• 16(current)
Win Intel HTPCs/NUCs & Kodi-native 3D MVC Playback
(2016-04-07, 22:15)clarkss12 Wrote: Does the BT3 come with activated Windows 10? My Ara X5 does, but I read some of the other Intel boxes do not.
Yep, comes w/Win 32-bit activated.

So, just tried the audio driver suggested by @dukester, and it does NOT work on BT3. Refuses to install and shows as incompatible. Tried via Device Manager and doing a manual locate of the .inf file.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
(2016-04-07, 22:40)hdmkv Wrote:
(2016-04-07, 22:15)clarkss12 Wrote: Does the BT3 come with activated Windows 10? My Ara X5 does, but I read some of the other Intel boxes do not.
Yep, comes activated w/Win 32-bit.

So, just tried the audio driver suggested by @dukester, and it does NOT work on BT3. Refuses to install and shows as incompatible. Tried via Device Manager and doing a manual locate of the .inf file.

Did you try @dreams suggested drivers for the Intel D34010WYK1?
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
That's next Smile.

BTW, the April 7 build won't launch for me, even w/@afedchin's workaround here. Will continue using April 1 build until the annoying python27.dll issue is fixed in the master, and @afedchin adopts that on his next MVC build.
My Family Room Theater
Okay, great news... the Intel driver GFX_Win7_8_8.1_64_10.18.10.3540 works best with D34010WYK1 NUC! No wacky artifacts I reported before w/the latest Win10 driver on Intel's site. No lip-sync error, and the usual excellent Intel MVC PQ.

Now, I'm torn as to which box to keep, and which to eBay off... it'll be either the Dell 3050 or the D34010WYK1. Not keeping the DN2820FYKH. Both 3050 and D34010WYK1 are first-rate, but latter is noticeably snappier of course, and boots up to desktop from power on in a mere 19 seconds! But, to be fair, Dell only takes 24 seconds. The DN2820FYKH feels more fluid. Plan to watch movies with both, then decide.
My Family Room Theater
have one other dumb question that I have not found a definitive answer to. I see all these fairly inexpensive Intel NUC boxes that you test, but it appears they come without an operating system. Where do you get the Windows OS and how much $$$$?

thanks
$199 if you buy full install, registered version. Free using unregistered, un-activated version. Has some limitations. Un-promoted for obvious reasons, but perfectly legal. A friend is a Microsoft developer, and says MS' plan isn't really to make money off the OS anymore, rather services, enterprise solutions, and subscriptions on top, with Windows just as the platform/ecosystem they want you aboard for everything from desktop, to mobile, to XBOX, etc. to sell you stuff they think they'll actually make money on.
My Family Room Theater
Thanks for that link, answered my questions. It will eventually cost around $120 to activate it. That is why I prefer the inexpensive boxes with an activated Windows 10. It is my understanding that MS allows the manufactures of certain inexpensive hardware to purchase the license for $10.

I will NOT replace my Windows 7 desktop PC with the free Windows 10, but I do like these inexpensive Intel boxes running an activated version of Windows 10 connected to my TV. I am waiting for an upgrade of these boxes with 4gigs of ram and 64 gigs of storage. That will be the end of those "cheap" Intel boxes, because MS will stop providing the $10 license to the manufacturers of these "cheap boxes.
(2016-04-07, 23:23)hdmkv Wrote: Okay, great news... the Intel driver GFX_Win7_8_8.1_64_10.18.10.3540 works best with D34010WYK1 NUC! No wacky artifacts I reported before w/the latest Win10 driver on Intel's site. No lip-sync error, and the usual excellent Intel MVC PQ.

