• 168(current)
Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio
(2016-02-24, 19:46)dikkiedirk Wrote:
(2016-02-11, 20:48)Skank Wrote: New dune, plays iso, 3d, atmos, and full bluray menu.. But outside kodi... Pff

Remains to be seen how it turns out. It is not in the shops yet, so no evidence on final hardware and firmware.

There is demo videos of it running on youtube and one guy has a demo unit. Seems menus are working but 3d subtitles were not. But the interesting tidbit about it for the kodi fans is what is hidden in dunes road map for the player which is "- Native GUI SDK (for native DirectFB/Qt-based C/C++ apps)." that would give someone an option to get kodi working using directFB
(2016-02-23, 20:41)brazen1 Wrote: I had problems with the 1st couple of RPI models Ethernet streaming. 50GB iso's in the neighborhood of 45MB bitrates, audio and video were choppy, stalling, out of sync and mostly froze the connection and quit entirely. 3D was out of the question. Thinking it was my network, I tested on a couple Windows platforms instead of the Pi and playback was flawless. After finding out both RPI's were only 10/100 BaseT compared to 10/100/1000 on the others, I chalked it up to that as the culprit. Now my math tells me 100 is more than enough to handle 45MB bitrates but in the real world... it simply didn't work. The RPI2 has the same 10/100 limitation and the reason I'm still hesitant to believe everything I read. No, I'm not going to buy yet another one and try it.
100Mbit port on RPi2 is enough for 45MBit bitrates. But CPU in RPi2 is not enough for implementing network protocols in user level, inside of kodi.
I used to have many problems with playing high bitrate movies over NFS when I've mounted those shares using kodi. Then I've mounted all shares in OS and after that I don't have any problems: http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=...ork_shares
(2016-02-24, 19:34)drhill Wrote: Um.... that is exactly foreign language subs which are forced. I suppose I should have said english subtitles of characters speaking foreign languages.
That is not true. Those are both examples of movies that do not play back correctly in Kodi or any other open source blu-ray solution from the ISO/Blu-ray folder structure. If you play them you will not see the foreign language subtitles because the proper tracks are not set by the menu's VM commands.
As I said earlier, the new dune is 360 dollars. You are in full htpc territory at that point.
I see you're still making friends Undecided
If you'd stop gum flapping for a moment, you might learn something. Showing off someone else's $20,000 investment doesn't mean you are an authority no matter how much labor you contributed. Some of your statements are wrong. You seem to be hung up on the cinema vision plug-in you've utilized, I mean handcrafted. Pat yourself on the back. It's wonderful but nobody cares. Fwiw, the specs you keep repeating are off topic as well and meager compared to many others specs including mine. Again, nobody cares. And you've beat up the hardware vs software thing to death without making a single point other than you use a Pi and software doesn't work and it's the manufactures fault and some other conspiracies. Stay on point junior.

Let's clear up a couple statements then maybe WE can accomplish something:

Quote:Why are you arguing so vehemently for your set-up as the best for everyone, brazen?
There is no best. It's a viable alternative that just doesn't agree with you and you're hell bent on disproving it. Unfortunately, your facts are off. I try to educate you with what I'm familiar with but you skirt that and quickly move to some other rant. I'd like to learn from you as well but you dodge questions and concentrate on warring instead. As I wrote above, I have my ways and you have yours. You have your reasons, I have mine. Neither of us is better than the other. We are different. Same with our setups.

Quote:As has been stated many times, software decoding can not and for the immediate future does not appear to be able to do what hardware can.
Yes, you've stated many times and have been asked why but dodge the answer. I ask again, what is present hardware doing today that software cannot do?

Quote:Not until you have a $20,000 home theater with 50' cables running video signal to a 3D projector and have 100% automatic 3D mode switching when using CinemaVision in Kodi.

I don't think $20,000 matters. Or 50' cables. Or cinemavision. We're just trying to playback 3D here as efficiently and automated as possible using various methods. I've explained mine, including a guide that works for some, if not all users with Windows as their device regardless of hardware installed since software does the decoding unloading to GPU through hardware acceleration where applicable. It is not universal since it is a Windows platform using software designed for Windows. It is applicable to a specific user audience. This is why it is only an option and not the best universal option as you've insisted I exclaim. Nevertheless, it is a problem free fully working option. AN ANSWER to those that want a working choice and a rebuttal to those that insist there is no such thing. This is why I wrote my short 1st post regarding this 3D auto switching dilemma sharing how it could be done especially for a new user weighing choices before committing. You were very quick to rip that little post apart and start spewing your superior gum flap of complete horse dung. Shame on you.

