v16 Repeatable crash when viewing Photos
(Running Kodi 16 Jarvis, beta 3 on Windows 10 x64, AMD APU. Also happens with today's nightly build.)

Bug report:
When I view a particular folder with pictures in a slideshow, then each and every time Kodi crashes when I exit the slideshow. "Kodi stopped working." (or something, this is my translation from my non-English and return to the desktop.

See debug log at http://xbmclogs.com/pdq1pi5ka .

I had put the .pdb in the installation folder, but alas, the generated crash dump / crash log is just an empty file.

I'm not sure the debug log produces much useful info? If I can do anything else to help, let me know!
I tried it again with the current nightly ('beta5'). See debug log: http://xbmclogs.com/pxndmz0z0
Again, even though I downloaded the .pdb and renamed it to Kodi.pdb, there's no dump?

I have no problems with other folders, just with this folder. Perhaps it's because it's rather large (about 5,000 photos)? I exit the slideshow by pressing Backspace, and then after two seconds, Kodi crashes.

The pictures in that folder are OK. I could view them without problems in Isengard, and they also work in other applications.

What happens in the log is the following:
Code:
15:46:49 T:3220   ERROR: CBackgroundInfoLoader::LoadItemCached - Unhandled exception for item smb://PLANTAGE/SubsDownloaded/fotobackdrops/IMG_3545.JPG
15:46:49 T:3220   ERROR: CBackgroundInfoLoader::LoadItemCached - Unhandled exception for item smb://PLANTAGE/SubsDownloaded/fotobackdrops/DSC_3251.JPG
15:46:49 T:3220   ERROR: CBackgroundInfoLoader::LoadItemCached - Unhandled exception for item smb://PLANTAGE/SubsDownloaded/fotobackdrops/IMG_2708.JPG
15:46:49 T:3220   ERROR: CBackgroundInfoLoader::LoadItemCached - Unhandled exception for item smb://PLANTAGE/SubsDownloaded/fotobackdrops/DSC_3190.JPG

(etc. etc. etc.)

15:46:50 T:3220   ERROR: CBackgroundInfoLoader::LoadItemCached - Unhandled exception for item smb://PLANTAGE/SubsDownloaded/fotobackdrops/IMG_0591.JPG
15:46:50 T:3220   ERROR: CBackgroundInfoLoader::LoadItemCached - Unhandled exception for item smb://PLANTAGE/SubsDownloaded/fotobackdrops/IMG_1161.JPG
15:46:50 T:3604   DEBUG: DialogProgress::Open called
15:46:50 T:3604   DEBUG: ------ Window Init (DialogProgress.xml) ------
15:46:50 T:3220   ERROR: CBackgroundInfoLoader::LoadItemCached - Unhandled exception for item smb://PLANTAGE/SubsDownloaded/fotobackdrops/IMG_5170.JPG
15:46:50 T:3604   ERROR: CThread::SpawnThread - fatal error 8 creating thread
15:46:50 T:3220   ERROR: CBackgroundInfoLoader::LoadItemCached - Unhandled exception for item smb://PLANTAGE/SubsDownloaded/fotobackdrops/DSC_3034.JPG
15:46:50 T:3220   ERROR: CBackgroundInfoLoader::LoadItemCached - Unhandled exception for item smb://PLANTAGE/SubsDownloaded/fotobackdrops/IMG_1091.JPG
15:46:50 T:3220   ERROR: CBackgroundInfoLoader::LoadItemCached - Unhandled exception for item smb://PLANTAGE/SubsDownloaded/fotobackdrops/DSC_3172.JPG
15:46:50 T:3220   ERROR: CBackgroundInfoLoader::LoadItemCached - Unhandled exception for item smb://PLANTAGE/SubsDownloaded/fotobackdrops/IMG_0179.JPG
15:46:50 T:3220   ERROR: CBackgroundInfoLoader::LoadItemCached - Unhandled exception for item smb://PLANTAGE/SubsDownloaded/fotobackdrops/IMG_5026.JPG
15:46:50 T:3220   ERROR: CBackgroundInfoLoader::LoadItemCached - Unhandled exception for item smb://PLANTAGE/SubsDownloaded/fotobackdrops/DSC_3076.JPG
15:46:50 T:3220   ERROR: CBackgroundInfoLoader::LoadItemCached - Unhandled exception for item smb://PLANTAGE/SubsDownloaded/fotobackdrops/IMG_1100.JPG
15:46:50 T:3220   DEBUG: Thread BackgroundLoader 3220 terminating
15:46:50 T:3604   ERROR: exception in CApplication::FrameMove()
15:46:50 T:3604   DEBUG: CWinEventsWin32::WndProcWindow is active
15:46:50 T:3604   DEBUG: CWinEventsWin32::WndProc: Focus switched to process C:\Program Files (x86)\Kodi\Kodi.exe
15:46:54 T:3604   DEBUG: CWinEventsWin32::WndProcWindow is active

(EOF)

Kodi seems to detect some fault with a LOT of pictures, even though I know them to be OK. After a second, Kodi crashes. There's not much in the log, but perhaps someone knows what this bug is about?
Just to add, I also get this problem. It occurs when I try to start a recursive slideshow of my entire photo collection (containing a lot of folders and images).

