• 16(current)
Android HiMedia Q5/Q10 Pro (2016) with Kodi (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio)
(2016-04-21, 12:47)JustAnotherUser Wrote: re the micro-stuttering. Have they fixed or at least acknowledged its a priority fix yet ?
Did you find this happens only on certain file formats/encodings/resolution or affects everything?

I'm reluctant to buy until at least this very basic requirement of a media player is sorted.

Does it have a Source Direct mode or is everything processed forced throu its Imprex engine? (can it be bypassed)

Thanks

(2016-04-21, 13:51)hdmkv Wrote: Micro-stuttering isn't fixed yet. The behavior on pre-production sample is a little different than what we're seeing in production... so this issue is being re-visited w/HiMedia. The result is same though w/slight speed-ups, microstutters, frame-skips every so often (noticed a dozen or so times in a full movie). On pre-production, it seemed to have a pattern; on production, not sure yet.

On Imprex engine, yes, it can be fully disabled.

I agree with hdmkv above. The stuttering is the most frustrating outstanding issue on the Q10 Pro (well, besides the inability to flip eyes on 3D but I am sure that will be fixed soon). We are trying to find a pattern in the stuttering problem to provide a clue to Himedia.

One thing I should point out is that the external player is always processing the image even after disabling Imprex. I found that both whites and blacks are crushed even with Imprex off and image settings set to standard. So unfortunately, there is no true pass-through available on the device as it is always altering the image. I reported this problem to Himedia during the pre-production testing and I have confirmed the problem exists on the production hardware as well. The work-around I found was to turn off all Imprex options and set Brightness to 66 and Contrast to 43. This eliminates crushing on both blacks and whites. I used a test pattern from Digital Video Essentials to confirm this.
(2016-04-21, 17:49)Skank Wrote:
(2016-04-21, 17:48)movie78 Wrote:
(2016-04-21, 17:29)JustAnotherUser Wrote: Well there's the rub...

Do you want near perfect playback with a Clunky Jukebox / File list UI

or a great Kodi UI with broken playback !?

Wink

Both. Don't be greedy!

What do you mean by broken playback?
As far as I know the Chromebox is a perfect Kodi Box and the 3D MVC Build with Windows is just in his Alpha stage, the Himedia Q10 Pro just got release and from what I am hearing, only a few things need to fix.

Didnt you have the q10 pro also?
What are your findings?

I am going to play with it this weekend, these media players are taking too much time of my lifeLaugh
Have to watch movies
Media players testings
NBA PlayOffs
Kodi Forums
AVS Forums

What I'm I going to doHuh
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
Just 2 forums

Lol im say 10-15 forums...
(2016-04-21, 17:54)BigPines Wrote: One thing I should point out is that the hardware is always processing the image even after disabling Imprex. I found that both whites and blacks are crushed even with Imprex off and image settings set to standard. So unfortunately, there is no true pass-through available on the device as it is always altering the image. I reported this problem to Himedia during the pre-production testing and I have confirmed the problem exists on the production hardware as well. The work-around I found was to turn off all Imprex options and set Brightness to 66 and Contrast to 43. This eliminates crushing on both blacks and whites. I used a test pattern from Digital Video Essentials to confirm this.
Excellent, thanks for that workaround.

(2016-04-21, 17:54)BigPines Wrote: I agree with hdmkv above. The stuttering is the most frustrating outstanding issue on the Q10 Pro. We are trying to find a pattern in the problem to provide a clue to Himedia.
Next to the microstutters, the left/right tinted vertical bands is a major annoyance as well. Example 1, 2 and 3. This issue wasn't present in the pre-production version.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
Aw crap hdmkv! I haven't seen that one yet. Dang! Very disappointing. I'll look for it on my Ant Man ISO.
Yeah those microstutters is an issue
I hope i dont see this..

How long does it take to see first microstutter +-?
(2016-04-21, 17:54)BigPines Wrote: One thing I should point out is that the external player is always processing the image even after disabling Imprex. I found that both whites and blacks are crushed even with Imprex off and image settings set to standard. So unfortunately, there is no true pass-through available on the device as it is always altering the image. I reported this problem to Himedia during the pre-production testing and I have confirmed the problem exists on the production hardware as well. The work-around I found was to turn off all Imprex options and set Brightness to 66 and Contrast to 43. This eliminates crushing on both blacks and whites. I used a test pattern from Digital Video Essentials to confirm this.

Can anyone confirm this?
(2016-04-21, 18:12)BigPines Wrote: Aw crap hdmkv! I haven't seen that one yet. Dang! Very disappointing. I'll look for it on my Ant Man ISO.
You may need to let it play for 30+ mins. I already added this to spreadsheet for HiMedia. But, would help to have confirmation of issue, and in more than one 3D ISO, and whether it happens in 1:1 MKV's as well.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
Skank, unless you have become accustom to the stutters, you will see them. Unfortunately, I have been watching them for so long on Himedia products that I don't always notice them anymore. It is just business as usual. Very sad. If they could fix this, I would be ever so happy.

I am confident that anyone who takes the time to run test patterns through the Q10 Pro will find the same issues I did. Just for clarification, I first calibrated my set using DVE from my BD player to create a reference for the display. I then ran the same test patterns through the display via the Q10 Pro.
(2016-04-21, 18:25)hdmkv Wrote:
(2016-04-21, 18:12)BigPines Wrote: Aw crap hdmkv! I haven't seen that one yet. Dang! Very disappointing. I'll look for it on my Ant Man ISO.
You may need to let it play for 30+ mins. I already added this to spreadsheet for HiMedia. But, would help to have confirmation of issue, and in more than one 3D ISO, and whether it happens in 1:1 MKV's as well.

Only in 3d iso?
(2016-04-21, 18:25)BigPines Wrote: Skank, unless you have become accustom to the stutters, you will see them. Unfortunately, I have been watching them for so long on Himedia products that I don't always notice them anymore. It is just business as usual. Very sad. If they could fix this, I would be ever so happy.

I am confident that anyone who takes the time to run test patterns through the Q10 Pro will find the same issues I did. Just for clarification, I first calibrated my set using DVE from my BD player. I then ran the same test patterns through the display via the Q10 Pro.

i dont see them on Q5/M3
(2016-04-21, 18:26)Skank Wrote: i dont see them on Q5/M3
Well, that is interesting. I had them with ISOs on the Q5 and legacy Q10 as well but I think they are actually worse on the Q10 Pro and now I notice them on MKVs too. Maybe I am very sensitive to this problem.
Mmm thats concerning Sad
It was in beta builds too?
Yes, I have always seen the problem when using the external player on Q5, Legacy Q10 and Q10 Pro pre-production. I first noticed the problem in MKVs once the feature to allow chapter stops in MKV was introduced (a very welcome feature I might add). This may be a coincidence but I figure I'd mention it anyway. I am still testing the extent of the issue on the production unit. BTW, I always use 1080p24 setting.

Don't get me wrong, even with these issues, the Q10 Pro is a nice unit and it is my unit of choice. I would go to NUC/Windows to get "perfect" playback except I need the internal hard drive so I can take some stuff for my kids to watch when we go on vacation and stuff like that. I continue to hold out hope that Himedia will fix these very few serious problems.
If you could point at the reason then maybe yeah
  • 16(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HiMedia Q5/Q10 Pro (2016) with Kodi (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio)8