I do not know everything. Feel free to correct me factually where I'm off. Remember, I'm just a user, not a know it all. I don't work for anyone nor am I affiliated or in close contact with anybody. I have a hard time with terminology but I'll try and I don't pretend any of my statements are in concrete and very open to corrections, again based on fact.

Auto switching to 3D mode be it a panel or projector or whatever display:
3D displays were designed to work properly with a standalone hardware player sending the 3D switch to the display. AFAIK, you cannot manually switch to frame packed 3D mvc mode within your display and it has no choice but be automatic. The signal is relayed via HDMI/DVI sensing that your data is indeed Frame Packed 3D MVC. I think the player sees ssif and other related files within a container or in file structure and signals the display to switch. Some players see the files in or out of a container and can send the switch while others demand a specific structure. PDVD accepts both. A hardware player like a standalone Blu-ray uses the same info from the physical disc. Again, afaik, you can select your 3D mode to your hearts content, but you can't select this mode. This is why I use the complete rip inside an iso. It switches to Frame packed 3D mode without fail.... automatically. Other platforms and O/S's are limited to and reliant on hardware to accomplish this task. This whole argument about why auto switching doesn't work and blaming it on GPU manufactures holding back the feature is irrelevant if you are a Windows user thus my HTPC of choice. This is the price you pay. Along has come the new Pi the 1st hardware savior of its kind. It is still limited and does not use a mainstream KODI build, thus dependent on an individual who has done the hardware reliant community a huge favor implementing a step in the right direction. As with anything, it might improve over time. I still prefer an all in one device as my main player that fits in a glove box but would consider a Pi as a client.

Commonly, there are other modes available you can select.
SBS, TAB, 2D to 3D conversion, checkerboard, etc. Your display is not going to switch automatically using any of these modes. This is why I brought up the Samsung plug-in that fills this void so that this too is automated exclusively for some Samsung users. These are feature modes for those that desire to bypass the standalone player and replace it with a software player at the cost of losing auto 3D switching. By design, some displays supplied their own player and GUI. It is limited to the formats it accepts and very basic. That's why these manual feature modes were included.

So, software players filled the gap by switching to 3D just as the standalone player did. They went one step further providing a choice between the physical disc and/or an exact digital backup while still providing auto 3D switching. Alterations from this is where the problems start.

Many didn't want to comply with retaining the complete rip as it is on the original disc and began modifying it for various reasons. After modifications, the software and/or hardware could no longer read the vital data to switch the display automatically anymore. Some software players include the different 3D feature modes to accommodate these 'other than original' modified versions. This assumes everything you play is going to be in that format otherwise you have to manually change it in the player. Furthermore some software players accept specific naming of a title to help distinguish the decoding mode to output. That accomplishes the decoding but sends no info to your display to auto switch afaik.

Feel free to correct and update me. I'm here to learn.

Fwiw, AnyDvd is now discontinued. At some point we are not going to be able to backup discs and be forced to return to loading the physical disc making all of this discussion...... moot.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
(2016-02-24, 20:04)halfelite Wrote: There is demo videos of it running on youtube and one guy has a demo unit. Seems menus are working but 3d subtitles were not. But the interesting tidbit about it for the kodi fans is what is hidden in dunes road map for the player which is "- Native GUI SDK (for native DirectFB/Qt-based C/C++ apps)." that would give someone an option to get kodi working using directFB

Didn't know that, do you have a link to roadmap ?

Unfortunately, as unbelievable stable & capable as the testers results are so far, its still hindered by HDMI 1.4 (as no Sigma chip yet has HDMI 2.0a ) So imo its high price makes it an expensive stop-gap until they do have a model that has it.

But a shootout between the HiMedia Q5/Q10 Pro and the Dune Solo 4K would be interesting though (even more so if a Kodi port materialised)
(2016-02-24, 20:37)Stereodude Wrote:
(2016-02-24, 19:34)drhill Wrote: Um.... that is exactly foreign language subs which are forced. I suppose I should have said english subtitles of characters speaking foreign languages.
That is not true. Those are both examples of movies that do not play back correctly in Kodi or any other open source blu-ray solution from the ISO/Blu-ray folder structure. If you play them you will not see the foreign language subtitles because the proper tracks are not set by the menu's VM commands.

