• 141(current)
Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio
Dear Noggin,

What is the best Linux hardware [ box or what else ] to run Kodi on?
@halfelite alerted me to this, but after numerous firmwares, it appears Popcorn Hour VTEN 3D player has finally achieved perfection (MVC MKV & ISO, proper FPS, forced subs, etc.). Too bad no Kodi. Recall a Kodi/Sigma partnership had looked like might happen at one point, but never did.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
(2016-01-10, 19:52)dylantje Wrote: Dear Noggin,

What is the best Linux hardware [ box or what else ] to run Kodi on?

Depends what you need to do. There isn't a single 'best'...

HD Audio bitstreaming?
HD Audio decoded to PCM?
3D MVC decode?
Live TV + PVR back-end?
HEVC decode - 8-bit? 10-bit?
4K? 30fps ? 60fps ?
Deinterlacing?
DVD VIDEO_TS/ISO?
(2016-01-10, 19:53)hdmkv Wrote: @halfelite alerted me to this, but after numerous firmwares, it appears Popcorn Hour VTEN 3D player has finally achieved perfection (MVC MKV & ISO, proper FPS, forced subs, etc.). Too bad no Kodi. Recall a Kodi/Sigma partnership had looked like might happen at one point, but never did.

Did you miss my post; 2210108 (post)
Setting up the box right now.
Tested MVC-3D and 3D ISO. All working great with 3D subtitles over SMB.
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER
INTEL DN2820FYKH NUC 2D/3D WINDOWS
ACER HD9500BD / MARANTZ SR7009 ATMOS 7.1.4

Oops, I did miss it. No Kodi is the significant kicker though... once you get used to Kodi UI, skins & its management of your movies & TV shows, other front-ends just don't compare. BTW, out of curiosity, how does VTEN's PQ compare w/HiMedia Q5's w/Imprex engine?
My HT
(2016-01-10, 20:21)hdmkv Wrote: Oops, I did miss it. No Kodi is the significant kicker though... once you get used to Kodi UI, skins & its management of your movies & TV shows, other front-ends just don't compare. BTW, out of curiosity, how does VTEN's PQ compare w/HiMedia Q5's w/Imprex engine?

I agree 100% about the Kodi gui etc. That's why I will swap this box once a 100% Kodi solution arrives.
But using NMJToolbox 2 is easy and does the job for now. Good IOS apps for iPAD and iPhone, just select the movie and start playing.

No Cinema Experience now unless I run a second Kodi box..

VTEN has VXP and looks darn good, but I can't compare it with the Q5. The Q5 is already back at Futeko and I did only test the 3D ISO's for the subs.

Some time ago when I was still using a Windows HTPC with KODI, I coded some scripts to use the A400 and Mede8er as external Player. This worked but was not really functional due to the slow input switching and slow signal adoption of my Projector.
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER
INTEL DN2820FYKH NUC 2D/3D WINDOWS
ACER HD9500BD / MARANTZ SR7009 ATMOS 7.1.4

(2016-01-10, 20:06)opeters Wrote:
(2016-01-10, 19:53)hdmkv Wrote: @halfelite alerted me to this, but after numerous firmwares, it appears Popcorn Hour VTEN 3D player has finally achieved perfection (MVC MKV & ISO, proper FPS, forced subs, etc.). Too bad no Kodi. Recall a Kodi/Sigma partnership had looked like might happen at one point, but never did.

Did you miss my post; 2210108 (post)
Setting up the box right now.
Tested MVC-3D and 3D ISO. All working great with 3D subtitles over SMB.

Last I checked, this is a kodi forum.Big Grin
Once kodi is properly added to their hardware then they deserve a discussion in this forum.
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
Yes I did disable it when I got the new TV. So I would need the Flirc.

Decided for now I am going to build a PI based player. If it not as good as I hopped it can go in the bedroom. I do plan to buy / build another player for my son soon, so may look at the Q5. That way I can place which ever device where I feel its best to place.

Managed to get all parts for £65.50 delivered :-)

FLIRC Raspberry Pi Case
FLIRC - RPi USB XBMC IR Remote Receiver
Raspberry Pi 2 - Model B
Micro USB Power Supply for the Raspberry Pi (5V 2A)

Not sure if I need heat sinks but I may order a kit just in case.

Thanks everyone.
(2016-01-10, 21:39)walkersway Wrote: Not sure if I need heat sinks but I may order a kit just in case.

You don't need a heat sink anyway, but the FLIRC case actually has one built in, so don't buy a separate one.
(2016-01-10, 21:27)movie78 Wrote: Last I checked, this is a kodi forum.Big Grin
Once kodi is properly added to their hardware then they deserve a discussion in this forum.
Absolutely, but one can't have blinders on either if seeking ultimate video playback being first-and-foremost in any media players out there. If only to serve as a reference for what a 3D player w/Kodi should match. On that note, back to our regularly scheduled programming Wink ...
My HT
(2016-01-10, 21:42)popcornmix Wrote:
(2016-01-10, 21:39)walkersway Wrote: Not sure if I need heat sinks but I may order a kit just in case.

You don't need a heat sink anyway, but the FLIRC case actually has one built in, so don't buy a separate one.

I thought I saw someone say that :-)

Thanks.
Koying has come up with a fix for the green macroblocks in the ssif demuxing (used when playing 3D ISO files).
Seems to have fixed "The Amazing Spiderman" for me. If you have had this problem before then give tonight's Milhouse build a try.
Latest Milhouse 17 build? Haven't tested since the last v16 build, but had the green pixellation w/Avatar I think (or maybe it was another title); will try it when I'm back home in a week.
My HT
(2016-01-10, 21:46)popcornmix Wrote: Koying has come up with a fix for the green macroblocks in the ssif demuxing (used when playing 3D ISO files).
Seems to have fixed "The Amazing Spiderman" for me. If you have had this problem before then give tonight's Milhouse build a try.

Had a couple of file with green macroblocks, will certainly test it tonight.

Thanks for the heads up!
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
It's out Smile ... sucks as I'm on business travel until Thursday Sad.
My HT
  • 141(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio17