• 66(current)
WeTek Core (24p HD Netflix / HD Audio / Lollipop / OpenELEC / 4K / HEVC)
(2016-01-11, 19:54)BORIStheBLADE Wrote: Good news! Looking forward to this getting finalized.
Just for curiosity, may I ask why you need Dolby/DTS decoders on the Core? Are you connecting it to a TV without an AVR?
(2016-01-11, 19:56)wesk05 Wrote:
(2016-01-11, 19:54)BORIStheBLADE Wrote: Good news! Looking forward to this getting finalized.
Just for curiosity, may I ask why you need Dolby/DTS decoders on the Core? Are you connecting it to a TV without an AVR?
Bedroom TV has no AVR. Living room has the AVR.

Core is a terrific box, just missing HD audio passthru, and needing to work out a few small kinks. Now probably not long before Amlogic S912 boxes, but as with any new chips, S9xx needs some work to improve (heck, even S8xx, which has been out a while).
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
If/when the Core gets a DTS license with the next firmware, will it support 7.1 passthrough?
(2016-01-12, 02:51)doug Wrote: If/when the Core gets a DTS license with the next firmware, will it support 7.1 passthrough?

Nope - a licence won't make that work.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2016-01-12, 02:51)doug Wrote: If/when the Core gets a DTS license with the next firmware, will it support 7.1 passthrough?

HD audio passtrough is general issue on S8xx. License is only needed if you are watching movies directly in movie player. Kodi (Android) /OpenELEC decode audio over ffmpeg.

We are planning to release soon update.

Btw. We are working on possible HD Audio passthrough solution at least for OpenELEC
Sounds great! I like my little core so much Smile
What i noticed is that the quality of Netflix is much more better than from my Apple TV 3 or from my Philips TV.
AFAIK use the ATV and Philips 1080p as well, right?
(2016-01-12, 13:33)clickingfast Wrote: Sounds great! I like my little core so much Smile
What i noticed is that the quality of Netflix is much more better than from my Apple TV 3 or from my Philips TV.
AFAIK use the ATV and Philips 1080p as well, right?

It's possible that the Wetek Core is the only source you have showing Netflix 24p natively. (If you have used the refresh rate switcher app on the core). The ATV2,3 and 4 all output 60Hz with 3:2 and don't output 24Hz native. Some Netflix Smart TV apps apparently also do the same (could be your Philips is one of them) (*)

(*) Do Philips actually exist as a TV maker any more - thought the brand had been sold off (to different companies in North America and Europe) and were now more likely to be badge-engineered.
(2016-01-12, 12:05)droidelec Wrote:

HD audio passtrough is general issue on S8xx. License is only needed if you are watching movies directly in movie player. Kodi (Android) /OpenELEC decode audio over ffmpeg.

Btw. We are working on possible HD Audio passthrough solution at least for OpenELEC
Okay. I'll keep watching for it...

PCM would work too, I guess. The cnx-software review indicates PCM for most audio formats. Is 7.1 PCM working properly?
(2016-01-12, 17:02)doug Wrote:
(2016-01-12, 12:05)droidelec Wrote:

Okay. I'll keep watching for it...

PCM would work too, I guess. The cnx-software review indicates PCM for most audio formats. Is 7.1 PCM working properly?

The Core is PCM 2.0/DD/DTS only at the moment. No multichannel PCM output AIUI, PCM output will be 2.0. (Same as the ODroid C1/C1+)

cmx-software is always a bit hit-and-miss with AV playback reports IME.
(2016-01-12, 20:20)noggin Wrote: The Core is PCM 2.0/DD/DTS only at the moment. No multichannel PCM output AIUI, PCM output will be 2.0. (Same as the ODroid C1/C1+)
I don't know, ChristianTroy's report seem to indicate that multichannel LPCM is possible for Dolby TrueHD: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2171846

He has a S812 development board. Retail Core has S812-H SoC. So, his results may be irrelevant.
Thanks. I'll wait to see some confirmation first.
Some Core users may recall this statement from...
(2016-01-09, 23:36)fritsch Wrote: And concerning your picture quality: On Linux we don't have influence at all on what reaches the screen when AMLogic hwdecoder / render is in use, we can only tell where it should be output. Kodi can only influence the overlays :-)
So if you don't like the transparency level of the codec screen we can adjust that. The rest is done by a Black box....
Yes the Black Box where the magic AML video processing happens.
Well that got me thinking...

Its a well know fact that all AML boxes have issues with Interlaced mpeg2 .vob files found on DVD .ISO Rips.
You can work around this issue as by getting this problematic mpeg2 content to software ffmpeg decode but then you end up with stuttering still because the Software Deinterlacer and AML Black Box VPU Hardware deinterlacer are fighting each other.

Simply Turn the Software Deinterlacer off completely when mpeg2 Software decoding and Bobs your Unkle, let the AML Black Box VPU handle the deinterlacing !
Smile

(2016-01-14, 14:45)wrxtasy Wrote: Some Core users may recall this statement from...
(2016-01-09, 23:36)fritsch Wrote: And concerning your picture quality: On Linux we don't have influence at all on what reaches the screen when AMLogic hwdecoder / render is in use, we can only tell where it should be output. Kodi can only influence the overlays :-)
So if you don't like the transparency level of the codec screen we can adjust that. The rest is done by a Black box....
Yes the Black Box where the magic AML video processing happens.
Well that got me thinking...

Its a well know fact that all AML boxes have issues with Interlaced mpeg2 .vob files found on DVD .ISO Rips.
You can work around this issue as by getting this problematic mpeg2 content to software ffmpeg decode but then you end up with stuttering still because the Software Deinterlacer and AML Black Box VPU Hardware deinterlacer are fighting each other.

Simply Turn the Software Deinterlacer off completely when mpeg2 Software decoding and Bobs your Unkle, let the AML Black Box VPU handle the deinterlacing !
Smile

It's most likely a PTS issue. It detects it as 25fps and not as 50i and therefore the timestamps go fully wrong. You can log out the PTS values like you see here:
http://paste.ubuntu.com/14467624/

And see.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Thanks fritsch,

I will try that next after dinner when I remove my current patches. Current patched implementation works well even if its not that elegant.

• 66(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
WeTek Core (24p HD Netflix / HD Audio / Lollipop / OpenELEC / 4K / HEVC)4