• 115(current)
[HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes
(2015-12-02, 00:04)AuXBoX Wrote: Hey raymw i'm really struggling to find any time to do anything at the moment.
Have a fiddle around here if you can compile and see if theres anything else you can do. I've updated a few things but don't really have much time.

Sorry Auxbox I seem to have missed this post and just by accident come across it. So very sorry for late response.

Sorry but took a look and it is all beyond my abilities mate. Also I do not have Ubuntu or any other Linux OS installed on ay of my machines though thinking of installing Ubuntu on my old Compaq Windows XP laptop which I simply do not use these days with my old Mk 1 iPad taking over that roll. So sadly cannot help much other than with testing out any Isengard MX Linux compiles that you or anyone else here can create. Bobones are you around still mate?? I know you used to create some great MX Linux compiles before too.

Have to say once the problem with installing EmbER on the Geniatech made MyGica ATV1220 has been solved it looks like EmbER will be the way top go. Waiting for Josh from EmbER Developments to come back to me re sorting out the ATV1220 bricking problem once he gets an ATV1220T box himself for them to do the checks with.. Clearly flashing the latest EmbER 2 convert files onto this box must clash with some system NAND memory allocation areas it seems.
Cheers
Raymw
I am curious why are you so sold on Ember, what it gives over MX-Linux apart from maybe Kodi v15 (or is that the selling point, like in view to the future dvelopment?).

Anyway, recently I did install VBS 2013 to compile a game program and now that I have at least some clue, I can say that compiling as such is not where the skills are, they are in getting together the source code in preparation for compiling (which itself is like saving a document in some program). I also looked at the GitHub page but like you ray, I also wouldn't know the first thing. I don't have a clue how you can compile Linux source code with Kodi 'inside it' somehow. Is Kodi even open source and if so, you need somehow to merge linux and kodi source code and compile it into the .img and other files needed for flashing our boxes... I only write this to show how little clue I have LOL and likely the userbase here will not be in much better position.
I flashed Ember 1.01, downloaded from post 1, on to my MyGica520e, and it "bricked" it. All lights on, no video output, no remote response etc.

However I noticed on the router that it was getting an IP and I could ping it. SSH, telnet and FTP failed, so I tried a port scan.
The quick port scan revealed Port 25 (TCP),Port 110 (TCP),Port 119 (TCP),Port 143 (TCP),Port 465 (TCP),Port 563 (TCP),Port 587 (TCP)
Port 993 (TCP),Port 995 (TCP) ports were open.

I find it a curious how a "bricked" unit manages to set it self up online as a mail server.

All attempts to restore to Android or flash another linux version from the SD card failed.
vmstek tt would help a lot if you can say what your make and model of box is and that you are sure you used the appropriate EmbER firmware for your particular box type. Then those in the know will be able to help you better, like either croniccory or Josh5.form EmbER Developments

van141 sorry for delay in replying. Yes I really like EmbER and it is and will be continually updated with the newest KODI versions too. Like EmbER 3 now uses KODI Isengard 14.2 for example. EmbER also has many nice touches too which once installed you will see for yourself after looking around. Even has its own easy maintenance section in the EmbER settings area for example as well as their own very complete and thorough bank up utility too. Nice Confluence based default skin as well. Oh of course do not forget it also has it's OTA auto upgrade/update service for the firmware too, which after some initial teething problems seems to now be sorted. So well worth helping those guys out with the US$10 needed to register and upgrade to the Donor Edition. I believe we should and need to support these guys as they will reliably keep us all up to date with the latest firmware and goodies.
Cheers
Raymw
been awhile since i've been on these forums!

my trusty atv520 is still going strong with ember, but i can't update ember and i can't seem to revert to android. at some point i will probably have to think about moving onto something else so i can move past helix onto isengard. what boxes are people using these days that are running ember 3? anything quad core or dual core? i do find the atv520 is decently fast but even my phone (galaxy 6) with isengard is alot snappier. A coworker had his quad mygica box in and i was giving him a hand and isengard on android was running absolutely perfectly.

