• 117(current)
[HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes
(2016-01-28, 22:53)p_turner_uk Wrote: Hi Raymw

I had exactly the same thought and copied the same files I was having problems with to a sd card..... and exactly the same happened which I guess rules out my network. The file plays fine on my pc through vlc player.

One thing I have done which seems to have made a difference (although I have not extensively tested this yet) is in the Ember settings I have changed the CPU Governor from "Performance" to "lagfree" ..... I did this literally a few minutes ago, played the same file and now it's fine. Again it could be co-incidence, but I will keep testing and fingers crossed this maybe the answer.

Yes lagfree is the default setting and I recommend you do not change that or the cpu clocking speed. It works perfectly with the default settings at least for me and all the boxes I have set up running EmbER.
Cheers
Raymw
I had never changed the setting before yesterday, so I am confused you say it was the default setting as mine was on performance??

*edit

Regardless it hasn't solved the problem, it's still skipping and freezing. And to further confuse things, I fresh installed XDAs Gotham... added some videos, and the same issue... skipping and freezing. I have no idea what is going on here. The only thing that makes any sense to me is that this is a Kodi issue.... and/or some plug ins are creating problems.... but who knows.
AFAIK the default setting with EmbER 3 is lagfree as always seems to be that way with all my installs it seems. But maybe someone else can confirm this, though doubtful it will be the problem you have but was worth checking of course..
Cheers
Raymw
(2016-01-29, 18:14)raymw Wrote: AFAIK the default setting with EmbER 3 is lagfree as always seems to be that way with all my installs it seems. But maybe someone else can confirm this, though doubtful it will be the problem you have but was worth checking of course..

Thanks raymw. I'm trying various different things with these boxes to try and sort the issue out, but I'm shooting in the dark really. I've moved over to the darkside (Plex) while I try to find a solution. If I have any luck I will be sure to post whatever worked for me...... it is a shame as Kodi is definitely my preferred option for my home setup.
(2016-01-27, 14:48)raymw Wrote: Remember after the restore is finished you should immediately remove the power plug, wait say 15 seconds or so and then boot it back up again, as that way it should keep all your restored configurations settings like screen calibrations and even the short-cut icons will be there too. So that will save you a lot of time and effort.

Hi ray, recently I did backup as per your excellent advice (prior to backup I deleted the Textures13 file plus the Thumbnails folder and rebooted which regenerated these) and then I restored to a newly MXLinux installed box and pulled the plug when the restore finished. However while most shortcuts did restore, some did not and there was a blank empty spot where they used to be and even uninstalling and reinstalling the particular addons didn't bring them back (those addons you couldn't make even new shortcuts to them in different place, the icon would just not show for the shortcut). What did the trick was deleting the Textures13 files, upon restart all the shortcuts came back.

Not having to redo the shortcuts is quite important to me as I use modified Confluence skin (HWY215 mod) which allows 25 shortcuts for video, I think 12 for other sections and that's a pain to redo them manually. The skin is not supported I understand but works just fine even on Isengard and is good alternative to default skin if you're looking at preserving the default skin speed while having more shortcuts.

Also wanted to mention, you said you keep even the keyboard config files (remote.conf which goes into /etc/kodi/ ) along with backups on SD card and restore from it via the Kodi File Manager interface using that Menu button on remote... I think you can't copy in the remote.conf file as the file manager doesn't allow access to the required place where this file resides (/etc). Basically it doesn't allow going to root of linux or linux directories, it seems. But that's no big problem, I just ftp the file in from my pc.
(2016-02-01, 15:14)van141 Wrote: .

Also wanted to mention, you said you keep even the keyboard config files (remote.conf which goes into /etc/kodi/ ) along with backups on SD card and restore from it via the Kodi File Manager interface using that Menu button on remote... I think you can't copy in the remote.conf file as the file manager doesn't allow access to the required place where this file resides (/etc). Basically it doesn't allow going to root of linux or linux directories, it seems. But that's no big problem, I just ftp the file in from my pc.

Yes you can, but you have to add the root as a source first. Also make sure you have view hidden files selected in the system settings.
Indeed Ed quite right. Personally I do not bother as I do not want to waste time adn space backing up areas in root so I simply keep the remote.conf file I want to use on my SD card, where I keep my backups, so I can add that to new installs or restored boxes. It is very quick and easy to copy the needed remote.conf small file from teh SD card to the correct /root folder using File Manager.and there is nothing else I need that is not backed up.
Cheers
Raymw
Thanks a bunch ed, before long I will master, grasp how the File manager works with the help you guys give, I added etc as a source
(2016-02-03, 20:05)van141 Wrote: Thanks a bunch ed, before long I will master, grasp how the File manager works with the help you guys give, I added etc as a source

You are welcome. This is what forums are for.

I have a question though to all. Does anyone else have this issue. Using file manager I can copy files from wherever to wherever but when I view the files, every file is there but they are all 0 bytes. The only way I can copy files from kodi to usb is to use the backup addon. It's wierd.
I copied some small files, also .kodi 647 MB file to my SD card and it shows that size when I view the SD card in my PC. I use FAT32 format on the SD Card, maybe your externally connected storage is not writable for File Manager?
I thought I have it formatted to FAT32 I'll check and report back.

It's FAT32.
hey guys,

i overwrote my remote.conf on my 520 (ember) with a version for my harmony remote.

if i want to use the original remote, do i have to copy back the original remote.conf? if so, where do i find it?
Does anyone know how I can change the clock in Kodi. I am on the correct region and time zone but the time is 2 hours and 24 mins different.

Here's my guess:
Revert to Android
Change the clock in settings.
Re-flash mx linux.
(2016-02-13, 18:45)ed_davidson Wrote: Does anyone know how I can change the clock in Kodi. I am on the correct region and time zone but the time is 2 hours and 24 mins different.

Here's my guess:
Revert to Android
Change the clock in settings.
Re-flash mx linux.

I bet the date shows 1970 too. It means you are not communicating properly with your modem/router. If you are otherwise on-line and thus the weather info is correct for you, then make sure you have not changed anything in your modem/router settings and if not then switch off your box and modem/router and reboot the modem/router first and wait until it is showing back on-line and only then reboot your KODI box. If you still get 1970 then try another reboot as I know this seems to be a problem right now wirh EmbER 3 but I think you are using MX Linux so maybe it is not EmbER at all but it just could be the worldwide clock sync site is messing around for us all as I often need 2 or 3 reboots to get the correct date and time these days and I never used to.

Is there any others here who are getting this problem on boot up with getting the default Linux 1970 date/time??.
Cheers
Raymw
Hi Ray, it does show the correct year
  • 117(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes5