• 1(current)
Music New Features/Improvements Request Summary
Music 
I want to use this thread as a summary of new features and improvements requested for Kodi as a music player. I hope that someone will help me gather all the previous request and wishlists into one master summary rather than the current jumble. It is no guarrantee that features will be implemented, but it would be a good first step to have one list to work from.

It also could be deeply depressing or overwhelming, so please be polite. It is not my fault or anyone elses come to that, that your essential feature has been waiting over 10 years to happen. But I am genuiniely interested in user requirements, and believe this is worthwhile.

It would also be great to mark off when things are completed, or at least indicate when they are being worked on. Progress happens, just slowly sometimes.

So how do we do this? I would love a "music corner" - a forum dedicated to the support, development, requests and feedback on all things music, but in this thread we will stick to feature requests. I'm going to reserve the first few posts, but then please add feature summaries below for me to bring up to the top list. Feel free to collect things mentioned before (they are scattered all over so everyone can help), but do try not to repeat things already listed.

I will edit the top few post as we go along.
Reserved
Reserved #2
A quick few to get this started, there is a big gathering exercie to do. Help!
Then I can pull thm up into the summary.

Remove "Artist" nfo dependancy on folder structure, and instead allow use of a single artist.nfo file to document information about any or all artists. e.g. needed for when more than one artist related to album.

Able to adjust artwork for artist and album and not have it overwritten the next time the scraper runs.

As you listen to music you would be able to assign that song to an existing or new playlist (addon does this?)

The ability to add delete or change information about a song artist or album from library mode.

Store, sortby, display, and playlist rules using count of how many times a playback of a song has been attempted. And albums that have a song you have started playback. Already count when playback is completed, but would be great to know those things you have never even started listening too.

View last date song played completely or just attempted, and be able to sort and play the oldest not played.

Be able delete duplicate songs from the library automatically.
Nice to have all requests in one place

Here's my feature request list from 2014-2016 Music

- A-Z nodes see my PR here and why rejected https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/7518
- Support for Music Decades filtering EG. 1990s, 1980s nodes
- Integrated scraper Music Artist Banners
- Integrated scraper Music Artist Logos
- Top 10 charts from countries (see https://rss.itunes.apple.com/us) example https://itunes.apple.com/us/rss/topalbum...t=true/xml
- Top 5 tunes by each artist (see theaudiodb.com API) example http://www.theaudiodb.com/api/v1/json/1/...2ba2e14234
- Last.fm charts for trending music (see Last.fm API)
- Support for DJ sets via musicbrainz Mix-DJ tag see https://picard.musicbrainz.org/docs/mappings/
- Support for album grouping (Such as for a specific festival, maybe use smart playlists)
- Support to show next Live performance (see songkick.com API) example http://api.songkick.com/api/3.0/artists/...r_api_key}
- Filter tracks by how many stars you rated them. Example, only show tracks that have a 8+ star rating
- Sort tracks by user rating on album view
- Import "mood" and "Style" so they can be filtered as a single text field
- New Bootleg/Live performance default node
- Scanner option to skip unchanged music files, speed up scanning
- Jukebox view A-Z at top, Artist, album, track all on one screen
- Node support on remotes
- Mood partymode. Click a mood and create 100 random songs onto playlist for that mood.
- Node support on main menu (without skin customizations)
- Youtube videos for tracks which have youtube link
- Sync(or cloud backup) user track and album ratings with TheAudioDB.com. Maybe playcount also.

Obviously some of these are better suited to Add-ons...
hello all

Thank you Dave for your list.

If I may; I would like to add these nice to have

- Integration to a music converter
- Option to save MACD made in library to HD ( I spent 4 hrs on MusicBrain editing songs track No just to find out that it did not save to the file)
- Change The music tags from compilation album to original album

I fully agree with Dave's request about the "artist" This would mean :
- Scraping could be done on one hit wonders (45 cover) ok I'm showing my age LOL

Some of the changes mentioned could be done as plug ns others may require modification to the Kodi Tables
. This would be one of the major changes to be done and in my opinion we should start here. The rest becomes much easier
Best regards to all
BikerDude
HTPC with 16gb ram M-Audio LT1010 sound card feeding McIntosh 7205 power amp Magneplanar 2.7r and Velodyne dd12. All connected to Sony smart tv.
All media on 2 fully redundant TrueNas VMs installed on Proxmox servers. Running Kodi. Everything works brilliantly until i screw it up
(2016-01-20, 18:52)zag Wrote: Obviously some of these are better suited to Add-ons...

