• 153(current)
Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio
You may be right... but, think both present 3D format and 4K Blu-ray format's futures are iffy.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
(2016-01-28, 00:13)halfelite Wrote:
(2016-01-27, 22:44)hdmkv Wrote:
(2016-01-27, 21:39)tate1293 Wrote: Has anyone heard any indication that there will be PC bluray drives able to read UHD blurays and what the copy protection situation is... whether we'll be able to rip them or not?
None announced as yet. Also no 3D spec for 4K yet. Will 4K Blu-rays will be a niche within a niche format? I've always been an early adopter, and I'm not jumping in this time.

3D is dead. Part of the 4K bluray specs is backwards compatibility on Bluray players do not have to support 3D its optional. So out the door new hardware does not need to support old 3D bluray. The Chairman of the Blu-ray Disc Association had said numerous times 4K will not get a 3D update.

As far movie theater still play 3D movies,3D will never die Cool
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
(2016-01-28, 00:50)hdmkv Wrote: You may be right... but, think both present 3D format and 4K Blu-ray format's futures are iffy.

4k bluray itself might be niche and the format iffy but UHD is not and is here to stay, cable, sat, streaming its all starting to get UHD content and im pretty sure 1080p TV/projectors are almost a thing of the past.,
Main System - HTPC - Intel I3 6300 - Asrock z170 - 16 GB DDR4 - 128gb SSD - 65" UHD HDR Sony Android TV - Pioneer VSX 1130-K - 7.2.2 speakers
Other devices currently in use - 55" 3D UHD LG TV - 2 Fire TV's - Nexus Player - MiniMX s905 - Voyo Vmac Mini
Ubuntu Server - 12 TB NAS - MYSQL - Torrent Box
(2016-01-28, 02:58)dukester Wrote:
(2016-01-28, 00:50)hdmkv Wrote: You may be right... but, think both present 3D format and 4K Blu-ray format's futures are iffy.

4k bluray itself might be niche and the format iffy but UHD is not and is here to stay, cable, sat, streaming its all starting to get UHD content and im pretty sure 1080p TV/projectors are almost a thing of the past.,

Your enthusiasm is quite youthful but your reasoning is very flawed. UHD content is slowly trickling out on a few streaming services but it's not actually 4K. It's compressed to the lowest quality that's barely passable and then sent via ever more restrictive delivery means.

4K TV's are a way for manufactures to earn more margin after cutting themselves extremely short by constantly slashing prices when they moved to LCD so now your shiny 4K logo comes with a nice premium. 4K projector's might as well be Ferarri at the moment.

The Superbowl isn't even being broadcast in 4K this year nor is Wrestlemania. Even the write-up about the Superbowl states it's not available even though the broadcast will be "enhanced", what ever that means. The NHL just did their first game in supposed 4K and the entire time they lied to the public claiming 4K is 4 times the resolution of HD. Many channels can't even broadcast actual 1080i and many times still F-up even widescreen 480 content by wasting half the screen with black space.

As DVD still clogs store shelves and the highly vast majority of consumers seem to be perfectly happy with DVD quality or worse through Netflix and other streaming junk services 4K TVs won't see true 4K content in any capacity by at least 95% of 4K TV owners until there is no other option and they are forced to accept higher quality content and the higher price that comes with it.

True 4K is a nice dream, but for the next 20 years it's going to be barely a blip in the content market but a ton of hype consumers will pay for by name. I mean people used to boast about their CRT TV having 500 lines of resolution when playing Super Mario Bros. on it with what, 200 lines available max? YouTube quality is what has become acceptable to the North American market and don't think for a second broadcasters and streaming services don't know this are are squeezing every bit of quality out of their product they can in order to pinch pennies just like McDonald's now serves you the absolute minimum passable because giving you a quarter ounce more ketchup on your big mac would cost them millions in profit a year.
(2016-01-28, 02:41)movie78 Wrote:
(2016-01-28, 00:13)halfelite Wrote:
(2016-01-27, 22:44)hdmkv Wrote: None announced as yet. Also no 3D spec for 4K yet. Will 4K Blu-rays will be a niche within a niche format? I've always been an early adopter, and I'm not jumping in this time.

3D is dead. Part of the 4K bluray specs is backwards compatibility on Bluray players do not have to support 3D its optional. So out the door new hardware does not need to support old 3D bluray. The Chairman of the Blu-ray Disc Association had said numerous times 4K will not get a 3D update.

+1
(2016-01-28, 10:11)Skank Wrote:
(2016-01-28, 02:41)movie78 Wrote:
(2016-01-28, 00:13)halfelite Wrote: 3D is dead. Part of the 4K bluray specs is backwards compatibility on Bluray players do not have to support 3D its optional. So out the door new hardware does not need to support old 3D bluray. The Chairman of the Blu-ray Disc Association had said numerous times 4K will not get a 3D update.

