Problems with Albumartist and mbid tags (Why is Kodi so unpredictable....)
(2016-03-04, 12:09)DaveBlake Wrote: In case it got lost in my monologue, separator is currently configurable. If all your music uses semi-colon, and only semi-colon, as the item separator then you can change the separator in advancedsettings.xml to semi-colon. No need to retag, but consistency is necessary.

I tried to change the advancedsettings.xml by adding:

<musiclibrary>
<itemseparator>;</itemseparator>
</musiclibrary>

But that had no effect at all. Multiple artists written in the <Artist> field as "Michael Jackson; Diana Ross" still lists as "[Artist] Michael Jackson/Diana Ross" in Kodi.
I quit kodi and rescanned the Library after changing the advancedsettings.xml, but it ran through in a flash and didn't seem to do anything. Do I really have to delete the whole library and rescan everything from scratch to make such a change effective?
Quote:All the things that cannot be done through any of the webinterfaces I have tried. They're all mostly simple control points to search and play library items....I'm not looking for yet another control point. I wish to be able to see the exact on-screen effect of all and any changes I make in Kodi settings.

Not going to happen through a web interface.

Why don't you setup a MySQL database with the correct port forwarding, and install kodi at work and use that?
(2016-03-04, 14:45)helta Wrote: Not going to happen through a web interface.
Oh, never say never. There are many ways to Rome.

(2016-03-04, 14:45)helta Wrote: Why don't you setup a MySQL database with the correct port forwarding, and install kodi at work and use that?

How would that help? I do not understand the scenario your have in mind.
Quote:I tried to change the advancedsettings.xml by adding:

<musiclibrary>
<itemseparator>;</itemseparator>
</musiclibrary>

But that had no effect at all. Multiple artists written in the <Artist> field as "Michael Jackson; Diana Ross" still lists as "[Artist] Michael Jackson/Diana Ross" in Kodi.
I quit kodi and rescanned the Library after changing the advancedsettings.xml, but it ran through in a flash and didn't seem to do anything. Do I really have to delete the whole library and rescan everything from scratch to make such a change effective?

The item separator is used in 2 ways:

a) Parsing various string tags e,g the artist name(s) from the ARTIST/TPE1 when music files are scanned into the library.
b) Building a single string for display from a union of artists or genres etc.

Use b) will take place immediately. Use a) only applies when the music file is scanned into the library. So if you have not changed the file tags then yes you will need to remove that source and re-add and scan it for item separator changes to result in "Michael Jackson; Diana Ross" been recognised as separate artists.

But also note that Isenguard does not trim names, so I fear "Michael Jackson; Diana Ross" with separator ";" will result in artists "Michael Jackson", " Diana Ross" (note the leading space).
I'll say it again, not going to happen =)

The scenario is this:
You setup your Kodi library in a MySQL database, so that even your local Kodi install on your HD Station uses smb:// paths to play your content. You can then install Kodi at work, with the correct advancedsettings.xml, and any "changes" you make to your library will automatically be represented on your other local HD Station install.
My interpretation of what Oyvindo is asking for is the ability to use/control Kodi fully with a UI exactly like Kodi (whether Confluence or soon Estuary) but without using the TV that is connected to the device that is running Kodi.

If that isn't what he wants then it is something I would love. In effect a Kodi head to go with "headless" Kodi (something that is being worked upon). Then I could play music on Kodi without putting the TV on. Now the API using web interfaces and remote apps get so far, and several are very good in there own way, but none I have seen provide the full Kodi UI functionality, and none look like Confluence.
Quote:Then I could play music on Kodi without putting the TV on.

You can do that already....

I still don't understand what exactly the "house cleaning" means, what exactly are you trying to do?
(2016-03-04, 15:00)DaveBlake Wrote: But also note that Isenguard does not trim names, so I fear "Michael Jackson; Diana Ross" with separator ";" will result in artists "Michael Jackson", " Diana Ross" (note the leading space).

Yes, it just occured to me as well (you do have a sharp eye, Sir) - so I changed by adding the space.
Thanks you for discovering that. Blush

I guess I just have to rebuild the whole library then. Is there anywhere a command within Kodi to clear and rescan without physically deleting (removing) the library?
(2016-03-04, 15:13)DaveBlake Wrote: My interpretation of what Oyvindo is asking for is the ability to use/control Kodi fully with a UI exactly like Kodi (whether Confluence or soon Estuary) but without using the TV that is connected to the device that is running Kodi.

If that isn't what he wants then it is something I would love. In effect a Kodi head to go with "headless" Kodi (something that is being worked upon). Then I could play music on Kodi without putting the TV on. Now the API using web interfaces and remote apps get so far, and several are very good in there own way, but none I have seen provide the full Kodi UI functionality, and none look like Confluence.

EXACTLY! Nod
Cheers DaveBlake! I could not have said it better myself!

@helta - there are a number of things that you cannot do with any of the available webinterfaces (although I admit, I probably haven't testet them all). Just take our word for it - and please don't pursue examples just for the sake of arguments. Wink
I'm really not trying to argue at all.

So what you are asking for is a web based client? That does everything that a full client does, but still plays whatever from the client attached to the tv?
(2016-03-04, 16:34)helta Wrote: I'm really not trying to argue at all.

So what you are asking for is a web based client? That does everything that a full client does, but still plays whatever from the client attached to the tv?

No, it doesn't have to play anything - but if it does, that's just added bonus. In most situations - the use would be either over WLAN og even VPN, thus streaming is not the issue. So even if the client does not support streaming for local playback, I couldn't care less.
helta is right 100% what you want is NEVER going to happen via a web client, the Kodi interface requires a native client to be able to provide the 3D graphics for the skins and that's simple not possible via a web browser. As has been said multiple times now, the ONLY way you'll going to be able to mange Kodi with the exact same experience as it appears to your your family in the other room is to use remote desktop software, so if you can't do that with your NAS then you need to run Kodi on a device that allows you to install a desktop OS which will allow you to connect via remote desktop.
Well, you may be right, but I hope not. After all, we did put a man on the moon as well.... I have a number of other programs which are able to do this, so - who knows? At least - if we do not mobilize an opinion, but resign already - then it will for sure never happen.... Smile

Still, somehow I can't help the feeling that this is exactly what I'm looking for.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpBkCHVxJg8
Have you looked into emby server for your qnap?
From what I understand it will do exactly what you want to achieve.... Unless of course I am miss understanding you like everyone else
(2016-03-04, 17:49)Vidman Wrote: Have you looked into emby server for your qnap?
From what I understand it will do exactly what you want to achieve.... Unless of course I am miss understanding you like everyone else

No, I haven't. Should I?
I have now spent months and years with different media servers in search for the right one. First LMS, then Plex, now Kodi... just to find that none of them do exactly what I want. I see that Emby has slightly over 2k downloads while i.e. Plex has slightly over 200k downloads (for what it's worth). Are you familiar with Emby? Can it drive an HDMI output and handle 10K albums?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Problems with Albumartist and mbid tags (Why is Kodi so unpredictable....)0