2 KODI installs buffering/skipping. [VLC Perfect}
I have 2 KODI installs [Jarvis], one on a Win 7 Laptop and one on a 1 month old NVIDIA Shield [firmware has been upgraded]. Both work well for most things.

I have a 1 week old HD Homerun Extend [using OTA for an input] and when using my laptop, it works perfectly with VLC albeit VLC is not user friendly to skip from one channel to another [to be kind]. I can also use the Win 7 PC to record to my WD MYBOOKLIVE drive, using VLC, and have had no issues with live viewing while recording or playback.[should put network issues to rest]

On both my functioning KODI installs, the HD HomeRun is not usable because of constant buffering and skipping. The PC running VLC is the same PC I am attempting to run KODI/HDHR.

NOTE: On the NVIDIA Shield, Netflix, HBO, KODI, Pluto, YouTube, etc all work fine with no buffering [well on the rare occasion with KODI]

I have 30Meg internet [verified weekly via speed test].

I have Jarvis for KODI and the Shield is running Android Lollipop.

I would like to purchase the HDHR DVR software & a new WD Cloud NAS but I am reluctant to do so if I cannot get HDHR to play nice with KODI. I am not about to drop KODI as in all other respects it works very well for me.
Consider running a seperate DVR/PVR backend like MythBackend or TVHeadEnd. If you have an old computer you can slab up on your home network and use as a dedicated MythBackend server you'll save yourself the money of buying the dedicated HDHR DVR and the trials and tribulations of being a Beta tester for them (although the SD folks seem pretty solid)

Personally, I've been using MythBackend for a few years with my HDHR Prime and Schedules Direct for EPG data and it's super stable. The MythTV PVR plugin for Kodi works great and is easy to set up. It allows me to have a whole house DVR that is accessible by all my Kodi boxes.
(2016-04-14, 16:50)jnevill Wrote: Consider running a seperate DVR/PVR backend like MythBackend or TVHeadEnd.

Well, I usually avoid Linux & it's stone age command line like the plague, I could dual boot a very under used PC to run Linux for running one of these 2 applications if for nothing else but a test to see if I can get a stable KODI experience for OTA recordings.

It is a more complete solution assuming it would resolve the KODI buffering/skipping issue.

Even though I had a bunch of fun cobbling a home brew DVR using VB 6.0 I could not get around KODI buffering/skipping while VLC worked quite well.
The Linux set up isn't too bad and MythBackend uses MythTv-Setup command to launch an easy to use GUI, so you won't have to do much of anything on the command line. It's kind of a set it and forget it type of thing.

It would almost definitely fix your buffering issue since you won't be relying on uPNP or streams directly from your HDHR. Plus you get PVR, EPG, and DVR capabilities with minimal effort. I take it for granted now, but I remember being totally stoked the first time I was able to pause live tv, schedule a recording, and surf the guide on my home-rolled box.
(2016-04-14, 19:22)jnevill Wrote: The Linux set up isn't too bad and MythBackend uses MythTv-Setup command to launch an easy to use GUI, so you won't have to do much of anything on the command line. It's kind of a set it and forget it type of thing.

It would almost definitely fix your buffering issue since you won't be relying on uPNP or streams directly from your HDHR. Plus you get PVR, EPG, and DVR capabilities with minimal effort. I take it for granted now, but I remember being totally stoked the first time I was able to pause live tv, schedule a recording, and surf the guide on my home-rolled box.

Well, attempting to use an old Dell XP with 2GB of ram ended up being an epic failure. First the DVD reader failed so I placed the iso file on my NAS and loaded it onto the Dell from there. With a 40/30 gig set of partitions I should have enough in the 30 gig for Linux and temp storage of videos.

HOWEVER, while this PC was never a speed demon running XP, glaciers move faster than Ubuntu and you can actually watch individual screens slowly developing when they are launched. When I attempted to "install" linux on the "E" partition I only saw "C" in the dialog box so I did not go any further. There are still some important programs/files on that PC in the wonderful world of Windows.

Looks like my 5th attempt at Linux ended up the same way. Thanks for the help anyways guess I'll be looking through Windows for the time being.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
2 KODI installs buffering/skipping. [VLC Perfect}0