+1

Absolutely. And the BDA is shooting themselves in the foot for making such boasts and ruling out things for the future. 4K disc is DOA before it even launches because studios still support the lowest common denominator and push DVDs out the door. There's been plenty of opportunity to move consumers to HD physical media but because stupid Walmart shoppers can't "see the difference" DVD still continues to outsell BD. 4K will die faster then 3D because studios will continue to try and gouge customers for it while giving the option to buy DVD. They will "give up" within 3 years. Unless they kill DVD outright. The first step, No Force Awakens on DVD in any capacity. #1 movie ever and Walmart mom's must buy the BD version at least would begin the end of DVD. But it will not happen. DVD will be around until the end of physical media when sadly compressed streaming junk will be forced on people who prefer actual quality because so many sheep as easily herded.

Again Nvidia, I have money. Do you want it? No. Well why notHuh
http://www.futeko.com/products/MP067.php

Smile
(2016-01-28, 10:56)Skank Wrote: http://www.futeko.com/products/MP067.php

Smile

Thanks for the link. I'm a bit confused about the specs, though. It says 10 bit color support AND Dolby Vision. I was under the impression that Dolby Vision was 12 bit pr. channel. Anybody has any input on this?
@hdmkv

Maybe an idea to split the 3d list of movies from this topic and make it a sticky

What i would want to propose is:
to add time settings to the movie title... to a specific part, so people could demo the movie ...
a start and end time frame would rock
(2016-01-28, 05:24)Dave the Minion Wrote:
(2016-01-28, 02:58)dukester Wrote:

Your enthusiasm is quite youthful but your reasoning is very flawed. UHD content is slowly trickling out on a few streaming services but it's not actually 4K. It's compressed to the lowest quality that's barely passable and then sent via ever more restrictive delivery means.

4K TV's are a way for manufactures to earn more margin after cutting themselves extremely short by constantly slashing prices when they moved to LCD so now your shiny 4K logo comes with a nice premium. 4K projector's might as well be Ferarri at the moment.

The Superbowl isn't even being broadcast in 4K this year nor is Wrestlemania. Even the write-up about the Superbowl states it's not available even though the broadcast will be "enhanced", what ever that means. The NHL just did their first game in supposed 4K and the entire time they lied to the public claiming 4K is 4 times the resolution of HD. Many channels can't even broadcast actual 1080i and many times still F-up even widescreen 480 content by wasting half the screen with black space.

As DVD still clogs store shelves and the highly vast majority of consumers seem to be perfectly happy with DVD quality or worse through Netflix and other streaming junk services 4K TVs won't see true 4K content in any capacity by at least 95% of 4K TV owners until there is no other option and they are forced to accept higher quality content and the higher price that comes with it.

True 4K is a nice dream, but for the next 20 years it's going to be barely a blip in the content market but a ton of hype consumers will pay for by name. I mean people used to boast about their CRT TV having 500 lines of resolution when playing Super Mario Bros. on it with what, 200 lines available max? YouTube quality is what has become acceptable to the North American market and don't think for a second broadcasters and streaming services don't know this are are squeezing every bit of quality out of their product they can in order to pinch pennies just like McDonald's now serves you the absolute minimum passable because giving you a quarter ounce more ketchup on your big mac would cost them millions in profit a year.

like it or not UHD isnt going anywhere and its the new standard.

and btw you sound just like the guys who said all that same stuff about bluray and 3D.

Big Grin
Main System - HTPC - Intel I3 6300 - Asrock z170 - 16 GB DDR4 - 128gb SSD - 65" UHD HDR Sony Android TV - Pioneer VSX 1130-K - 7.2.2 speakers
Other devices currently in use - 55" 3D UHD LG TV - 2 Fire TV's - Nexus Player - MiniMX s905 - Voyo Vmac Mini
(2016-01-28, 13:24)Skank Wrote: @hdmkv

Maybe an idea to split the 3d list of movies from this topic and make it a sticky

to add time settings to the movie title... to a specific part, so people could demo the movie ...

sticky it where? not in the hardware section i hope.
Yep. Think we need a mod or Kodi team member to advise... this is a hardware section, and the forum doesn't really have any content discussion area. Discussing 3D demo scenes is probably out of scope here, even if it's about technical merits.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
(2016-01-25, 11:19)ArieS Wrote: My second issue is that the 3D gives me extremely jagged text:

I don't understand why the aspect ratio of the image you have captured it wrong.
Were you in half-SBS mode, rather than frame-packing? (Enable Full HD HDMI modes for steroscopic 3D).
This is my screen capture. Note the text is twice as wide and it looks smoother:
(2016-01-28, 15:43)dukester Wrote: like it or not UHD isnt going anywhere and its the new standard.

and btw you sound just like the guys who said all that same stuff about bluray and 3D.

Big Grin

nm, this isn't the thread to argue stupid over what the new "standard" is.
(2016-01-28, 15:44)dukester Wrote:
(2016-01-28, 13:24)Skank Wrote: @hdmkv

sticky it where? not in the hardware section i hope.

No not here, thatswhy i said to split
  • 153(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio17