• 9(current)
Beta Youtube Library
Some fun facts:
- Youtube Library has been downloaded more than 2.500 unique times
- Unfortunately users dont seem to update much, since newer versions are downloaded much, much less
- Our highest used up youtube quota was on Dec 23 with 214.328 (which is not much, considering we can go up to 50 million)
- Our lowest used up youtube quota was on Feb 14 with 9.303

Unfortunatly I cant track much other statistics, since my addon does not keep records or anything from you. We could perhaps ask the NSA for more statistics Tongue.
A proper installable repo would help with updating.
Just put this on my travelling Pi Zero last night as a test, and quite impressed with what it offers (albeit with slightly awkward set-up procedure, but it works). But there are two oddities I noticed, having set up a couple of channels as trial (KordKutters and Pimoroni Bilge Tank):

1) Each of the channels seems to have a folder labelled "extra fanart", which is empty. Is that supposed to be there, and if so is there any way to suppress it?

2) The series/episode numbering works, but I was a bit surprised to see that the newest episodes on both channels are E01 (with older ones E02, E03 etc) hence I'm wondering what's going to happen as new videos are released and the thing refreshes. Are they all going to shift in number? Would there be any way to make the oldest episode/video in a given year E01, and so the new ones add on the end incrementally?

Anyway good work so far!
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2016-03-02, 23:46)redhalo Wrote: A proper installable repo would help with updating.
Yeez, thank you Sherlock. I've tried once, didn't work, documentation is crappy and programming this thing already takes much of my time. The repo will get here eventually. Feel more than free to help me set it up.

(2016-03-03, 13:41)DarrenHill Wrote: Just put this on my travelling Pi Zero last night as a test, and quite impressed with what it offers (albeit with slightly awkward set-up procedure, but it works). But there are two oddities I noticed, having set up a couple of channels as trial (KordKutters and Pimoroni Bilge Tank):

1) Each of the channels seems to have a folder labelled "extra fanart", which is empty. Is that supposed to be there, and if so is there any way to suppress it?

2) The series/episode numbering works, but I was a bit surprised to see that the newest episodes on both channels are E01 (with older ones E02, E03 etc) hence I'm wondering what's going to happen as new videos are released and the thing refreshes. Are they all going to shift in number? Would there be any way to make the oldest episode/video in a given year E01, and so the new ones add on the end incrementally?

Anyway good work so far!
I don't understand Kodi enough (yet) to build my entire custom user interface. So with the Kodi Interface, I think I did the best I could do making it as less awkward as possible. Also, by using the Kodi Interface we got all the different devices covered. But tips are always welcome. And yeah, I like to build customize options, so this addon hides quite some options under the surface Smile.

1) This shouldn't be empty, this should be filled with the fanart.jpg. Do you have downloading of images turned off in the addon settings? It could be it still creates the directory even if that option is turned off (not sure). And Yes, it is supposed to be there, since some addons and skins require that appearantly.

2) No, it doesn't. The oldest is e01 and it will increase for each new episode in the same season. If you are seeing other behaviour, please supply more information. (Your playlist settings, your log, your OS etc.). Also please check that you have the season / episode recognisition set at the defaults.

Thnx
I created a repo on GitHub using this documentation - the videos show the basics of the process.

and thanks for the new version - about to go and update to it.
(2016-03-03, 14:08)Paranoidjack Wrote: I created a repo on GitHub using this documentation - the videos show the basics of the process.

and thanks for the new version - about to go and update to it.
Thank you, I did follow that tutorial. YT Library is on bitbucket from the start. Part of what confuses me about "Kodi Repos" must be that they call it repo's. They are not. They are weird ass custom build zip files :S.

I did many instructions, but when I tested version bumps, I did not see Kodi get notified of them automatically, and the repo ended up mostly corrupted, so I had to be doing something wrong.

Also I really, really, really dislike that I have to alter the addons.xml in the repo file as well. I already forget to bump the addon.xml, with a repo I've got even more places to update. Then you also have to re-md5 hash, zip your addon and put it on the server, adjust your addons.xml file.
The whole process is just really awkward. I really dont get why it should be like this. Why is not a real repo? Where I push to the repo and everyone gets the updates Smile? Thats it? Or I still lack understanding about how this system works and I'm seeing problems that aren't there.

