• 11(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
(2016-02-18, 19:01)wrxtasy Wrote: If its a cheap AMLogic Android Box you may be able to flash OpenELEC on to it already as there are numerous images about.

Yep a bunch of us started with RPi's to test the waters so to speak and went from there Smile

Thanks again. I am awaiting arrival of the RPi2. Another quick question. I have been doing a lot of reading, as I want this to go as smoothly as possible. Is Open ELEC better than OSMC?
Horses for courses. Openelec is my choice, and easiest.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
A++ to wrxtasy, biblical write up. [DIRECT HIT] From another perspective: I was intending on buying a simple_(plug n play) satellite receiver, after a lot of research I came up with Wetek Play at the time of its release, for the about us the same price it was incomparable. I already had minix x7 also mk808(now a domino) and usb dvb-s, but could not get usb dvb to work or is practically impossible. I enjoy hardware & software hacks but Play box is pretty straight forward. Mainly using openelec boot from sd, having live tv enabled in Kodi opens up a whole new perspective. Wetek play is a sweet box, not to be over looked, not sure if there are as many OS available to any other besides Rpi.
I do have one question, Im looking at usb DVD player, what do I need. Is it software or hardware related?
Cheers
(2016-02-19, 08:25)nickr Wrote: Horses for courses. Openelec is my choice, and easiest.

Thanks...I have elected to run with Open ELEC, my next question is what is the best build to use. From what I have been reading is the newer builds are not always the best. Also, same question regarding KODI. Which is the best build of KODI to install on a RPi2 with Open Elect installed? Thanks again. Steve
(2016-02-20, 00:23)Vancoonsie Wrote:
(2016-02-19, 08:25)nickr Wrote: Horses for courses. Openelec is my choice, and easiest.

Thanks...I have elected to run with Open ELEC, my next question is what is the best build to use. From what I have been reading is the newer builds are not always the best. Also, same question regarding KODI. Which is the best build of KODI to install on a RPi2 with Open Elect installed? Thanks again. Steve

You don't get a separate choice of which Kodi version to run in a specific OpenElec version - Kodi is built in to the build of OpenElec you use (OpenElec has a Read Only OS system that means you don't upgrade Kodi independently, it isn't like Windows, Android or Ubuntu/Debian/Raspbian where you can chose which software to install)

I'd start with the stable build (currently 6.0.1) here : http://openelec.tv/get-openelec unless you really need some bleeding edge stuff.
(2016-02-20, 01:17)noggin Wrote:
(2016-02-20, 00:23)Vancoonsie Wrote:

You don't get a separate choice of which Kodi version to run in a specific OpenElec version - Kodi is built in to the build of OpenElec you use (OpenElec has a Read Only OS system that means you don't upgrade Kodi independently, it isn't like Windows, Android or Ubuntu/Debian/Raspbian where you can chose which software to install)

I'd start with the stable build (currently 6.0.1) here : http://openelec.tv/get-openelec unless you really need some bleeding edge stuff.

Forgive me for sounding totally naive, as I have stated I am new to this and my main goal is only to run Kodi. What you are telling me is Kodi is built into OpenElect, I understand that now. When you say upgrade Kodi, I am assuming you mean upgrade the version of Kodi I am using and not the repositories within Kodi? I am assuming they upgrade automatically whenever I open Kodi? I have been reading so much this week, my head is going to explode, never mind that I just started reading on how to overclock a RPi2 so things run smoother. I am not the sharpest using a computer, but the forums and the help here has been tremendous. FYI, I am located in the US, and many of my friends have been buying cheap Chinese boxes, (that's how I learned about Kodi about 6 months ago), and my ultimate goal is to show them a box with a cleaner build with many less broken links and freeze ups. Thanks again to all of you, your help is priceless!
@wxr - Skylake link is broken - Fixed - Can Delete
Fixed thanks !

Quote:24p / 4K / H265 (HEVC) Hardware decoders start from here...

- Intel Microarchitecture, Skylake, Braswell & Cherry trails,
Great support as well shown from the Kodi developers
The Braswell platform is slowly becoming the 2016 Chromebox.
You get what you pay for here, which is massive flexibility and a lot of grunt in the higher priced NUC's.
Top Spec, Top of the range deinterlacing for some NUC's, details HERE
Software decoding of any problematic video codecs (eg. 10-bit) on i3/ i5 / i7 NUC's, means virtually all video playback problems are covered here. i series Intel, definitely recommended for Hi10P Anime fans.
Kodi outputs decoded 10-bit video as 8-bit, however may change during the year.
4K Limited to 30Hz due to HDMI 1.4 limitation, unless a DP to HDMI 2.0 adapter purchased.
No Hardware decoding of Interlaced VC-1 content if using Linux / OpenELEC
Disappointingly - No HDMI CEC control built into Intel, like other devices listed in this thread, some boxes do have IR receivers.
HDMI CEC can be added via a Pulse8 HDMI CEC Adapter
However, for basic 4K/2K/1080p video playback, Intel i series NUC's are complete overkill and overpriced for Kodi use only.

Also, out of these Boxes from the 3 chip architectures listed above - which have/ may possibly have maximum internal "expansion" i.e. SATA / mSATA/ M.2 ports ?

As the i NUCs are expensive while the affordable boxes in B & C links don't seem to have much expansion. Might it make sense to get MoBos that support B & C and opt for a cheaper Non-i CPU? That way I get the ports and the lower cost?

I do not necessarily need i processors, but I'd like to have some ports internally to do some Slave Box activities that I cant on my laptop.
Quote:Typically for overnight burn in tests; dban, badblocks, chkdsk, SMART/ Surface Tests, Seagate/ WD Tests
Sometimes HDD/ Partition Cloning / Ghosting etc. for my Synology NAS drives
I have been using kodi XBMC for about 2 years now & love it - I am fairly comfortable with installing add ons etc.

I would like to finally cut my cable off & have a question.

My main concern with getting rid of cable & relying solely on kodi is ease - with cable i turn on and boom switch channels etc nice & easy. With my Kodi boxes it takes time, then finding a stream that works etc.

I am wondering if perhaps its just that I am using slow kodi devices. I have 2, 1 is a Amazon Fire Box & other is Amazon Fire Stick.
Maybe the Droid boxes I know of are much faster?

Any other recs to make this easier to cut the cable & simply sit down & watch?

Thx
(2016-02-26, 01:11)dknyc1 Wrote: I have been using kodi XBMC for about 2 years now & love it - I am fairly comfortable with installing add ons etc.

I would like to finally cut my cable off & have a question.

My main concern with getting rid of cable & relying solely on kodi is ease - with cable i turn on and boom switch channels etc nice & easy. With my Kodi boxes it takes time, then finding a stream that works etc.

I am wondering if perhaps its just that I am using slow kodi devices. I have 2, 1 is a Amazon Fire Box & other is Amazon Fire Stick.
Maybe the Droid boxes I know of are much faster?

Any other recs to make this easier to cut the cable & simply sit down & watch?

Thx
Kodi provides no content. It does not support piracy. If you want to find a free substitute for your cable service you are in the wrong place. If you want something to play your own media which you have ripped to your computer, or legal sources like YouTube or vimeo, welcome.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I'm interested in getting something with windows 10 on so I can use it in my office for usual windows apps but would also like to put Kodi on windows, so I can access my media library. What's the best option? Something like an Acer Revo?

http://www.ebuyer.com/723607-acer-revo-m...-b2aek-003

cheers
OSMC Vero 4K, Intel NUC Celeron 847, ODroid N2+, Raspberry Pi3 LibreELEC. Amazon Fire TV
Vizio  Atmos 7.1
LG 65" OLED
I'd take a look at the Chromeboxes, depending on how intensive your windows use is an i-core NUC might be a better bet.
Would need a little more information about your usage and media library to give a specific recommendation, but something like the Revo might work.
(2016-02-27, 19:03)jakejm79 Wrote: I'd take a look at the Chromeboxes, depending on how intensive your windows use is an i-core NUC might be a better bet.
Would need a little more information about your usage and media library to give a specific recommendation, but something like the Revo might work.

Cheers man. I have around 1200 rips. Most are ok quality (3 or 4 GB mkvs etc). I will not b using windows for intensive things. Literally just browsing, office, media etc
OSMC Vero 4K, Intel NUC Celeron 847, ODroid N2+, Raspberry Pi3 LibreELEC. Amazon Fire TV
Vizio  Atmos 7.1
LG 65" OLED
I was all set to buy a Google Nexus Player but there seems to be no way to control it with Irule (remote control app), which is how I control everything, either via IR (through itach) or HTTP/IP.

Is there anything under $100 that is Android (so I can use Moonlight app to stream games from my desktop PC in the basement), has 1080p Netflix, and has either IR or IP/TCP control? Wired ethernet port ideal.
  • 11(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28