• 105(current)
WeTek Core (24p HD Netflix / HD Audio / Lollipop / OpenELEC / 4K / HEVC)
(2016-03-01, 12:08)ChristianTroy Wrote: @noggin
but then how will you detect the correct frame rate? Just sniffing the metadata of the container hoping they are correct Smile
this is Kodi with one of those hevc from Elecard website:

Quote:V/Kodi ( 1373): Debug Print: int CDVDPlayerVideo::OutputPicture(const DVDVideoPicture*, double) - change configuration. 1920x1080. framerate: 24.08. format: BYPASS
V/Kodi ( 1373): Debug Print: Resolution 1920x1080 @ 24.00 - Full Screen (26) not a very good match for fps 24.083 (weight: 0.003), trying 2:3 cadence
V/Kodi ( 1373): Debug Print: Resolution 1920x1080 @ 60.00 - Full Screen (22) not a very good match for fps 24.083 with 2:3 cadence (weight: 0.003), choosing 60 hertz
V/Kodi ( 1373): Debug Print: Display resolution ADJUST : 1920x1080 @ 60.00 - Full Screen (22) (weight: 0.246)

For broadcast use the HEVC encoder will receive baseband uncompressed (or mezzanine compressed using something like VC-2) video (SDI for SD, HD-SDI for HD and either a new form of HD-SDI like 12G, or Quad 3G HD-SDI, or SMPTE 2022 video over IP or similar)

This will have a fixed frame rate, but the encoder will detect the duplicate frames (e.g. 2:2 for 25p in a 50p format) as part of the encoding scheme. You wouldn't use broadcast metadata as that is likely to cover the whole show, and you could easily expect a show to contain content sourced in multiple frame rates. (Perfectly normal to have 25p, 50p content mixed in a show)

When it comes to decoding - doesn't HEVC have both a 'source frame rate' and an 'actual frame rate' header? (i.e. it tells you what the decoder should output as part of the stream?) The issue with 24p 3:2 stuff is that this will be 60p (or 60i) not 24p - because the encoder was fed 60i/60p not 24p. (The VFR is supposed to be 'hidden' from the end user) If you want to detect 24p 3:2 content that needs to be downstream of the encoder - you can't 'trust' the VFR stuff to accurately tell you this. This is because you can expect TV shows to have a mix of 24p and 60p content in some cases, and the last thing you want is your display re-syncing on a cut from the studio to a film clip...

VFR is unlikely to be used in the production chain - we're pretty much standardised on Intra-frame for post-production (AVCi, DNXHD, ProRes etc.) and almost all the Long GOP acquisition codecs use a fixed GOP (and cameras run at fixed frame rates so VFR no use there)
@ CT, those 2160/50p Astra DVB-C HEVC test streams that caused issues with Rev B. AML S905's, were they CBR or VFR HEVC encoded ?

I'm seeing issues with every 2160/50p DVB HEVC test clips I run on the the two S905's Rev B's I have here currently.

(2016-03-01, 12:16)wrxtasy Wrote: @ CT, those 2160p Astra DVB-C HEVC test streams that caused issues with Rev B. AML S905's, were they CBR or VFR HEVC encoded ?

Do you mean CFR?

CBR = Constant Bit Rate
VBR = Variable Bit Rate

VFR = Variable Frame Rate
CFR = Constant Frame Rate (I guess)

Most of the UHD test stuff I've seen has either been native 59.94p/50p - so you'd expect it to be constant 50p or 59.94p frame rate (Unless it drops to a lower frame rate on totally static shots with no motion) I've seen some 23.976p native transmissions - but these are really atypical and wouldn't be used in real-world channels (other than movie VOD services)
@wrxtasy I don't know, I will ask, I think @droidelec should have a sample somewhere
Yes sorry Noggin I meant CFR, Constant Frame Rate 2160/50p HEVC.

(2016-03-01, 08:22)ChristianTroy Wrote: @wesk
every decoder in amports (that is where every HW decoded video is processed) has a reference to the duration of the frame and can be used for getting the fps value of the movie. This will not work with VFR HEVC files (as Kodi does not) because you end up with "non standard" durations so you can't estimate what to switch if a frame is, let's say, 24.08546754135 fps.

Thanks for the info!
(2016-02-29, 17:24)wrxtasy Wrote: I use the Android Display Refesh Rate (Disable) App and select Kodi only, and then configure Kodi to use its normal Dynamic Refresh Switching in the usual Video Playback Settings.

Just to get this straight... Originally, you went into the Refresh Rate app and ENABLED what you DID want.

Now, the idea is to go into the Refresh Rate app and DISABLE the ones you DO NOT want.

Correct?
Yes, it's practically the opposite since now when the "automatic refresh rate" switch is turned on every app will be affected.
Hi Guys & Gals, first time poster long time fan. Loving my Wetek Core & the work you have done to make it the best media player choice for me. Just some quick questions from a rookie...

1.Is the latest Kodi Jarvis Android release now recommended over the customised Wetek Media Player version?
2.Is the main difference b/w the two the lack of HD audio passthrough on the Android version?

Thanks again for all your great work.
https://github.com/christiantroy/xbmc/co...aPlayer-v1

the commits date 22 February are the differences between that apk and the official
Ok cheers for that.
(2016-03-01, 21:46)ChristianTroy Wrote: Yes, it's practically the opposite since now when the "automatic refresh rate" switch is turned on every app will be affected.

I updated last night, and when I played Netflix and Hulu the refresh rate changed properly.... however playback was horrible. The audio and video remained in sync but it was like the video was playing in slow motion, as if it was dropping frames. Disabling the refresh rate change clears the issue. Kodi's native auto refresh rate still works without an issue.

I will have to try this on another TV when I get time to see if I see the same results. The current TV is native 720p, but it supports 1080p/24... my other TV is a native 1080p.

Also, I saw the post a while ago about Wetek now being licensed for Microsoft Playready. Is this hardware based, or is it something that will eventually be available to the Core? I ask because it was suggested that the HBO Go app may not be working with the Core because of the lack of Playready support.

Thanks again.
It's something already noticed if you were using the proper 23.976 mode with Netflix, cannot say why, you don't have any control over this, it's the black box like fritsch said Big Grin
Before you never experienced it because Netflix was executed at 24fps at best (if you had selected a 24hz resolution or you were using refresh rate switcher)

edit: name a video where you can see it (Netflix possibly), right now I'm trying a bunch of US tv serie that are 23.976 and I cannot see it
Not owning a device yet, but would like to know if there will be a Marshmallow update?
LG 77G1 • Onkyo TX-RZ70 • Q Acoustics F:2050i C:2000Ci R:2020i A:QI65C • 2x BK Elec XXLS400-DF
Vero V (OSMC) • Nvidia Shield TV Pro (2019) • Sony UBP-X800M2 • Sony PlayStation 5
It depends on Amlogic.
  • 105(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
WeTek Core (24p HD Netflix / HD Audio / Lollipop / OpenELEC / 4K / HEVC)4