• 17(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
(2016-03-22, 00:57)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2016-03-22, 00:56)rap3r Wrote: This is strange since hdmkv wrote RBi can do it and it has linux on it...

The rPi can do it from a mkv file with the MVC stream present; it can't do it from ISO unless things have changed very recently

Yes, with both MVC MKV and MVC 3D ISO, you can get full 3D decode and frame-packed output from RPi with OpenELEC using Milhouse Kodi 16 or 17 builds here.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
(2016-03-22, 00:59)hdmkv Wrote:
(2016-03-22, 00:57)Matt Devo Wrote: The rPi can do it from a mkv file with the MVC stream present; it can't do it from ISO unless things have changed very recently

Yes, with both MVC MKV and MVC 3D ISO, you can get full 3D decode and frame-packed output from RPi with OpenELEC using Milhouse Kodi 16 or 17 builds here.

good to hear, I stand corrected
I'm enjoying this one time I'm right vs. Matt being right 100,000x other times Wink.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
(2016-03-18, 20:59)bry- Wrote: @wrxtasy thanks for this thread. I have a friend who is looking to ease their way into kodi and would like to start off with one of these lower cost boxes. by easing their way into kodi they want to start with media stub files and an external dvd drive. i checked the first few posts and see no mention of the boxes that supports an external drive. do you have any recommendations? thanks in adv
Trying again. Any Netflix capable android boxes support an external DVD drive? Dual boot chromebox perhaps? Thoughts
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
(2016-03-22, 04:41)bry- Wrote: Trying again. Any Netflix capable android boxes support an external DVD drive? Dual boot chromebox perhaps? Thoughts

you'd need something that dual boots Android and OpenELEC, like one of the Wetek boxes. Chromebox doesn't run Android (very well / in a usable manner)
You are in Ultra Rare Air if its an Android Box to connect with an External DVD Drive.

I would not try it on any AMLogic device due to mpeg2 vob file playback problems with some DVD Rips. Ones that have Motion between the frames and need deinterlacing. Plus you would need a DVD drive externally powered.

Windows 10 on something like a Tronsmart Ara X5 Plus would be the best Bang for the buck for what you are looking for with a Windows HD Netflix App and the ability to connect a usb DVD drive. The Cherry Trail Z8300 comes with a whole bunch of Hardware decoded playback Options due to its excellent 8th Gen Intel GPU.

EDIT:

Looks like this drive Optical Drive is Android compatible, and should work on something like a nVIDIA Shield.
Samsung Ultra-Slim Black Optical Drive, M-Disc Support

NOTE: Someone will have to chime in about how Kodi handles decryption of DVD's and if its even possible from Android.

(2016-03-22, 00:57)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2016-03-22, 00:56)rap3r Wrote: This is strange since hdmkv wrote RBi can do it and it has linux on it...

The rPi can do it from a mkv file with the MVC stream present; it can't do it from ISO unless things have changed very recently

Do I understand it correctly that if I upgrade my current outdated OpenElec with Kodi 14 to the latest Openelec and Kodi, my Lenovo Q190 will be able to play 3D iso?
(2016-03-22, 09:55)knfevg Wrote:
(2016-03-22, 00:57)Matt Devo Wrote: The rPi can do it from a mkv file with the MVC stream present; it can't do it from ISO unless things have changed very recently

Do I understand it correctly that if I upgrade my current outdated OpenElec with Kodi 14 to the latest Openelec and Kodi, my Lenovo Q190 will be able to play 3D iso?

No, only rPi can do it under Linux.
Intel and some NVidia under windows.
A couple of devices under android.
Check the 3D thread (link)
(2016-03-22, 05:09)wrxtasy Wrote: You are in Ultra Rare Air if its an Android Box to connect with an External DVD Drive.

I would not try it on any AMLogic device due to mpeg2 vob file playback problems with some DVD Rips. Ones that have Motion between the frames and need deinterlacing. Plus you would need a DVD drive externally powered.
I think you mean motion 'within frames' or 'between fields' (or 'native interlaced with motion between the two fields in a frame, such as sport, entertainment, some concerts etc.').

All content has motion 'between the frames' otherwise it would be a still frame forever...

(Bottom line - native 50/59.94Hz interlaced content causes a problem, native 25/29.97p content in a 50/59.94 wrapper doesn't. Not sure about 23.976p in a 59.94 wrapper)
I'm tempted by the Amazon Fire TV 2 but I read somewhere that is does software deinterlace and I use PVR via Kodi for main TV playback, so in my case would something AmLogic based be a better fit (I believe these do it in hw).

I'm looking at android devices so I can make use of my prime video subscription.
software deinterlace is not evil Smile and the Amazon Fire TV 2 has the ponies to handle it.
MrMC Forums : http://forum.mrmc.tv
(2016-03-23, 23:48)MrMC Wrote: software deinterlace is not evil Smile and the Amazon Fire TV 2 has the ponies to handle it.

What algorithm? YADIF 2x? If so that's good enough for most people.
I was assuming the quality was somehow inferior compared to HW based? (just going on how sw deinterlace is talked about like a 2nd class citizen Smile)
(2016-03-23, 23:57)Swifty Wrote: I was assuming the quality was somehow inferior compared to HW based? (just going on how sw deinterlace is talked about like a 2nd class citizen Smile)

A lot of the time SW deinterlace is just a basic Bob or Weave - and that is pretty poor. However if you can do a YADIF 2x or better in software then that's pretty watchable (but consumes a reasonable amount of CPU). Motion Compensative Hardware deinterlace (or Temporal/Spatial 2x in hardware) are benchmark levels though.
Thanks for the info.
Any idea what types are supported on Fire TV vs Amlogic?
  • 17(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28