• 7(current)
[split] Improved Classical Music Browsing
Thanks Zag, if I put the nodes Dave created in the userdata folder I just get Roles and Music Add-Ons in the music library menu. I still can't get to playlists, years, etc. Oh well, you asked for feedback, I gave it, I'll give up now. Good luck persuading the majority to write their own xml files.
Ah yes, if you haven't done any custom nodes before then the userdata/library folder will be empty. My bad, another detail that got lost in my description, I will update post #102. Good testing work Paul, please don't run off!

No overwriting of anything required!!!!!

Copy the .xml files from C:\Program Files (x86)\Kodi\system\library\music into userdata/library/music. You don't need to copy the other folders, only the music one. Then add the roles folder, and all will look much better.
Another bit of user guidence to those testing this build if you are tagging classical music in Picard for the first time.

Kodi's need for space-slash-space as the artist name separator still applies in my build. The default output from Picard has semi-colon and commas separating names in the artist and album artist tags. Kodi will see that as a single artist, and then get confused when there are more musicbrainz IDs than artist names.

There are two fixes in Picard to make your tags Kodi compatible:
a) use Picard script to replace the commas and semi-colons. Something like:
Code:
$set(albumartist,$replace(%albumartist%,; , / ))
$set(albumartist,$replace(%albumartist%,\, , / ))
$set(artist,$replace(%artist%,; , / ))
$set(artist,$replace(%artist%,\, , / ))
or

b) Add ARTISTS or ALBUMARTISTS tags to match the Musicbrainz IDs

I must emphasize I am not a Picard expert, some other users might want to advise a better way of doing this.
Strongly suggest your option (B) as option (A) has the risk to mess things up. ARTISTS should be automatically added? To get ALBUMARTISTS, you will need to add a script: "$setmulti(albumartists,%_albumartists%)".
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
(2016-01-09, 15:08)DaveBlake Wrote: Ah yes, if you haven't done any custom nodes before then the userdata/library folder will be empty. My bad, another detail that got lost in my description, I will update post #102. Good testing work Paul, please don't run off!

No overwriting of anything required!!!!!

Copy the .xml files from C:\Program Files (x86)\Kodi\system\library\music into userdata/library/music. You don't need to copy the other folders, only the music one. Then add the roles folder, and all will look much better.

One issue about "custom nodes" is that the main menu does not reflect changes to the deafult nodes (in our case "music") unless you make additional manual changes that get wiped out once the skin get updated.

Some skins have made changes to allow this, but most have not. Particularly, my beloved Transparency! is not supporting this. Some more context and feature request below:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=183943
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=182438)%3f

I am curious how others have solved the issue?
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
(2016-01-10, 05:28)steve1977 Wrote: One issue about "custom nodes" is that the main menu does not reflect changes to the deafult nodes (in our case "music") unless you make additional manual changes that get wiped out once the skin get updated.

Some skins have made changes to allow this, but most have not. Particularly, my beloved Transparency! is not supporting this. Some more context and feature request below:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=183943
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=182438)%3f

I am curious how others have solved the issue?

Need someone with more knowledge about skins to comment. I do know that skin support for Kodi features varies (and that it is down to the designer what they implement). Checking the skin comparison wiki http://kodi.wiki/view/Skin_features_compatibility_list that says that Transparency does support custom home items, but is that wrong?

For new features the core code has to change first, and then skinners may implement changes. I had thought that custom nodes had been around for enough versions to become generally available, not so good if that isn't true. I can have some input in the system default skin (Confluence), and hope that a test version of the song info dialog will be available soon to go with my build. But other skins are down to the skinner.
No, it's not wrong per se. Transparency! supports custom home items. So, you can add a new home icon labeled "Classical music" and add a custom node to it.

The part that is not working is to change what node is associated to the existing home icon "Music". More context here: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=224512&page=3

So, if you "just" want to add "Classical Music", you are good with basically any skin. If you prefer to customize what is part of the default "Music" item, you are down to a few numbers of skins (Aeon Nox and Metro being two of them).
I believe work was done to make main menu items work with nodes automatically. Don't think it was ever finished though...

