• 163(current)
Kyra for Kodi
New cinemagraphs have been added to the database. 43 new posters and 10 new backgrounds.
The database now contains 242 animated posters and 509 animated backgrounds of 421 different movies.
Thanks to koufos for the new additions.

Proud owner of comics42.shop 
Can smartplaylists be displayed like other items. I have TV shows divided into current and older and, ideallly, I would like to replace the series button with a smartplaylist. Any update on this? Thanks.
YOYIZDERZOMENEMOHOZEZAZEZDENDERIZHOZEZ
(2016-03-25, 15:26)bobrap Wrote: Can smartplaylists be displayed like other items. I have TV shows divided into current and older and, ideallly, I would like to replace the series button with a smartplaylist. Any update on this? Thanks.

Would using tags not be a better option then?
Create a tag for your old series and a tag for your new series.

I think playlists are meant to play that list and not for anything else.
Never thought of or used tags. Let me see if I can figure out how they work. Smile

Obviously, I haven't a clue about tags. Smart playlists are used to separate items in your library. List by genre, all James Bond movies, etc.

Also, tried the left menu keyboard and it would just exit Kyra.
(2016-03-25, 16:31)bobrap Wrote: Never thought of or used tags. Let me see if I can figure out how they work. Smile

http://kodi.wiki/view/Video_library_tags

I will add the option to filter on tags in version 2.1. But it's only for movies. Maybe add it to series as well.

I have heard from several people now that they some how want to filter and quick access items. I am not sure how to do this exactly. Ideas are welcome. Maybe adding a new menu option called tags and from there you can select the tag. A tag menu bar in movies or series, every tag is a button. When pressed it will display the items for that tag only.
...just don't know it yet.
Having to tag individual series and movies is a bit of a pain. Think I'll just stick with smartplaylists and a keyboard.
(2016-03-25, 17:22)bobrap Wrote: Having to tag individual series and movies is a bit of a pain. Think I'll just stick with smartplaylists and a keyboard.

But how do you currently make a difference between old and new series using a smart playlist?
New series are in folders named "current". Older series are in folders called "older". I set smartplaylists filter to " path contains" and create two playlists, one for current and one for older. Then set a menu item for each to separate old from new.
(2016-03-25, 19:27)bobrap Wrote: New series are in folders named "current". Older series are in folders called "older". I set smartplaylists filter to " path contains" and create two playlists, one for current and one for older. Then set a menu item for each to separate old from new.

Thought so Big Grin

But suppose you only give your series a tag (and leave them in the current folder) and within series (xl) you can select a tag and it would display the series with that specific tag, wouldn't that be better than going first to the smart playlists menu option and wouldn't give you the same view as the series (xl) view anyway?

It's possible (according to Kodi's api) to also set a tag, so from within the app.

It saves you things like moving series between folders.
And when you use tags you could also mark them as "ended", "watch again in the future", "for my wife only"

Just some thoughts.....
(2016-03-25, 19:39)rschiks Wrote:
(2016-03-25, 19:27)bobrap Wrote: New series are in folders named "current". Older series are in folders called "older". I set smartplaylists filter to " path contains" and create two playlists, one for current and one for older. Then set a menu item for each to separate old from new.

Thought so Big Grin

But suppose you only give your series a tag (and leave them in the current folder) and within series (xl) you can select a tag and it would display the series with that specific tag, wouldn't that be better than going first to the smart playlists menu option and wouldn't give you the same view as the series (xl) view anyway?

It's possible (according to Kodi's api) to also set a tag, so from within the app.

And when you use tags you could also mark them as "ended", "watch again in the future", "for my wife only"

Just some thoughts.....

If I understand you correctly, you're saying go and give every series a tag? Seems a lot easier to use a folder name. New series don't have to be tagged, just added to a folder.
(2016-03-25, 20:05)bobrap Wrote:
(2016-03-25, 19:39)rschiks Wrote:

Thought so Big Grin

Just some thoughts.....

If I understand you correctly, you're saying go and give every series a tag? Seems a lot easier to use a folder name. New series don't have to be tagged, just added to a folder.

Ok, if that works for you :-)
The smart playlists option won't give you the same details as the series (xl), so as long if you are ok with that, it's no problem.
(2016-03-25, 20:17)rschiks Wrote:
(2016-03-25, 20:05)bobrap Wrote:
(2016-03-25, 19:39)rschiks Wrote: Thought so Big Grin

Just some thoughts.....

Ok, if that works for you :-)
The smart playlists option won't give you the same details as the series (xl), so as long if you are ok with that, it's no problem.

It's not really a matter of being ok with it, it's more of what works for me. I believe smart playlists are a big part of Kodi and think they should be used more in apps like this. There's a lot of eye candy in Kodi and looking at smart playlists from a file tree/file perspective is a bit of a let down. But, as they say...it is what it is. Smile

Tried to find the tags option on the ipad and phone and I'm just not seeing it. Any help?
(2016-03-25, 21:19)bobrap Wrote: It's not really a matter of being ok with it, it's more of what works for me. I believe smart playlists are a big part of Kodi and think they should be used more in apps like this. There's a lot of eye candy in Kodi and looking at smart playlists from a file tree/file perspective is a bit of a let down. But, as they say...it is what it is. Smile

Tried to find the tags option on the ipad and phone and I'm just not seeing it. Any help?

I don't want to make this a yes/no discussion. When enumerating the items in a smart playlist the libraryid is also returned, so it's possible to retrieve additional data from kodi, like covers, overview etc.
But since smart playlists can contain different kind of items, like episodes, albums, movies, etc....it's difficult to feed it to the series view without filtering it and make sure only series are remaining.

In my opinion smart playlists are just playlists that contain items that you feed Kodi to start playing, hence the name playlist.

It's still an option to show more than just a name. I am open for that.

I will add tags (movies) in version 2.1. A few posts up there are some screen shots. You are right about not seeing it yet. See post #2427 (http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2290069)

I am just curious: are more people using smart playlists to create views for different kind of movies (or series for that matter)?
Examples could be:
- watched series
- old series
- new series
- old movies
- new movies
- movies only for kids
- movies of a specific actor
I used Madnox. In that skin, if you use a smart playlist for a menu item it asks if you want to display or play. I definitely use them more for views/lists. To me it's just an easy way to filter things.
  • 163(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kyra for Kodi8