Now, I'm torn as to which box to keep, and which to eBay off... it'll be either the Dell 3050 or the D34010WYK1. Not keeping the DN2820FYKH. Both 3050 and D34010WYK1 are first-rate, but latter is noticeably snappier of course, and boots up to desktop from power on in a mere 19 seconds! But, to be fair, Dell only takes 24 seconds. The DN2820FYKH feels more fluid. Plan to watch movies with both, then decide.
Good to here that make sure you disable any update for that driver because Windows will keep updating it. Did you keep the display audio driver of the 4331 package works better.
(2016-04-07, 23:23)hdmkv Wrote: Okay, great news... the Intel driver GFX_Win7_8_8.1_64_10.18.10.3540 works best with D34010WYK1 NUC! No wacky artifacts I reported before w/the latest Win10 driver on Intel's site. No lip-sync error, and the usual excellent Intel MVC PQ.

MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
(2016-04-08, 00:38)bdreams Wrote: Good to here that make sure you disable any update for that driver because Windows will keep updating it. Did you keep the display audio driver of the 4331 package works better.
The GFX_Win7_8_8.1_64_10.18.10.3540.zip package updated both the display and audio drivers. I briefly tested TrueHD 7.1 and DTS-MA 7.1 w/this and both work flawlessly, but maybe I should, via Device Manager, update just the audio to latest. When you say "works better", how so?

@movie78, the only aspects that give me pause w/D34010WYK1 are possible ghosting and edge enhancement. Thought I noticed both when testing w/'Ant-Man' and 'Avatar'. But, not certain, which is why I need to test with a few movies for longer periods. I can confirm Dell 3050 is excellent though... for an all-inclusive budget option w/HD audio passthru and no lip-sync error (at least w/April 1 build), this is the best option.
My Family Room Theater
(2016-04-08, 01:24)hdmkv Wrote:
(2016-04-08, 00:38)bdreams Wrote: Good to here that make sure you disable any update for that driver because Windows will keep updating it. Did you keep the display audio driver of the 4331 package works better.
The GFX_Win7_8_8.1_64_10.18.10.3540.zip package updated both the display and audio drivers. I briefly tested TrueHD 7.1 and DTS-MA 7.1 w/this and both work flawlessly, but maybe I should, via Device Manager, update just the audio to latest. When you say "works better", how so?

@movie78, the only aspects that give me pause w/D34010WYK1 are possible ghosting and edge enhancement. Thought I noticed both when testing w/'Ant-Man' and 'Avatar'. But, not certain, which is why I need to test with a few movies for longer periods. I can confirm Dell 3050 is excellent though... for an all-inclusive w/HD audio passthru and no lip-sync error (at least w/April 1 build), this is the best option.

The older audio driver gave me some problem with my denon with loosing audio sync had audio where my denon would keep flashing the dts and Dolby tru sign and then I have to turn off the receiver. Just my experience you may not have that problem.
Thanks... I have a Denon AVR as well, but haven't watched a whole movie yet w/the driver fix you suggested. Will need to keep my eyes (and ears) open for this.

With regard to graphics drivers, it seems totally wacky that older, dated drivers work better than the latest in some Intel h/w.
My Family Room Theater
(2016-04-08, 01:24)hdmkv Wrote:

@movie78, the only aspects that give me pause w/D34010WYK1 are possible ghosting and edge enhancement. Thought I noticed both when testing w/'Ant-Man' and 'Avatar'. But, not certain, which is why I need to test with a few movies for longer periods. I can confirm Dell 3050 is excellent though... for an all-inclusive budget option w/HD audio passthru and no lip-sync error (at least w/April 1 build), this is the best option.

DAMN YOU AGAIN!Laugh
[/b]
Hey dude, I'm trying to settle on one as well Wink ... I want D34010WYK1 for its power, speed, but only if 3D MVC quality is as good as w/Dell 3050. W/my compulsive type 'A' nature, I'll have this figured out soon enough Big Grin!
My Family Room Theater
(2016-04-08, 01:41)hdmkv Wrote: Thanks... I have a Denon AVR as well, but haven't watched a whole movie yet. Will need to keep my eyes (and ears) open for this.

With regard to graphics drivers, it seems totally wacky that older, dated drivers work better than the latest in some Intel h/w.

I think it's related to the 4 gen nucs don't know why the latest drivers have so much issue but I am glad I found one that works for me.
  • 16(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel HTPCs/NUCs & Kodi-native 3D MVC Playback10