• 5(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
(2016-01-13, 18:46)tyem Wrote: Ok, Thank you for all your support and help today, as i said in my last comment, I will jsut wait for the Wetek Core to become available and i'll go with it.

I'll just have one more question Wetek Core or Matricom G-Box Q ? What will you rather go for?

I know I've been a pain with all these questions so.. thanks again, you guys have been awesome.

Same answer, Wetek Core. It's probably the best device in it's price range for either streaming or local content. It can dual-boot both Android and Open ELEC , something a lot of devices in this price range can't , has good support on their forums and here , has a lot of playback possiblities (4K @ 8bit , 1080p , Netflix 1080p etc.).

The Wetek Play is only worth it if you are interested in Tv Tuners, aside from that it's mostly inferior.
Hi all,
First actual post but have been following for a while.
I've got a fair few boxes running Kodi (Pi1, Apple TV2, Fire TV Stick) and my main box in the living room is a Mac Mini running Jarvis beta and also acts as a SMB Server and iTunes Server. Its starting to become a bit slow and i have a few problems with it running Kodi so i would like to offload Kodi to a separate box and have the Mini as a server only.
Hoping to be upgrading to a 4K TV in the next few weeks so my question is which box? Looks like its either the Core or Shield?
I do use Netflix but will probably run that directly on the TV i buy (likely a Sony Android 2016 when they're released).
I have a Harmony Remote so IR would be nice although starting to be slow compared to the newer bluetooth remotes (e.g. Fire TV Stick remote).
I also have a Yamaha receiver which is a few years old but does DTS-HD.
Sorry for the long post but i've read this thread too many times to not post!
Cheers
Hi Guys, looking for a bit of help here. Mainly looking for a box for streaming on Kodi (I've gone from the RPi1 to Matricom Gbox MX2 to a T8 box from Droidsticks). I've got a 4k TV already so ideally looking for the best output possible. Would I be right in saying the WeTek Core and NVIDIA Shield are the most popular and best options at the moment? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
schweppy,
Suggestion, get the Sony Android 2016 TV and see how well Kodi runs on that first before pulling the trigger on any other Kodi device.

There is already a Kodi support thread for the Sony Android 2015 TV over here:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=229348

(2016-01-14, 04:32)gm_punk Wrote: Would I be right in saying the WeTek Core and NVIDIA Shield are the most popular and best options at the moment? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
This thread, is titled Updated Jan 2016, so all options listed on Page #1 are the best supported, popular Kodi devices on the market at the moment. Work out what you actually need like 5.1 Audio, HD Audio, 8-bit or 10-bit or HEVC etc and go with that.

Just click all the Hyperlinks, do your own reading and make your own decisions.
All the major bugs and limitations are in the individual hyperlinked threads if they are not already listed.

I'm not listing devices that needs lots of DIY Firmware support that results in users ending up on the Freaktab Website looking for that support.
The Kodi forums are not a Firmware support community, so its buyer beware for those types of devices, especially for Newbs.

(2016-01-14, 04:35)wrxtasy Wrote: schweppy,
Suggestion, get the Sony Android 2016 TV and see how well Kodi runs on that first before pulling the trigger on any other Kodi device.

There is already a Kodi support thread for the Sony Android 2015 TV over here:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=229348

Ah cool, will have a browse through that. I just assumed that it wouldn't be as good as a standalone device.

I went and tried Kodi on a 2015 Sony Android in the shop today and was actually impressed with the smoothness of the GUI. Obviously couldn't try any streaming over SMB...
Hi,

I'm looking for a good media player supporting the following :
- Kodi
- Netflix
- Plex
- IPTV (using Kodi)
- Support of a game streaming app (nvidia and/or steam) to support streaming from my main PC on the TV
- 4k (h265 HW decoding), HDMI 2.0, High-end audio (Dolby Atmos)

I've been looking at several solutions and I will probably go the Wetek/Minix way (the shield being out of the budget).

One question I have regarding Wetek is, why the Openelec edition is cheaper ? Does it only run Openelec and cannot run Android TV ?

It also seems that if I want best hardware available between Wetek and Minix, the Minix NEO U1 would be the way to go ? Am I right ?
Consider Minix X8H+ as well
(2016-01-14, 19:25)Delivereath2 Wrote: Hi,

I'm looking for a good media player supporting the following :
- Kodi
- Netflix
- Plex
- IPTV (using Kodi)
- Support of a game streaming app (nvidia and/or steam) to support streaming from my main PC on the TV
- 4k (h265 HW decoding), HDMI 2.0, High-end audio (Dolby Atmos)

I've been looking at several solutions and I will probably go the Wetek/Minix way (the shield being out of the budget).

