Which Logitech harmony do i need? or should i choose something else?
hey guys, need your help to decide which i should get

i have:
asus cbox running oe (bt)
sony avr (ir)
sammy tv (ir)

i currently use sony's ps3 remote, its nice and gives me what i need, but i'm changing batteries every week and i'm getting annoyed, i think that the BT sync/handshake is killing the batteries.

which way should i go? logitech harmony? will it give me a longer battery life? or should i go with flirc and buy a different ir remote to control them all
I use Harmony Smart Controls with both my RaspberryPI2 / OpenELEC box and various android boxes in the other room. It does require IR though.

Battery is amazing, remote feels nice, Android / iPhone companion app is OK. Overall highly recommended.
does it have the annoying lag that 350/650 has when fast pressing buttons?
Harmony Smart Control is the single best remote out there at the moment, just don't get the touchscreen version if you want good battery life.

This is the one you want

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=177381

No lag.
the lack of backlit buttons is the only issue I have with the remote.
(2016-03-22, 18:05)bry- Wrote: the lack of backlit buttons is the only issue I have with the remote.

Backlights massively reduce battery life so not a problem for me.

I have not changed the battery in 2 years now, which is why its so awesome Wink
paying over 100$ for controlling only 3 devices is just too much for me, i was looking for something that costs around 50$

i'm looking into a "oneforall" urc remotes, they have learn able function and preconfigured MCE setup, the only thing is left is to buy MCE IR dongle for the CBOX, instead using BT
any thoughts?
I have a Harmony 650 talking to Kodi on my Raspberry Pi 3.

Up, Down, Left, Right work out of the box but I can't find a way to interpret Back or Escape. I'd like my Harmony Exit button to be used to close the X on dialog boxes.

Then I am looking to map a button to Back and one to Home.

Anyone got this working?
This Harmony Smart Controls remote sounds nice (especially the 2 year battery life) but seems to be discontinued...

The newer equivalent model is the Harmony Companion. Anyone has first-hand experience with this ?

(2016-04-09, 19:28)ceramic Wrote: Up, Down, Left, Right work out of the box but I can't find a way to interpret Back or Escape. I'd like my Harmony Exit button to be used to close the X on dialog boxes.
Then I am looking to map a button to Back and one to Home.
I assume you defined your RPI3 as a generic keyboard in Harmony software.
If so, then just map the "backspace" key to your back button.
For a home button it's a little bit more complicated, you need a keyboard.xml file that reads something like :
Code:
<keymap>
<Global>
<keyboard>
<F1>XBMC.ActivateWindow(Home)</F1>
</keyboard>
</Global>
</keymap>
and then just assign the F1 key to whatever home button you want to use.
Looks very similar but with some new smart home controls (very cool!!)
(2016-04-14, 14:26)meucha Wrote: This Harmony Smart Controls remote sounds nice (especially the 2 year battery life) but seems to be discontinued...

The newer equivalent model is the Harmony Companion. Anyone has first-hand experience with this ?
Have been using Harmony Smart for almost a year now. Love it. The only thing that "bothered" me was the position of the trick-play buttons (Play/Stop/Pause/FF/REW/REC) - they seemed to be too high.
So two months ago got myself the Companion where Logitech finally positioned these buttons where they are usually situated on most remotes. And I didn't like it.
The Companion remote is longer than the Smart thus making the trick-play buttons hard to reach with the thumb. Since I don't have yet any smart home devices I ditched the Companion and became best friends with the Smart remote once again.
It just sits much better in my hand.
(2016-04-14, 16:27)Diodato Wrote: Have been using Harmony Smart for almost a year now. Love it. The only thing that "bothered" me was the position of the trick-play buttons (Play/Stop/Pause/FF/REW/REC) - they seemed to be too high.
So two months ago got myself the Companion where Logitech finally positioned these buttons where they are usually situated on most remotes. And I didn't like it.
The Companion remote is longer than the Smart thus making the trick-play buttons hard to reach with the thumb. Since I don't have yet any smart home devices I ditched the Companion and became best friends with the Smart remote once again.
It just sits much better in my hand.
Most people qualify my hands as "bear paws" so i guess this remote will perfectly fit the bill. Big Grin
I'm just tired of having to charge my 900 every 3-4 days, so a new remote with long battery life and without useless touchscreen or backlit keys is exactly what i've been looking for. Thanks !
One last question : are old IR repeaters compatible with the new Companion all-in-one RF receiver ?
(2016-04-14, 17:44)meucha Wrote: One last question : are old IR repeaters compatible with the new Companion all-in-one RF receiver ?
I'm not sure what you are asking about but both models (Harmony Smart and Companion) use the same HUB and IR mini blasters. They differ only in the remote.
Here are some quick shots of both remotes. As you can see the Companion in longer, thicker and a bit heavier.

Yeah i was talking about the IR Mini blasters. I have two from my Harmony 900 setup, and considering that there's only one packaged with the Companion but an extra connector on the hub for a second one, i was wondering if Logitech upgraded their Mini blasters from the 900 era or if they're basically the same.

Thanks a lot for these side-by-side shots, it's very informative !

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Which Logitech harmony do i need? or should i choose something else?0