There's currently no API to deal with addons content from JSON, the more in core the more remotes can extends Kodi to user pockets Smile
One reason why I don't use Kodi for music is because I have organised my music in Itunes via playlists. I have a playlist folder for artists and one for playlists. The artists folder contains playlists of artists that I have complete albums of or at least multiple songs. The playlists folder contains playlists of various artists. I use this method because when I use the normal artist filter, all artists are displayed. If you have a rather large music library with lots of artists that you only have one song of, this gets reaaally messy and makes finding an artist with a whole album kind of annoying. Yeah you could just filter for albums but if you want to shuffle multiple abums of the same artist this doesn't work.

So what I would like to have would be some kind of filter that displays only artists with multiple songs and the option to choose how many songs are the threshold. After you select an artist it should show the albums grouped like: All Songs, Album A, Album B, Album ..., (Various Songs without album).

I don't know if this is complicated to do or if there are a lot of people with this problem, but I would gladly appreciate it as it would make using Kodi for music a viable option for me.
(2016-01-20, 18:23)DaveBlake Wrote: Remove "Artist" nfo dependancy on folder structure, and instead allow use of a single artist.nfo file to document information about any or all artists. e.g. needed for when more than one artist related to album.

I think this would be a smart move. Folder structure dependency makes little sense in a database based scheme, and I think a simplified single nfo would simplify a lot of things, and enable some other requests to be more easily implemented. Having KODI generate the single nfo to begin with for any or all artists if desired would be nice. It also solves the problem of having the same artist in multiple directories (such as in my library where I keep FLAC separate from MP3).
Also it might improve a backup of the music library when moving to another machine. As a side effect it might reduce the load on sites that are used for scraping on a new/fresh install or an update.
This would be my wish:

(2014-05-21, 23:01)DarkHelmet Wrote: More or finer statistics. Right now there are the top 100 songs (of all time) and top 100 (of all time).

My wish would be

Top 100 from last week, last month, last year, all time (Winamp had great statistics)
Top 100 Rock, Pop, Dance, whatever (of all time in that case)
My Top songs from 2013, 2014 (a year toplist)

I have to say that some of these might be possible through smart playlists. At least in the wiki there is an example

http://kodi.wiki/view/Smart_playlist#Rec...ayed_songs

Code:
<rule field="lastplayed" operator="inthelast">
        <value>2 weeks</value>
    </rule>

I have to say that I didn't know that kodi does not only store the absolute numbers of playback but the date of playback too. Montellese states as a response in the other thread that indeed that information is not available.
(2016-01-21, 17:49)DarkHelmet Wrote: I have to say that I didn't know that kodi does not only store the absolute numbers of playback but the date of playback too. Montellese states as a response in the other thread that indeed that information is not available.

Yes song.LastPlayed, been there quite some time from what I can tell. You can use it in smart playlists and custom nodes.

Maybe we could do with many more custom node/playlist examples? I think you can do all that you want using those, have a go!

We could really do with proper database design documentation. Not a list of tables and columns, that is not design, but a narative description of each table, and fields and their relationships. If only there were enough hours in the day!
(2016-01-21, 17:59)DaveBlake Wrote: Maybe we could do with many more custom node/playlist examples? I think you can do all that you want using those, have a go!

Funny you say that, I've been thinking the exact same thing for past week.

When I've got some time I'll create a section on the Wiki where we can give more examples of custom nodes, and then have a thread somewhere users can share any xml's they create and they can be added to the wiki.
I think the database should import the standard Comment tag, and then there could be a sort or filter option on that field. 'Comment' is standard but open tag field that the user could choose to use however he or she desired. For example, I may want put FLAC or MP3 in the comment tag and then choose a smart playlist with only FLAC. Maybe someone would want to use if to flag music with inappropriate language, or HD Audio tracks, etc. In short, a simple way to provide the user with some sorting and filtering customization that would not impact overall functionality or scheme.
Thanks for putting the question out there.

For myself: resume music playback from sleep or hibernate

To elaborate:
1) Ability to put device in sleep or hibernate mode.
2) Resume would see Kodi retain current queue information and track position
3) Setting for "auto play on resume" where music plays from last track or even position

Thanks!
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Music New Features/Improvements Request Summary7