One question I have regarding Wetek is, why the Openelec edition is cheaper ? Does it only run Openelec and cannot run Android TV ?

It also seems that if I want best hardware available between Wetek and Minix, the Minix NEO U1 would be the way to go ? Am I right ?
No, for the Netflix, HDMI 2.0, HD Audio - Dolby Atmos and Game Streaming requirements, you are going to have to save up and get the nVIDIA Shield. Don't even look at anything else.

The cheaper WeTek Play you are referring to is for those that want an all in one DVB TV solution in an OpenELEC box. It uses an older slower AMLogic SoC. Much too slow for Android in 2016.

No AMLogic Android hardware from MINIX will give you 1080p Netflix. MINIX will be limited to 480p Max resolution for other DRM video streaming Apps as well, which does not look nice at all on a 55" TV. Sad

Hi,

most answers of my questions i could find in the forum but i have somethings that i could not find or dont understand.

At the moment i have a braswell nuc with 4gb and a ssd. I'm using kodi 15.2 with aeon nox. I play mkv with true HD, dtshd and Atmos. Now i want to play mvc frame packing 3d movies. Output should frame packing and not sbs or hou. 4k is now not needed but nice to have.

I have an pi2 but with aeon nox skin the navigation is not so fast with a large library.

Is there a android Box that could all this playing and have fast Navigation? I want only to use kodi.

The Box should not have any Problems with any of the sound formats and should work stable. Fast Navigation is a important feature for me.

Did i search a dream or is there a Box that have this all?
(2016-01-16, 12:56)Eisi2005 Wrote: Hi,

most answers of my questions i could find in the forum but i have somethings that i could not find or dont understand.

At the moment i have a braswell nuc with 4gb and a ssd. I'm using kodi 15.2 with aeon nox. I play mkv with true HD, dtshd and Atmos. Now i want to play mvc frame packing 3d movies. Output should frame packing and not sbs or hou. 4k is now not needed but nice to have.

I have an pi2 but with aeon nox skin the navigation is not so fast with a large library.

Is there a android Box that could all this playing and have fast Navigation? I want only to use kodi.

The Box should not have any Problems with any of the sound formats and should work stable. Fast Navigation is a important feature for me.

Have a look at The Nvidia shield Android box. Unless you already did! Or maybe the AlienWare Alpha PC.
(2016-01-16, 14:48)nemsis72 Wrote:
(2016-01-16, 12:56)Eisi2005 Wrote: Hi,

The Nvidia shield Android box.

Err - OP quote :
Quote:Now i want to play mvc frame packing 3d movies. Output should frame packing and not sbs or hou
The nVidia Shield has no 3D MVC decode nor frame packed output currently.

Wetek Core has basic 3D MVC decode, but HTAB/HOU output.

Raspberry Pi 2 is probably the only platform with 3D MVC and Frame Packed Output within Kodi - apart possibly from some forked/GPL-breaching boxes that are not popular here. (Windows is the only other option - with a kludge using an external player)
thanks for your answers, so i must wait until there will be a box which fulfilled my claims
Erm, there would not already be a 3D dedicated thread around here some where would there that goes into GREAT detail about 3D devices that output Frame Packed 3D.......if a 3D device is not in there forget about looking any further !!! Wink

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=221407

@wrxtasy Don't know if you remember we talked a lot of an android box for kodi use no more than 1080p etc, had a budget of 70 euros, i streched it to 120 for a wetek core afterall, ( I'm still waiting for it to come back in stock on the wetek site) in the meanwhile i was browsing, and i gut hung up to the Shield. heard it has some issues but nothing that couldn't be fixed by software especially with the upcoming 6.0 Android update. It's a 199 euros with a gamepad and remote included (the 16GB version). The possibility of streaming games at 1080p seems nice also.

Do you have any experience with the remote? Is it good enough for kodi day to day use? For more advanced settings I could use kore on my phone or tablet I think. Mainline being is the remote good for basic use, opening an add-on running a movie or tv series etc.

And it's availability in Belgium is not a problem Big Grin

Does wetek has anything over the shield kodi-wise?
What do you think? Does it worth the price jump (120 to 200)?
Well with wetek you can dual boot into Openelec to get a dedicated kodi HTPC.

But the Shield is definitely more future proof due to HDMI 2.
So personally if I would move to something new then I would spend the extra to get the Shield.
But I currently have so many Openelec set-ups around my house that I'm quite happy at the moment :-)
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28