It'll work on individual folders it seems, but trying to run on the whole collection causes a crash (main loop).

I get entries in the log file like this - listing what I think is every folder in the library:

10:52:43 T:7540 ERROR: CBackgroundInfoLoader::LoadItemCached - Unhandled exception for item E:\Photos\Personal\14 January 2006 - Night out\
10:52:57 T:8504 ERROR: CJobWorker:Tonguerocess error processing job cacheimage

Tried this on RC1 of Jarvis this morning to see if it was fixed but still get the crash.
Can someone post such an image please? Best an image with the issue, with that you could reproduce also locally, by copying the image to a single folder and display it from that folder.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2016-01-18, 13:52)fritsch Wrote: Can someone post such an image please?

Hey Fritsch,

With my problem I don't think it's image related as going into the individual folders will allow a slideshow to run (which fails when the slideshow is run from the top level). All my unhandled exception errors are pointing to the folder, not the individual images as well it seems - as opposed to Willemd's which are shown against individual jpg's.
(2016-01-18, 13:55)SlingShotUK Wrote:

Hey Fritsch,

With my problem I don't think it's image related as going into the individual folders will allow a slideshow to run (which fails when the slideshow is run from the top level). All my unhandled exception errors are pointing to the folder, not the individual images as well it seems - as opposed to Willemd's which are shown against individual jpg's.

For your issue I'd say it's samba related. But the other user said he had issues with his E: - though he did not post a Debug Log as you nicely did - and might have sidetracked the discussion.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2016-01-18, 14:26)fritsch Wrote:
(2016-01-18, 13:55)SlingShotUK Wrote:

Hey Fritsch,

For your issue I'd say it's samba related. But the other user said he had issues with his E: - though he did not post a Debug Log as you nicely did - and might have sidetracked the discussion.

I am actually the other user Fritsch. Apologies if I have 'sidetracked' this discussion. I had a similar problem with similar errors so thought it would help to add to this post as it looked like the same problem. Should I post my own thread for this along with the full debug log?
For the future: always post your Debug Log - in > 90% of the cases "i have the same bug" is not the same bug.

As you know, we only have one windows developer - so issues without debuglogs are ignored and issue reports with "me toos" and only one Debug Log are also ignored - not by bad will but cause of "time".
guys, please check the RAM usage of Kodi. I noticed that the meta-data extraction that Kodi does leads to a huuuuuuuge memory peak that isn't freed correctly again. It's not a real memory leak as it's freed up when I close Kodi, but it's stuck somewhere inside Kodi. Please check if this could also be the case for you.
(2016-01-18, 16:47)fritsch Wrote: For the future: always post your Debug Log - in > 90% of the cases "i have the same bug" is not the same bug.

As you know, we only have one windows developer - so issues without debuglogs are ignored and issue reports with "me toos" and only one Debug Log are also ignored - not by bad will but cause of "time".

Ah of course - totally understand the logic and understand that you guys have a ton of other things that need attention, not to mention the lack of Windows devs.
Also take your point on it not often being the same bug.

I think I'm going to wait this one out and see if the final release of Jarvis fixes the problem along with doing some of my own local debugging to avoid bothering you guys anymore with this.

I'm new to Kodi but enjoying the experience so far. Thinking of working on some of my own plugins as well at some point.

Cheers.
(2016-01-18, 17:17)da-anda Wrote: guys, please check the RAM usage of Kodi. I noticed that the meta-data extraction that Kodi does leads to a huuuuuuuge memory peak that isn't freed correctly again. It's not a real memory leak as it's freed up when I close Kodi, but it's stuck somewhere inside Kodi. Please check if this could also be the case for you.

Nice tip - thanks da-anda. I'll take a look and see what memory usage is like when it's trying to kick off the slideshow.
browsing into a folder with loads of pictures (like 1000+ vacation pics) should already show a drastically increased memory usage. Once you start the slideshow the RAM usage should double (at least if it's the same issue I noticed, which constantly crashed my PI). Aborting the "extrating meta-data" dialog that pops up on large picture folders helped in my case - RAM usage is still way off though.
(2016-01-18, 17:32)da-anda Wrote: browsing into a folder with loads of pictures (like 1000+ vacation pics) should already show a drastically increased memory usage. Once you start the slideshow the RAM usage should double (at least if it's the same issue I noticed, which constantly crashed my PI). Aborting the "extrating meta-data" dialog that pops up on large picture folders helped in my case - RAM usage is still way off though.

Excellent. I'll do some tests later. Might be able to move files around to confirm when this occurs - if it's down to that.

frozen on this folder... All other folders, much smaller behave.

Jarvie B5 win7/64/ 12 gigs of ram
what ram usage does the task manager show when Kodi crashed?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Repeatable crash when viewing Photos0