I will look into this again very soon. The Repo will have to get here one way or another.
The addons_xml_generator.py will take some hassle out of updating the xml and MD5 each time.

Feature request: the ability to disable dialog notifications - using a headless kodi server I need to edit addon.py and comment out the "xbmcgui.Dialog" lines for the addon to launch.
(2016-03-03, 15:59)Paranoidjack Wrote: The addons_xml_generator.py will take some hassle out of updating the xml and MD5 each time.

Feature request: the ability to disable dialog notifications - using a headless kodi server I need to edit addon.py and comment out the "xbmcgui.Dialog" lines for the addon to launch.
Ok, I will look into that.

There is an option to disable notifications of playlist updates in the addon settings. First run dialogs do show on first run tho, and will not adhere to that option. The dialogs when deleting / refreshing a playlist will not listen to that option either. But I don't see it as a good idea to disable those.

Weird tho, you have to comment out xbmcgui.Dialog. Does Headless mean you have no GUI or something? I'm not familair with a headless kodi setup.
Yep, exactly that - no GUI. I only use it with your addon and the watchdog service to update a central SQL server.

edit: setting "notify_update" to "false" works like a charm.
(2016-03-03, 14:02)Sleuteltje Wrote: I don't understand Kodi enough (yet) to build my entire custom user interface. So with the Kodi Interface, I think I did the best I could do making it as less awkward as possible. Also, by using the Kodi Interface we got all the different devices covered. But tips are always welcome. And yeah, I like to build customize options, so this addon hides quite some options under the surface Smile.

1) This shouldn't be empty, this should be filled with the fanart.jpg. Do you have downloading of images turned off in the addon settings? It could be it still creates the directory even if that option is turned off (not sure). And Yes, it is supposed to be there, since some addons and skins require that appearantly.

2) No, it doesn't. The oldest is e01 and it will increase for each new episode in the same season. If you are seeing other behaviour, please supply more information. (Your playlist settings, your log, your OS etc.). Also please check that you have the season / episode recognisition set at the defaults.

Thnx

I'll double-check the settings later and see if I can tweak anything to help, but the folder is definitely coming up empty at the moment, and the newest episode is coming up as E01. The playlists as I said are the KordKutters chats and the Pimoroni Bilge Tank blogs. Is there anything particularly you want included in the debug log (wiki) to help out understanding what may be happening? OS is OpenElec 6.0.3 on a Pi Zero, will confirm the rest later.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Hi there,

Very nice add on!

For those like me running a multi-kodi system at home this means we can track those sites we want to visit without having to search through youtubes interface.

Lots to play with yet but what ive seen so far I really like.

Thanks

Ed
(2016-03-03, 16:41)Paranoidjack Wrote: Yep, exactly that - no GUI. I only use it with your addon and the watchdog service to update a central SQL server.

Good. Does that mean you edit your playlists configs in the xml files directly? Cause with no GUI, you have no GUI to edit your configurations, no?

(2016-03-03, 16:56)DarrenHill Wrote: I'll double-check the settings later and see if I can tweak anything to help, but the folder is definitely coming up empty at the moment, and the newest episode is coming up as E01. The playlists as I said are the KordKutters chats and the Pimoroni Bilge Tank blogs. Is there anything particularly you want included in the debug log (wiki) to help out understanding what may be happening? OS is OpenElec 6.0.3 on a Pi Zero, will confirm the rest later.
Do you mean this playlist of kordkutters and this playlist of Pimoroni Bilge Tank? Cause if so, look at how the videos are ordered in the playlist and you will know why your episode numbers are messed up. It is clearly stated in the first post that only playlist sorted newest -> oldest will work. You can use the custom season/episode numbering or even a regular expression to create custom episode numbers. But if the playlist isnt sorted newest -> oldest, you will not recieve new videos after the first 50. If you choose the uploads playlist, they will generally be sorted newest -> oldest.
Don't blame me, blame Youtube for not including a sort by option when retrieving playlists.

It's impossible for my code to run the other way around (unless your OS is arabic xD), so that must be it. If not, then I need to see your settings.xml file (located at userdata/addon_data/plugin.video.youtubelibrary/Settings), your log file with debug mode enabled in the addon settings.

For the empty directory, please check if you have download artwork disabled in the addon settings. And also, what is the problem with that empty directory? Just let it be Wink.

(2016-03-03, 17:25)edz2k9 Wrote: Hi there,

Very nice add on!

