• 55(current)
Google Nexus Player
Hoping to not have to go through all that work as I have several devices on the network working fine. Just having a hard time understanding why it works perfectly on the Nvidia Shield but not my Nexus Player, Nexus 6 or Nexus 9, they all have the same buffering issue. It only seems to affect 1080p.
Have you tried changing wifi channel or changing to the 5ghz band if your router supports this ? I had to change channel(from 1 to 6) to get my Nexus player to get decent throughput. Was getting buffering and stuttering issues with high bitrate streams before this, fine after (was connecting at 5mbps now 50+mbps)
It is a hardwired connection (ethernet) so I don't think this will help, but I will look into it. I did call google and they said that this is a known issue with Kodi on android 6.0 and it's because kodi isn't supporting 6.0. I'm not sure their information is accurate though because it doesn't seem like many people are having an issue like this that can't be corrected by the advanced settings you suggested. I'm considering rooting the NP in order to load on 5.1.1 but I'm not convinced that will work either. Thanks for all your suggestions.
Well, after way too many hours, I've thrown in the towel and am going back to my HTPC. It seems the Nexus Player isn't suited to watching live tv through Kodi, at least with my set-up (Kodi Isengard or Jarvis, ArgusTV, windows 7 as server, Nexus Player on Marshmallow). Oh well, best of luck to others. Thanks for your help feathers!
I'm of the other opinion. Have a HTPC for about 8 years. Endured constant failures on the WAF scale. Now running Kodi on my NP, with DVBLink on my Netgear NAS. Best setup I've ever had. Granted, that is with Kodi only since V13 or so.

Best of luck.
(2016-01-29, 21:02)jakejm79 Wrote: The Player supports USB OTG so you could do it with no software modifications but you would need an micro USB to OTG adapter and possibly a powered hub unless the HDD was externally powered. There are several Ethernet adapters that include a non powered USB hub, so you pick up Ethernet and USB.

As far as I know you can play the files using ES Explorer but not on Kodi, at least I wasn't be able to view or add the external storage as source. The only solution I've been given was to root and then use Stick Mount or apps like that. Do you guys know an easy way without rooting?
(2014-10-15, 19:41)claydavis Wrote: Can I stick my external Hardrive on it? Kodi can likely be sideloaded but like the fire TV, using external storage out of box is the key.

I have one and the only answer I've been given is to root it, so no, no out of the box. You can use ES Explorer to play the files in your external drive but not Kodi
Even on Marshmallow where external can be treated as internal?
Odd, on the Nvidia Shield you can play from externals with Kodi, I have done it with a Micro SD card and 500GB USB portable. They must be doing something themselves to make this possible.
Yes but as far as I know the Shield has regular USB and SD card ports right? The Nexus has a micro USB which unless you install ES Explorer it's rather useless. I would like to see if someone can confirm that you can attach external storage and add it as a source on Kodi without root and out of the box (that if you have the micro usb adapter)
(2016-02-08, 05:13)passenger Wrote: Yes but as far as I know the Shield has regular USB and SD card ports right?

Correct, although it's a Micro SD card slot, I wish it was regular SD card..
I may crack open the NP I have boxed up and see if it the same. FYI, X-Plore is a far better file manger the ES. I stopped using ES ages ago, and now use FTP and X-Plore.
(2016-02-08, 06:00)Hiphopopotamus Wrote:
(2016-02-08, 05:13)passenger Wrote: Yes but as far as I know the Shield has regular USB and SD card ports right?

Correct, although it's a Micro SD card slot, I wish it was regular SD card..
I may crack open the NP I have boxed up and see if it the same. FYI, X-Plore is a far better file manger the ES. I stopped using ES ages ago, and now use FTP and X-Plore.

Thank you H! I'll most definitely try X-Plore, ES just become too bloatware and big for my tastes, especially for a media center. I'm actually trying to avoid it since it's stupid that I can play the media in my flash drive on ES but not on Kodi unless I root the Nexus...
Anyone else have issues with Kodi (and sometimes other apps) just dropping away and being returned to the NP homescreen? Happens once a day with me. You could be watching TV one minute, or browsing the EPG, there is a slight pause, then wham, back to the home screen. Very frustrating.
Exclamation 
Hello guys!

I really wish Google adds the proper 23.976 Hz, we need this!! Then the Nexus Player will be perfect!

So guys, the only way for that to happen is when they really notice this issue and see that we really want it, so we must go after it.

I think the only way would be signing here and asking them nicely to fix the 24p support!

https://code.google.com/p/android/issues...?id=199479
(2016-02-08, 05:13)passenger Wrote: Yes but as far as I know the Shield has regular USB and SD card ports right? The Nexus has a micro USB which unless you install ES Explorer it's rather useless. I would like to see if someone can confirm that you can attach external storage and add it as a source on Kodi without root and out of the box (that if you have the micro usb adapter)

I can vouch this works fine. Running complete stock MMB29U. I had to let the player format the USB key first. When you first plug it in Marshmallow will ask if you want to format the storage for internal or external use. Make sure and select external use. After the format I could then use it on a computer and transfer files to the key. From there just launch Kodi and it will find the USB Key in which you can play files off the key.
(2016-02-12, 15:24)sarcoptic Wrote:
(2016-02-08, 05:13)passenger Wrote: Yes but as far as I know the Shield has regular USB and SD card ports right? The Nexus has a micro USB which unless you install ES Explorer it's rather useless. I would like to see if someone can confirm that you can attach external storage and add it as a source on Kodi without root and out of the box (that if you have the micro usb adapter)

I can vouch this works fine. Running complete stock MMB29U. I had to let the player format the USB key first. When you first plug it in Marshmallow will ask if you want to format the storage for internal or external use. Make sure and select external use. After the format I could then use it on a computer and transfer files to the key. From there just launch Kodi and it will find the USB Key in which you can play files off the key.

How's your USB stick formatted? NTFS or FAT32? Have you tried it with an external HDD?
  • 55(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Google Nexus Player7