can i do this with TV headend?
howdy i have a sling box and i want a mate to be able to see the out put from across the web. I don't want him to be able to access the remote control & change stations. I just want to pretty much feed one channel to him.
Can you experts ole tell me if i am on the right track? I do know my way around setting koi & openelec units so i if i can do this i'd like to know which steps to take. Thanks .
Surely a breach of copyright?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2016-04-13, 00:48)nickr Wrote: Surely a breach of copyright?

grey area i suppose, as long as it is not used for commercial purposes one would think. Can it be done?
I'm on a mission here, if i can't get him a feed of one channel then can i get a DVB-T feed to him of Oz TV live from a STB?
I'm assuming you already have a working tvheadend server for your local Kodi box. You would need to set up a username in tvheadend, use channel tags so that the user can only see that one particular channel, then open up your network to the outside world (either by opening ports in your router for the tvheadend box (which is a serious security risk imho) or by setting up a VPN server), and make your friend connect to your server (with his local Kodi installation or another player). Do note that if your tuner doesn't support multiple channels, you can't watch another channel when he's watching.

Also this may be pretty much against your local legislation, commercial or non-commercial.
well no.... what i am trying to figure out is if ANY source can be viewed by Tvheadend or does it have to be a TV stream from an antenna signal via a capture card. Could someone run a DVD playing a loop over and over & have itrun thru the tvheadend server and have it available for viewing thru Tvheadend client on Kodi?
(2016-04-13, 13:07)supaflygy Wrote: well no.... what i am trying to figure out is if ANY source can be viewed by Tvheadend or does it have to be a TV stream from an antenna signal via a capture card. Could someone run a DVD playing a loop over and over & have itrun thru the tvheadend server and have it available for viewing thru Tvheadend client on Kodi?
You could do something similar with pipe:// and ffmpeg. However, if what you really want is to just stream on the Internet, then you're better off looking at a proper streaming solution, like ffserver.
ffserver looks complicated.... i suppose non of this is easy, otherwise any & every one would be doing it. The quest continues.
(2016-04-14, 14:12)supaflygy Wrote: ffserver looks complicated.... i suppose non of this is easy, otherwise any & every one would be doing it. The quest continues.
Yes, it is a bit more complicated than just point and click. But, you need to choose the proper tools for the job. If what you want to do is merely setup an Internet stream, do some searches on that topic. Don't try to make Kodi or Tvheadend into tools for something they are not meant to do. (Like the old expression, when all you have is a hammer, all you can see are nails. So, look for a different tool.)

You just need to clarify what it is that you really want to do before you seek help; narrowing your topic will help immensely.
emby can do this - create a strm file to the feed and done. will be quite a bit of overhead though
(2016-04-14, 16:07)bry- Wrote: emby can do this - create a strm file to the feed and done. will be quite a bit of overhead though

+1 for Emby - there's even a community addon for tvheadend, so you don't need to create strm files.
i suppose my biggest stumbling block is 'how do i create' the stream strm file from the source device output.
You'll need a capture card to begin with. Do you have one?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
can i do this with TV headend?0