Thats a bit beyond the scope of this work and something for the future. It would be nice certainly.

For now you need to either edit the skin, or use one of the add-ons that does that for you.

EDIT: to say that this only applies to the main menu. Once you are in the music menu, all nodes should show up automatically.
Good Day Blake,
How do i get the custom tag in my mp3 files "Producer" to show up in Kodi? i downloaded the test build and the xml files which didnt have the producer.xml file in it .
(2016-01-12, 22:14)KiddK0di Wrote: Good Day Blake,
How do i get the custom tag in my mp3 files "Producer" to show up in Kodi? i downloaded the test build and the xml files which didnt have the producer.xml file in it .
Glad that you are trying this out. Smile

As it is a pre-alpha test version there is a bit more work for users to do to see what this build can do. Apologies to all if my guidence has been a bit patchy, you are testing that too.

To create a "Producers" node that will list all the people scanned in as producers, and to override the system albumartistsonly setting in case it is enabled, create the following xml file.
Code:
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
<node order="6" type="folder">
<label>Producers</label>
<icon>DefaultMusicGenres.png</icon>
<path>musicdb://artists/?role=Producer&albumartistsonly=false</path>
</node>

To see the producer displayed for a song this needs a change to the skin. If you have some skinning knowledge, some users do, then the info label ListItem.Property(Role.Producer) can be used. Otherwise I am afraid we have to wait for the skinners to do some updates for us. I have a test version of SongInfoDialog.xml, that could be copied over the Confluence file if you are happy to do that, but I am not expecting you to try that unless you have some understanding of skins.

Do feedback how that goes.
Moving one step nearer to merge.... PR8015 that adds processing for the following tags:
COMPOSER (TCOM)
CONDUCTOR (TPE3)
LYRICIST (TEXT)
REMIXER (TPE4)
ENSEMBLE / BAND / ORCHESTRA (TXXX:Ensemble)
ARRANGER,
ENGINEER,
PRODUCER,
DJMIXER,
MIXER
PERFORMER=artist (instrument) (TIPL and TMCL)

A more recent test version is here 69f7f76

This has a mod to Confluence Song Info dialog that shows composer etc. if it was in the tag data. It also makes some of the custom nodes part of the standard hierarchy.The JSON API is also more complete (just in case someone wants to try that).

Testing and feedback welcome. Scan in music with these tags and have a play.
Good Day Blake,
Should i still use the dropbox xml files with this new build you just provided?
The link you provided gives a 404 error. Theres no such file on the win32 test build page (201601168-Head) but i downloaded KodiSetup-20160117-69f7f76-HEAD.exe . By default in this build after scanninng certain tracks i find roles listed with the other nodes in the music library, when clicked on i find only composers listed which does work, how would i get "producer" and "djmixer" to show up?
I am using foobar2000 to tag my mp3s and i just noticed that when i create a custom field foobar adds "<...>" after the word, Example <PRODUCER> maybe this is why the nodes in kodi library are not showing up.

Nevermind that, dont believe that is the issue, i just added a custom field Conductor to a mp3 file and did a rescan in Kodi and it came right up. I downloaded a program called mp3tag and looked at all tags listed and producer wasnt on the list but there were many others
Hi Kiddkodi, thanks for testing and feedback. I have fixed that link.

At the risk of confusing everyone, those that understand custom nodes a little may find the examples in drop box interesting. But no they are not essential. By default the role based nodes use the system albumartistonly setting. This may be why you don't see producers (if you have tagged them?) For a quick check, change your system setting of "Include those artists that are only on Compilations" (such a poor name for what it does IMO), otherwise create a custom node with albumartistonly=false.

If that is all to much shorthand than ask and I will elaborate.
Good Day Blake,
If you don't mind can you elaborate.
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[split] Improved Classical Music Browsing3