For those like me running a multi-kodi system at home this means we can track those sites we want to visit without having to search through youtubes interface.

Lots to play with yet but what ive seen so far I really like.

Thanks

Ed
Thnx for your kind words Smile
(2016-03-03, 18:35)Sleuteltje Wrote:
(2016-03-03, 16:41)Paranoidjack Wrote: Yep, exactly that - no GUI. I only use it with your addon and the watchdog service to update a central SQL server.

Good. Does that mean you edit your playlists configs in the xml files directly? Cause with no GUI, you have no GUI to edit your configurations, no?

Sometimes but more often than not I use an instance of Kodi on Windows to add new channels to the settings.xml and then transfer that over.
(2016-03-03, 18:35)Sleuteltje Wrote: Do you mean this playlist of kordkutters and this playlist of Pimoroni Bilge Tank? Cause if so, look at how the videos are ordered in the playlist and you will know why your episode numbers are messed up. It is clearly stated in the first post that only playlist sorted newest -> oldest will work. You can use the custom season/episode numbering or even a regular expression to create custom episode numbers. But if the playlist isnt sorted newest -> oldest, you will not recieve new videos after the first 50. If you choose the uploads playlist, they will generally be sorted newest -> oldest.
Don't blame me, blame Youtube for not including a sort by option when retrieving playlists.

It's impossible for my code to run the other way around (unless your OS is arabic xD), so that must be it. If not, then I need to see your settings.xml file (located at userdata/addon_data/plugin.video.youtubelibrary/Settings), your log file with debug mode enabled in the addon settings.

For the empty directory, please check if you have download artwork disabled in the addon settings. And also, what is the problem with that empty directory? Just let it be Wink.

Yes, those playlists.

I think that may end up being a problem over time, so I may just switch back to individual YouTube apps. There is of course enen92's one for KordKutters, and I've made a personal fork of that which works fine for Bilge Tank too. Will have a play with it though, as I do like the concept of your add-on a lot, and it would be a nicer way to do this more widely rather than having to brew up forks for each channel (not that this is particularly difficult to do with how well enen92 wrote his code).

The empty directory was just a curiosity as to why it may be there but empty. I'm sure I could live with it (or let it die, to stay with McCartney).

Anyway I'll have some more playing with the add-on, and if I can't get it to work will gather the debug log etc.

Kodi Blog Posts
(2016-03-03, 20:47)DarrenHill Wrote: Yes, those playlists.

I think that may end up being a problem over time, so I may just switch back to individual YouTube apps. There is of course enen92's one for KordKutters, and I've made a personal fork of that which works fine for Bilge Tank too. Will have a play with it though, as I do like the concept of your add-on a lot, and it would be a nicer way to do this more widely rather than having to brew up forks for each channel (not that this is particularly difficult to do with how well enen92 wrote his code).

The empty directory was just a curiosity as to why it may be there but empty. I'm sure I could live with it (or let it die, to stay with McCartney).

Anyway I'll have some more playing with the add-on, and if I can't get it to work will gather the debug log etc.
You are really comparing oranges to apples I think I should clear something up:
This addon is NOT meant to replace the 'normal' Youtube Apps. If you just want to browse Youtube, there are other addons for that.
This addon is made specifically for adding certain Youtube videos to your Kodi tv show / music video / movies library with metadata.
The end result couldn't be more different.

The problem of oldest -> newest shouldn't come up much tho, and if it does, I really can't do much about it. Only if you want to add specific (nicely sorted) playlists the channel creator was to lazy to also have a newest -> oldest copy. Most of the times you can just use the uploads playlist with clever use of filters.
In your case I would just use the uploads playlist from Kordkutters, and if you only want talks just filter on "include only: episode" or something.

So, in your case:
a) Convince Google to give an sort-by-date option for the API
b) Ask the channel creator to create a copy of the playlist and check "sort by newest" (its like, really 3 clicks for them)
c) Use another playlist of the channel sorted right and if needed use filters
d) Lose library functionality and just use a YT addon to browse YT (channels / playlists)

And yes, I would expect forking the addon of enen92 would only take 1 line of code to adjust to run it at a different channel. Why not expand the functionality so you can just put more than 1 channel in that 1 addon Wink? Seems like a lot of work forking an addon for each channel.
  • 9(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Youtube Library3