just wondering what i should move to for either a) ember 3 with latest kodi, or b) android kodi.
Sure Redi but Isengard on the same hardware will (or certainly should!) always run better on a Linux OS system rather than it being bogged down with Android bloatware. Anyway who, other than mainly kids, wants all the Android bloatware tying up their system resources on a box which for most folk is for streaming Movies, TV Series, Live TV, Music and Sports replays. Web browsing, emails, Angry Birds and other games are far better using your PC or Tablet of course or a proper games machine on yrou TV (I have an old Wii which is more than adequate for me). Nice also to boot straight into KODI too and of course have full true 1080 HD, although I believe this is now possible from an Android platform at long last rather than just upscaled HD 720.

Personally I am not anxious for quad core boxes yet as cannot see how it will improve streaming and snappy operation with an already efficient Linux OS and also I notice like for like quality of boxes the quad cores are quite a bit dearer than the dual core boxes. Also quad core is I believe still not as yet publicly available to flash to quad core Android boxes unless someone here knows better. I still buy in dual core MyGica ATV1220T Android boxes direct form China and flash them to Linux, and they work brilliantly (subject as always to a good internet connection). However note that currently there is unfortunately still a problem flashing the ATV1220T box from original Android to EmbER 2 (you cannot flash straight to EmbER 3 only through the Donar Edition upgrade path once registered) but Josh at EmbER knows all about this problem and I think he is working on it at the moment so once that problems is fixed the ATV1220T dual core box will be ideal..

As to your ATV520 well yes they are a good box but will not support WiFi in Linux as no drivers were ever built into any of the Linux firmware compiles including EmbER. But if you have EmbER 1 or 2 on your ATV520 then if you are registered to EmbER Donor Edition (heck for those hesitating then come on as only a one off US$10) then y ou should be able to auto upgrade to EmbER 3 OTA (Over The Air) . EmbER 3 is nice with Isengard 15.2 built in of course BUT I understand there is some instability problems with it on the ATV520 boxes and as with all Linux firmware there will be no WiFi support. .

Best bet is to get yourself a now post production MyGica ATV1200 box if you can still source one, and install EmbER on it, register it and upgrade to the latest EmbER 3 Donor Edition, then you will have WiFi too of course as there is no problem with WiFi and any Linux builds on the ATV1200 and 1220 boxes. Once Josh at EmbER has sorted out the problem with installing EmbER on the ATV1220T boxes then, as I mentioned above, go for one of those very nice dual core boxes as they are still being manufactured with no plans to end production just yet I am reliably informed, and they are also much cheaper than the quad core equivalent boxes.
Cheers
Raymw
I have noticed Ember v3.0 has started freezing on the video in places, with the audio continuing and eventually the video "catches up". I've also noticed this issue has been brought up on the XDA developers site, although I don't seem to be able to contribute to that thread as I'm not a developer.... but regardless it shows it's not just me. I'm running Ember 3 on an ATV1200, anyone else noticing these issues? I hope they resolve it in the next release.
(2016-01-20, 13:06)p_turner_uk Wrote: I have noticed Ember v3.0 has started freezing on the video in places, with the audio continuing and eventually the video "catches up". I've also noticed this issue has been brought up on the XDA developers site, although I don't seem to be able to contribute to that thread as I'm not a developer.... but regardless it shows it's not just me. I'm running Ember 3 on an ATV1200, anyone else noticing these issues? I hope they resolve it in the next release.