It is true. They work fine. I use MKV files. Menus are annoying to me and I'd rather not waste space, lose compatibility with other devices, and lose simplicity of a file format (MKV) that supports everything but menus.
(2016-02-25, 16:38)JustAnotherUser Wrote:
(2016-02-24, 20:04)halfelite Wrote: There is demo videos of it running on youtube and one guy has a demo unit. Seems menus are working but 3d subtitles were not. But the interesting tidbit about it for the kodi fans is what is hidden in dunes road map for the player which is "- Native GUI SDK (for native DirectFB/Qt-based C/C++ apps)." that would give someone an option to get kodi working using directFB

Didn't know that, do you have a link to roadmap ?

Unfortunately, as unbelievable stable & capable as the testers results are so far, its still hindered by HDMI 1.4 (as no Sigma chip yet has HDMI 2.0a ) So imo its high price makes it an expensive stop-gap until they do have a model that has it.

But a shootout between the HiMedia Q5/Q10 Pro and the Dune Solo 4K would be interesting though (even more so if a Kodi port materialised)

Well, comparison would easily end
Dune doesnt do 4k/60fps, himedia does... according specs
(2016-02-25, 16:38)JustAnotherUser Wrote: Didn't know that, do you have a link to roadmap ?

http://files.dune-hd.com/sdk/doc/html/sm...k_features link

(2016-02-25, 19:10)Skank Wrote: Well, comparison would easily end

But a comparison that really does not matter as of yet. Until we have a way to RIP UHD. With Anydvd going away I assume it might be a bit longer now as they were the ones that usually cracked new encryption/keys and methods faster.
Morning to all (I'm from South Africa)

Very interested in the Wetek Core media player but need to know if it supports HD audio. If not Wetek Core, are there any good alternatives?
There is a long wetek core thread in the forum. Read it.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Thanks for the roadmap link. Seems to refer to the compact TV series (no internal HDD - perfect) TV-204 & 205 which have be shown at trade shows since beginning of 2015. unfortunately not materialized into retail (and probably never will - pity)
Bit odd HDMI-CEC is a future roadmap feature?

(2016-02-25, 19:10)Skank Wrote: Well, comparison would easily end

Is 4K@60fps content (outside of YouTube etc) likely to be widely available anytime soon (this year)? @30fps stands a much better chance, but that scarce availability is probably why they're not troubled by missing that feature atm.
A fabulous spec list means nothing, it has to deliver and work. Something Dune have done for years, unfortunately without a fabulous Kodi GUI Wink

I hope the new HiMedia boxes deliver too, will be nice to finally get a new gen of quality media boxes to choose from.
RIP dvfab and anydvd-> RIP kodi?

http://www.myce.com/news/dvdfab-we-will-...ome-78698/
(2016-02-25, 19:08)drhill Wrote: It is true. They work fine. I use MKV files. Menus are annoying to me and I'd rather not waste space, lose compatibility with other devices, and lose simplicity of a file format (MKV) that supports everything but menus.
I don't know why I'm bothering... Undecided I keep telling you they won't play correctly from .ISO or Blu-ray folder structure and you keep telling me I'm wrong they play fine from MKV. A point, that's not in contention and has no bearing on .ISO or Blu-ray folder structure playback.
(2016-02-26, 15:14)Stereodude Wrote:
(2016-02-25, 19:08)drhill Wrote: It is true. They work fine. I use MKV files. Menus are annoying to me and I'd rather not waste space, lose compatibility with other devices, and lose simplicity of a file format (MKV) that supports everything but menus.
I don't know why I'm bothering... Undecided I keep telling you they won't play correctly from .ISO or Blu-ray folder structure and you keep telling me I'm wrong they play fine from MKV. A point, that's not in contention and has no bearing on .ISO or Blu-ray folder structure playback.

And when did I ever say anything about them working in ISO? I said they work without any need for menus which is the truth. You said they didn't work in Avatar and Wolverine, not making any qualifications as to why they don't work. I corrected you and said they work fine. This all started because I said menus and pre show trailers/warnings are crap and another reason why I backup my discs for use without a BD player. This isn't a thread about the undying love you and a few others share for blu ray menus and the chunky file format of ISO.
  • 168(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio17