• 190(current)
Release YouTube (IMPORTANT - READ FIRST POST)
They need to come from google/youtube. Third-parties must use the API.
(2016-01-11, 13:21)JasonPell Wrote:
(2016-01-11, 11:33)V8MEM Wrote: switch to youtube-dl to bypass the limits
Switching the plugin to use YouTube DL would be a mammoth effort.

What I do when quota strikes is use youtube on my phone and "cast" the videos to play on kodi by having yazte installed
I usually do it that way anyway. Kore also works for casting from an android phone.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
hi everyone, just signed up so i could post my thanks for the info on adding my own api key to get rid of the search limit error. thanks everyone who posted about this. it works now with no limit so far!
The only reason I use Kodi is to watch youtube on TV. I've been doing this for years. Now it's, get on youtube first thing in the morning, cus a couple hours later it doesn't work anymore !
Does not help I'm on the west coast, I have literally a couple hours on Youtube. Now, these couple hours are getting shorter by the day, until now since a few days it doesn't work at all anymore.
"unknown kind" "daily limit exceed' bla bla bla.

Any solution for this or or we just on the short sticks end from damn google ?
Alternatives to Kodi that uses their own Api key ?
Can this programmer from this mod maybe let us use our own keys, wouldn't that be a nice solution dammit.

I'm so tired of this...
@Oxymorph you clearly need to read back a few pages, even the post immediately before yours!
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
With all due respect to the developer of this addon, and to all the people trying to help out, I too am frustrated and unable to use YouTube anymore.

I think some of you forget that we users are not all on your level. What to you seems like a simple fix to many of us is rocket science.

I've tried reading some of the directions, but when I get to having to "ssh" into something my eyes glaze over and my head hurts. There's hundreds of posts and it's getting hard to follow, much less make sense out of.

I'm a Linux user, so I'm not a total idiot, but I don't do much CLI stuff and I've never used ssh in my life. Most of this stuff is just waaaaaaay over my head. Undecided

Maybe one of the experts here would be kind enough to write a simple easy to follow tutorial?

Thanks very much for reading this, and for any help. :-)
The Kodi wiki is a good place to look for support information. For example SSH (wiki).
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
I managed to change my keys, but I can't sign in...I'm getting an error...(not at home right now so I can't remember the exact error message)

Also I can't uninstall as it tells me that other plugins require the Youtube plugin...

So currently search seems to work fine, and playing videos seems to work fine also... But without being able to sign in I can't see my subscriptions.

I'm reading some of these posts which indicate that I may have to delete a data folder... which folder is that specifically... (I'm using KODI on Windows if that makes a difference)
try deleting the addon_data directory, that should say I'm fresh and new.

Let me know if that doesn't work.

edit: sorry didn't read correctly at first.
(2016-01-12, 22:54)jdf76 Wrote: try deleting the addon_data directory, that should say I'm fresh and new.

Let me know if that doesn't work.

edit: sorry didn't read correctly at first.

Ok thanks... I'll take a look for a folder with that name..
@mrsfixit:
Unfortunately this plugin doesn't have a developer. It's pretty much as is, till someone takes the gauntlet.

Honestly the simple fix for you is to use an older like helix or a beta version like jarvis.

Reason why i say this is that it doesn't require any type of editing, all you do is install it. mind it though when you change versions it does come with some other problems.

I'm sorry if that doesn't help but thats the best suggestion i have other than editing the client file

Thank you,
Jeff

(2016-01-12, 22:16)mrsfixit Wrote: With all due respect to the developer of this addon, and to all the people trying to help out, I too am frustrated and unable to use YouTube anymore.

I think some of you forget that we users are not all on your level. What to you seems like a simple fix to many of us is rocket science.

I've tried reading some of the directions, but when I get to having to "ssh" into something my eyes glaze over and my head hurts. There's hundreds of posts and it's getting hard to follow, much less make sense out of.

I'm a Linux user, so I'm not a total idiot, but I don't do much CLI stuff and I've never used ssh in my life. Most of this stuff is just waaaaaaay over my head. Undecided

Maybe one of the experts here would be kind enough to write a simple easy to follow tutorial?

