex-A53 CPU with 2Ghz,Penta-core ARM Mali-450 GPU,the design is a glossy silver metallic look that feels very solid and steady,better looking than the previous Zidoo X6 Pro.
The only issue i found with the device design is the Ethernet connect port,it is impossible to remove the cable once its plug in.

3D Playback.

Firmware version
3D MVC MKV = Playback as HOU (Top/Bottom) very disappointed because framepacking is working on Zidoo X6
3D MVC ISO = Playback as HOU (Top/Bottom)

Audio.
DTS HD MA = Pass
TRUEHD = Pass
DOLBY ATMOS = Pass

10-Bit HEVC(H.265) = Pass 10 bit Hevc 4K UHD
8-bit HEVC(H.265) = Pass

User Interface is very similar to the Zidoo X6 with a little minor change in the Setting

Overall

The Zidoo X5 is pretty snappy and the remote controller is very responsive compare to my other Android Devices,i thing all the S905 devices are having issue playing 3D frame-packing,once Zidoo fixed the 3D Frame-packing issue, i will do i in-depth test with Lip-sync and picture quality.
This is just my first impression with the device.
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
(2016-01-08, 21:45)wrxtasy Wrote: Post withdrawn, as everyone knows my opinion regarding (illegal) VidOn and Tronsmart S95 products.
Is this confirmed now? In any case, if you read my wrap-up, I'm not promoting VidOn, or at best, saying it's a stop-gap solution for 3D & HD audio, but users are better off with RPi2 or HiMedia Q5/Q10 for these features.
(2016-01-08, 21:50)movie78 Wrote: Good Job!!!
Thanks. I'd love to do this kind of stuff for a full-time job (had an offer from AnandTech once), but they pay you close to nothing & you get sample boxes; that's it.
My Family Room Theater
(2016-01-08, 22:14)hdmkv Wrote:
(2016-01-08, 21:45)wrxtasy Wrote: Post withdrawn, as everyone knows my opinion regarding (illegal) VidOn and Tronsmart S95 products.
Is this confirmed now? In any case, if you read my wrap-up, I'm not promoting VidOn, or at best, saying it's a stop-gap solution for 3D & HD audio, but users are better off with RPi2 or HiMedia Q5/Q10 for these features.
Yes I re-read your review a few times now and deleted what I was actually originally going to post as the review looked pretty balanced and thought out Smile

I have re-edited Page #1 of the VidOn GPL thread into a up to date summary and IMHO, coupled with opinions from a bunch of the senior Kodi devs, whom I respect (Koying and the extremely experienced MrMC especially) and other experienced users. I would say its GPL Violation confirmed for VidOn-XBMC.

If they were Headquartered in a Western Country, I would think a Lawsuit for GPL / Copyright Violations would be launched from a well connected (and funded) past or present XBMC / Kodi developer.
The Free Software Foundation may even be interested.

Thanks... tried to do a balanced review. VidOn is frustrating from a user's POV; they offer features via a Kodi fork that others quite haven't yet, but do so in a distasteful manner. Would like to discuss it as I can't stand censorship, but at the same time, can't stand half-truths (or half-lies if you will) either.

VidOn obviously has some talented developers & has used DVDFab's Blu-ray expertise well, but in the long run, they are a dead end... in effect, boxing users in a resort inside a jail. Just finished watching Netflix's excellent 'Narcos', and if you've watched it, you know how things end for Pablo Smile!
My Family Room Theater
Thanks for taking the time to do these reviews, which can have no other conclusion than to pass on both.

(I've got my eye on the Dune Solo 4K for a quality AV performance but I guess thats out-of-scope for this forum...)

Whats next on the Kodi based radar ?
I will donate the Cost of the Tronsmart S95 to the Kodi foundation if hdmkv will run over it with a car and post detailed post crushing analysis photos along with some witty comments of course !

Sounds like a good Kodi fundraiser to me, maybe get a few more users on board with some pledges ! Wink

LOL ... don't tempt me Big Grin! Would Amazon refund (uh-hum, an accidentally) crushed box?! Wink
My Family Room Theater
Wink 
I almost order the Tronsmart S905 16GB version, I am still temptedBig Grin
I haven't have a new toy in a month!!!
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
(2016-01-08, 22:58)wrxtasy Wrote: I will donate the Cost of the Tronsmart S95 to the Kodi foundation if hdmkv will run over it with a car and post detailed post crushing analysis photos along with some witty comments of course !

Sounds like a good Kodi fundraiser to me, maybe get a few more users on board with some pledges ! Wink

I'd donate to see something even better, hdmkv (or anybody for that matter, preferably a Team-KODI member) running over the CEO of VidON with a car , or hunting him down through the woods with one of these Big Grin .

PS : Nope, i don't think any retailer on this planet would refund a crushed box by the user. Not any that i've heard of anyway.
(2016-01-08, 23:10)movie78 Wrote: I almost order the Tronsmart S905 16GB version, I am still temptedBig Grin
You're as bad as I am with gadgets Big Grin! ...no, make that worse; I didn't buy a $2K AVR for ATMOS & DTS:X Wink.
(2016-01-08, 23:11)Soulbind Wrote: PS : Nope, i don't think any retailer on this planet would refund a crushed box by the user. Not any that i've heard of anyway.
I was kidding ... actually doing that would be more deceptive than what VidOn is doing Smile.
My Family Room Theater
Quote:Running the latest Android Lollipop 5.1.1, Support F.O.T.A (firmware over the air update). Pre-load Google Play Store, Youtube (support 1080p) ,Vidon XBMC(KODI) and other useful apps.

Tronsmart are NOT allowed to advertise like this on Amazon as Kodi is Trademarked.

Do you see the Shit that goes on with this VidOn company and the grief they actually cause for the Kodi foundation !

Amazon is hypocritical... they ban Google's Nexus Player and Apple TV from sale (as they didn't want competition), yet allow (or at least don't clamp down on) many 'fully loaded' Kodi boxes that hawk banned add-ons, violate trademarks, and what have you.
My Family Room Theater
(2016-01-08, 23:12)hdmkv Wrote:
(2016-01-08, 23:10)movie78 Wrote: I almost order the Tronsmart S905 16GB version, I am still temptedBig Grin
You're as bad as I am with gadgets Big Grin! ...no, make that worse; I didn't buy a $2K AVR for ATMOS & DTS:X Wink.

Laugh

To be honest if VidON release their source code for 3D, i can care less what they do with their GPL violation.
They can keep their BDJ menu to them-self and market that as their VidOn XBMC.
Zidoo release their 3D source code and that help everyone,so VidOn can do the same and all this GPL violation issue will be put to rest.

Just my 2 Cents.
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options6