Actually further to the post above. I rolled back to Ember 2.02, same issue..... reinstalled Version 2 from the front page, Helix (with the penguin front end) .... and still the same. Looking around others have suggested turning off hardware acceleration but this just makes the box pretty much unusable. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm starting to feel like I need something better than the ATV1200.
(2016-01-25, 18:48)p_turner_uk Wrote: Actually further to the post above. I rolled back to Ember 2.02, same issue..... reinstalled Version 2 from the front page, Helix (with the penguin front end) .... and still the same. Looking around others have suggested turning off hardware acceleration but this just makes the box pretty much unusable. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm starting to feel like I need something better than the ATV1200.
I have noticed this too on my ATV1200 running AuXBoX's 14.2 Helix build. So far I have tried running Isengard 15.2 on my (ancient) laptop and it does not do the same thing. I think I shall have to try running 14.2 Helix on my laptop. I, too, am starting to think the ATV1200 cannot cope and am considering a NUC5CPYH.
(2016-01-25, 19:20)Grand Total Wrote:
(2016-01-25, 18:48)p_turner_uk Wrote: Actually further to the post above. I rolled back to Ember 2.02, same issue..... reinstalled Version 2 from the front page, Helix (with the penguin front end) .... and still the same. Looking around others have suggested turning off hardware acceleration but this just makes the box pretty much unusable. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm starting to feel like I need something better than the ATV1200.
I have noticed this too on my ATV1200 running AuXBoX's 14.2 Helix build. So far I have tried running Isengard 15.2 on my (ancient) laptop and it does not do the same thing. I think I shall have to try running 14.2 Helix on my laptop. I, too, am starting to think the ATV1200 cannot cope and am considering a NUC5CPYH.

Yeah they look pretty good. I assume they come bare bones and you put on your own operating system?
(2016-01-25, 20:54)p_turner_uk Wrote:
(2016-01-25, 19:20)Grand Total Wrote:

Yeah they look pretty good. I assume they come bare bones and you put on your own operating system?
Yes, add RAM and storage. I have a Windows 10 license, but I'm thinking Ubuntu or similar.
(2016-01-26, 00:01)Grand Total Wrote:
(2016-01-25, 20:54)p_turner_uk Wrote:
(2016-01-25, 19:20)Grand Total Wrote: I have noticed this too on my ATV1200 running AuXBoX's 14.2 Helix build. So far I have tried running Isengard 15.2 on my (ancient) laptop and it does not do the same thing. I think I shall have to try running 14.2 Helix on my laptop. I, too, am starting to think the ATV1200 cannot cope and am considering a NUC5CPYH.

Yes, add RAM and storage. I have a Windows 10 license, but I'm thinking Ubuntu or similar.

Sure..... basically I just want something reliable that will play films flawlessly through samba or similar. I don't really care what it is, what brand, or what operating system, I just want it to work so I can forget about it....... I have spent way too much time on these ATV1200 boxes.
I wonder if anyone could recommend a setup that could be purchased without having to add things to it? ..... that would just work great with Kodi?
I can do you a setup for free that will have everything you could want. PM me if your interested.
I love the ATV1200 and ATV1220 boxes they are IMHO one of the very best. They run MX Linux KODI Helix 14.2 build from Auxbox dated 14/04/15 brilliantly with absolutely no problems. Very reliable and very stable. In fact I feel the ATV1200 box seems to be about the very best at running this firmware. I also have an ATV1200 I have had some while and now running EmbER 3 DE and extremely stable and fast, though there are still some problems initially flashing the first needed EmbER 2.0.2 convert to virgin ATV1200/1220 Android boxes. Once sorted, EmbER 3 with Isengard 15.2 Donor Edition will be the way to go for sure and will be continually updated with OTA upgrades. I hear of some exciting new developments at EmbER as well as some small bug fix updates to EmbER 3 which should be coming soon..

You must have some corruption in your Helix 14.2 installation or a corrupt add-on causing the problem. If you know how you could try going to the recovery screen and doing a Factory Reset, then reboot and install RobWebers backup add-on from the KODI repository and restore to your last good backup, or if you have no back up already then first make sure you run a backup before starting the above procedure (my boxes do an auto scheduled backup, including Database and Profiles areas too,to the SD card every week and keep only the last 3 only).

Wherever I have seen the problem you have (pretty rare) with any of my configured ATV1200/1220 box users I carry out this procedure or talk them through it over the phone/Skype, and it has always cured such instability problems. There is normally no need to completely reinstall the MX Linux KODI firmware.

Of course as always the caveat is that you carry out the above procedure entirely at your own risk.
Cheers
Raymw
  • 115(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes5