Win Are the movie database servers down ??
Hi Guys,

Anyone else having issues with the Movie datebase, Over the last few day when adding movies to my collection I have been getting a warning about not connecting to the movie database servers.
I am using Kodi 14.2, as something changed
I've ripped and added a load of films today with no issue.
Thanks,

I haven't touch anything, just over the last couple of days I have been get the warning saying that can't connect to the servers and should it continue the update.

just thought they might have altered something, I don't update very often because I am use MQ5 with Kodi 14.2 beta and in MQ5 natural state does not play nice with Kodi 14.2, but on my installation and for what I use it for I get by until MQ6 come out
^ ^ ^

I got it a couple of times yesterday.
I know this is an old post, but I'm having the same issue for a couple of days now. Is someting wrong w/ the IMDB Movie Info add-on? Are the servers down?
Best would be to provide a Debug Log after a failed scan.

Reasons for that:

1. We don't know which movie you are talking about
2. We don't know if the movie you are talking about is really a movie (maybe it's a TV-show)
3. We don't know how you named the file
4. We don't know how your folder structure looks like.

You see...many things we have to speculate for. So the log is necessary.
(2016-02-23, 10:36)David1977 Wrote: Best would be to provide a Debug Log after a failed scan.

Reasons for that:

1. We don't know which movie you are talking about
2. We don't know if the movie you are talking about is really a movie (maybe it's a TV-show)
3. We don't know how you named the file
4. We don't know how your folder structure looks like.

You see...many things we have to speculate for. So the log is necessary.
Okay. Thought others would have this prob too. Anyway, it did work until a few days ago... To answer you Q's:

1. Any movie. When I try to update my Library I get the error "Unable to connect to remote server" (I get the same eror of course when I try to get the movie info for a single movie).

2. It is a movie (for instance 'Forsaken': http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2271563)

3. The folder is named Forsaken and the movie in it slightly different, but it does contain the name 'Forsaken'. Sometimes when the info cannot be found then I can input the name of the movie by hand (which I currently can't because Kodi cannot even connect to the server!)

4. Folders with movie files in them.

The relevant portion of the error log is:
Code:
15:16:56 T:1806693440  NOTICE: Thread VideoInfoDownloader start, auto delete: false
15:16:56 T:1806693440   DEBUG: FindMovie: Searching for 'forsaken' using The Movie Database scraper (path: '/storage/.kodi/addons/metadata.themoviedb.org', content: 'movies', version: '3.8.8')
15:16:57 T:1806693440   DEBUG: scraper: CreateSearchUrl returned <url>http://api.tmdb.org/3/search/movie?api_key=57983e31fb435df4df77afb854740ea9&amp;query=forsaken&amp;year=2015&amp;language=en</url>
15:16:57 T:1806693440   DEBUG: CurlFile::Open(0x3a0fba0) http://api.tmdb.org/3/search/movie?api_key=57983e31fb435df4df77afb854740ea9&query=forsaken&year=2015&language=en
15:16:57 T:1806693440    INFO: easy_aquire - Created session to http://api.tmdb.org
15:16:57 T:1806693440   ERROR: CCurlFile::FillBuffer - Failed: HTTP returned error 401
15:16:57 T:1806693440  NOTICE: CCurlFile::FillBuffer - Reconnect, (re)try 1
15:16:57 T:1806693440   ERROR: CCurlFile::FillBuffer - Failed: HTTP returned error 401
15:16:57 T:1806693440   ERROR: CCurlFile::CReadState::Connect, didn't get any data from stream.
15:16:57 T:1806693440   ERROR: Run: Unable to parse web site
15:16:57 T:1806693440   ERROR: Process: Error looking up item forsaken.2015.720p.web-dl.x264.ac3-evo.mkv
15:16:57 T:1806693440   DEBUG: Thread VideoInfoDownloader 1806693440 terminating
15:16:58 T:1968607232   DEBUG: ------ Window Init (DialogOK.xml) ------
15:16:58 T:1968607232    INFO: Loading skin file: DialogOK.xml, load type: KEEP_IN_MEMORY
15:16:59 T:1968607232   DEBUG: Keyboard: scancode: 0x1c, sym: 0x000d, unicode: 0x0000, modifier: 0x0
15:16:59 T:1968607232   DEBUG: OnKey: return (0xf00d) pressed, action is Select
15:16:59 T:1968607232   DEBUG: ------ Window Deinit (DialogOK.xml) ------
15:17:00 T:1968607232   DEBUG: ------ Window Deinit (DialogProgress.xml) ------
15:17:05 T:1779430464   DEBUG: Thread BackgroundLoader 1779430464 terminating

The complete log is here on pastebin. Hope this helps. Maybe movie scraper site is down or recently changed url. I think the important bits in the log are: "Connect, didn't get any data from stream. ERROR: Run: Unable to parse web site".
Look at the error log and you will see if it is failing to access the TMDB site for you.

So try some manual tests.

Open a web browser on a PC and see if you can read the main site https://www.themoviedb.org/

Maybe something else is blocking this in your house?

Next up, looking at the log you can see the commands that are failing. Copy and paste them into your web browser to see what happens.
http://api.tmdb.org/3/search/movie?api_k...anguage=en

They are showing as "page not found" errors in your log. (401)

If I paste it into a web browser here, I get a response from the server which complains about an invalid key. I can't say any more beyond that as I assume there are a few other steps to make the sit behave correctly for the key.

The important bit this shows us is the site is up and active. So you should get a similar message back from a web browser. If your web browser instead throws a 401 error - then you have a different issue. Something is blocking your access to that site.
(2016-02-24, 20:56)BatterPudding Wrote: Look at the error log and you will see if it is failing to access the TMDB site for you.

So try some manual tests.

Open a web browser on a PC and see if you can read the main site https://www.themoviedb.org/

Maybe something else is blocking this in your house?

Next up, looking at the log you can see the commands that are failing. Copy and paste them into your web browser to see what happens.
http://api.tmdb.org/3/search/movie?api_k...anguage=en

They are showing as "page not found" errors in your log. (401)

If I paste it into a web browser here, I get a response from the server which complains about an invalid key. I can't say any more beyond that as I assume there are a few other steps to make the sit behave correctly for the key.

The important bit this shows us is the site is up and active. So you should get a similar message back from a web browser. If your web browser instead throws a 401 error - then you have a different issue. Something is blocking your access to that site.

Update: Have looked at my own series with specials and they are still behaving correctly. Just like did with v15. Interspersed between episodes. Have checked a number of series and all seem okay.

The settings for stuff like this is in Settings \ Video \ Library. I'd go into there and just flick a few switches to toggle it back and forth in case something is confused in your config. Turning a setting off, and then renabling it can sometime help.

Note: When in settings, make sure the Settings Level is at Advanced to see everything
So I take it that looking up Movie Info w/ the Movie Info add-on works for you. When I copy/paste the 2 url's in my browser then I get the same results as you. As far as I know the Movie Info add on is not directly related to the Library. The add on has it's own settings in: "Settings > Add ons > Movie information > The movie database". Anyway, tried to fiddle w/ the add-on settings of the Movie info and w/ cleaning the library. Didn't help.

Tried using the 'Universal movie scraper' for movie info instead: that one works, but no cover art etc.
Yeah, movie lookup is working fine for me.

I have never changed any of the settings in my The Movie Database add-on. And looking in there now I don't exactly see much that could cause the effect. I assume you have tried hitting the <defaults> button in there and saving.

I was messing with the new "Events" list the other day. This lists videos that are not being found. What happens if you look at that list? Is Forsaken listed? Can you then use that list to look up the movie information?

As a test, I just went into my Events list and picked a failed lookup. Right click, Select "Movie Information", and I changed the name to "Forsaken". The lookup comes back with three films called "Forsaken" as well as 14 other films.

So Manual lookups? Or are they also timing out?

The next one I'd try is hiding the Forsaken video completely from KODI and then cleaning it from the database. Now reintroduce it - any luck this time?
(2016-02-26, 13:05)BatterPudding Wrote: Yeah, movie lookup is working fine for me.

I have never changed any of the settings in my The Movie Database add-on. And looking in there now I don't exactly see much that could cause the effect. I assume you have tried hitting the <defaults> button in there and saving.

I was messing with the new "Events" list the other day. This lists videos that are not being found. What happens if you look at that list? Is Forsaken listed? Can you then use that list to look up the movie information?

As a test, I just went into my Events list and picked a failed lookup. Right click, Select "Movie Information", and I changed the name to "Forsaken". The lookup comes back with three films called "Forsaken" as well as 14 other films.

So Manual lookups? Or are they also timing out?

The next one I'd try is hiding the Forsaken video completely from KODI and then cleaning it from the database. Now reintroduce it - any luck this time?
Thank you for your kind reply. Unfortunately the machine on which I installed Kodi (Raspberry Pi w/ OpenElec via Noobs) completely crashed when I tried to update Kodi/OpenElec to get rid of the IMDB error. This is because Noobs does not support updating OpenElec/Kodi (which Ilearned from the OpenElec forum). Had to re-install the whole thing and now it works again... Strange. Possibly some files or folders on my machine had become corrupt, causing the add-on not to work. It's error messages must have been caused by broken files...
Now funnily enough I was going to suggest a "Reinstall KODI" in case it was anything like corrupted files\settings. Clearly the Pi heard my thoughts. Or just decided to help you out by trashing everything to force the reinstall fix.

The important thing is it is all fixed now Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Are the movie database servers down ??0