Thanks very much for reading this, and for any help. :-)
Ok I think I got it working... someone else who has their's working should confirm that I've got this documented correctly...
(if this doesn't fix, or you mess things up you should be able to uninstall and reinstall the youtube plugin and it will reset to the default settings)

First uninstal the YOUTUBE addon (you probably don't have to do this but it was just cleaner this way I didn't have to delete any folders)

Then reinstal the YOUTUBE addon... don't sign in

Close KODI

Thent go to
https://console.developers.google.com/apis/

Click on Credentials, then New Credentials, then API key, and select Browser Key, give it a name and click Create (this creates the KEY)

Then back to Credentials
Click on Credentials, then New Credentials, then OAuth Client ID, select Other, give it a name and click Create (this creates the ID and SECRET)

At this point you've got 2 sets of credentials

Edited 02/06/16
Verify that the Youtube API is enabled

Go to
https://console.developers.google.com/apis/enabled
Verify that you see YouTube Data API v3 in the list

If it is NOT in the list go to
https://console.developers.google.com/apis/library

Click on the link for YouTube Data Api
Click on Enable API at the top

Go back to
https://console.developers.google.com/apis/enabled

Verify that YouTube Data API v3 is now in the list

End of edit 02/06/16

Locate the file - login_client.py
(On Windows it's located here - C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\plugin.video.youtube\resources\lib\youtube\client

Within the file login_client.py find the section that corresponds to the version of KODI that you're using in my case I'm running version 15.2

youtube-for-kodi-15': {
'system': 'Isengard',
'key': 'aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa',
'id': 'bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb.apps.googleusercontent.com',
'secret': 'ccccccccccccccccccccccccccc'

Set the Key to the Browser API key you created first
Set the ID to the OAuth Client ID you created second
Set the Secret to the Client Secret shown in OAuth Client ID

(Make sure that you're copying and pasting these between the quote marks)

Save the updated login_client.py file

Then launch KODI
Select the YOUTUBE Addon
Select SIGN IN

Then do the 2 x activation thing where you go to
youtube.com/activate

Enter the code from KODI, click NEXT then click ALLOW
Then enter the second code from KODI, click NEXT, then ALLOW

And that should be it... mine seems to be working...
if it's a previously activated, you should sign out of youtube on there. To be honest i would just sign out before uninstalling the addon. This was you're sure the token is completely removed.

if you are using OS X the path would be

/Users/YOURUSERNAME/Library/Application Support/Kodi/addons/plugin.video.youtube/resources/lib/youtube/client

Jeff

(2016-01-13, 01:57)activoice Wrote: Ok I think I got it working... someone else who has their's working should confirm that I've got this documented correctly...
(if this doesn't fix, or you mess things up you should be able to uninstall and reinstall the youtube plugin and it will reset to the default settings)

First uninstal the YOUTUBE addon (you probably don't have to do this but it was just cleaner this way I didn't have to delete any folders)

Then reinstal the YOUTUBE addon... don't sign in

Close KODI

Thent go to
https://console.developers.google.com/apis/

Click on Credentials, then New Credentials, then API key, and select Browser Key, give it a name and click Create (this creates the KEY)

Then back to Credentials
Click on Credentials, then New Credentials, then OAuth Client ID, select Other, give it a name and click Create (this creates the ID and SECRET)

At this point you've got 2 sets of credentials

Locate the file - login_client.py
(On Windows it's located here - C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\plugin.video.youtube\resources\lib\youtube\client

Edit the section that corresponds to the version of KODI that you're using in my case I'm running version 15.2
youtube-for-kodi-15': {
'system': 'Isengard',
'key': 'aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa',
'id': 'bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb.apps.googleusercontent.com',
'secret': 'ccccccccccccccccccccccccccc'

Set the Key to the Browser API key you created first
Set the ID to the OAuth Client ID you created second
Set the Secret to the Client Secret shown in OAuth Client ID

(Make sure that you're copying and pasting these between the quote marks)

Then I launched KODI
Select the YOUTUBE Addon
Select SIGN IN

Then do the 2 x activation thing where you go to
youtube.com/activate

Enter the code from KODI, click NEXT then click ALLOW
Then enter the second code from KODI, click NEXT, then ALLOW

And that should be it... mine seems to be working...
thanks to everyone for the api instructions. got it working on my openelec system, kodi 14.2. pretty simple to do.
I installed Jarvis and that seemed to cure the problem.
  • 190(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
YouTube (IMPORTANT - READ FIRST POST)20