• 199(current)
Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio
I didn't have any problem with 3D playback on my Dell laptop with nVIDIA 3D vision. I tested with Kodi 16.1 and some HSBS and HTAB titles. I do have to select "hardware based" for the laptop screen to switch to 3D automatically.
The only issue is there is no refresh rate switching (which is expected for a laptop screen).
the option "same as movie", put´s the image side by side, as i mentioned before; and yes wesk05, the problem is no refresh rate switching, he somehow makes that, but doesn´t make the conversion and just stays Side by Side
Hy everyone,

I am new here and I have some general question.

Is there any PQ difference between Pi2 and Pi3? Why the NUC has better PQ than the Pi?

I would like to buy a media player but even after I read the comparison table I still can not decide. I have a 50" Panasonic plasma and a USB DAC for my amp (so it's not a problem if there is no HD audio stream through HDMI).
(2016-05-03, 08:27)NOGRP Wrote: Is there any PQ difference between Pi2 and Pi3?

In general - no. The Pi 2 and Pi 3 have identical VPU/GPU hardware, but the Pi 3 default clock rate for the GPU is bumped up. For the highest quality 1080i "MMAL Advanced" deinterlacing a Pi 3 needs no additional overclock, whereas the Pi 2 does need a mild overclock (or did). If you do this the results are the same. (The original Pi can only do "MMAL Advanced" at SD, and drops to "MMAL Bob" at HD)

The Pi 3 has a faster CPU though, so HEVC 1080p software decoding will cope with more content on the Pi 3 than the Pi 2 can.
Quote:The Pi 3 has a faster CPU though, so HEVC 1080p software decoding will cope with more content on the Pi 3 than the Pi 2 can.

Thank you for your answer. So is there any way to achieve nearly same PQ with the new Pi 3 as the NUC has on 1080p?
PQ is subjective, and Pi's is excellent. It's just that several of us find Intel's PQ a little better for 3D MVC. As mentioned before, slightly better depth/dimensionality, slightly better details and slightly richer color palette (little better saturation).
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
Hi Guys,

Looking for some help and advice here, if someone can please help me Smile

I currently have a nVidia Shield and a windows 7 based HTPC machine (which is what I've been using XBMC/Kodi on for the last 5-6 years now!).
I only use Kodi to stream films/tv shows from my own NAS server.

I purchased the shield mainly to play 4k streaming content from netflix. Probably thinking about it now was a bad decision that i didn't need it. Hence, i will probably end up selling this box. I purchased this over the Amazon fire tv because the shield could candle 4k @ 60hz while the amazon couldn't.

Now, I've recently upgraded my home cinema room to 7.1.4 Surround Sound with Dolby Atmos and DTS:X support. Also with a 4k Laser Projector (Epson LS1000). Ive found out from reading around that my current Kodi HTPC probably can't play 3D Bluray ISO files?!? All this time before i didn't need to worry about full resolution rips as Half-SBS 3d files and 1080p bluray rips were more then adequate on my old projector and still looked decent. Now with the 4k compatible projector and better quality image i want the best resolution to display. Hence, why from now on I'm going for either Remux rips or straight bluray iso files. These are all fine with my current HTPC, but the problem comes with the 3d Bluray ISO files.

Hence, i was looking at a way to play these and i came across this thread, which had a bunch of recommendations to buy. The HiMedia Q10 Pro seems like a good favourite all rounder that will probably do everything i want and is also available to buy within the next few weeks. However, I've read about some of the issues in it.

So what would you guys suggest that i go for?

Im looking for something that would do everything really and also a good future proof option. Everything meaning:

Full resolution 3D (MVC decoding with frame-packing rendering), Full HD audio passthrough (including Dolby Atmos and DTS:X), 4K (with 60fps and 10-bit HEVC support), full hd 3d iso bluray playback (ideally with menus), streaming capabilities from my NAS.

Which would you guys recommend me to get for all the above? The most important being NAS streaming, 4k, 3d bluray iso, and Dolby Atmos.

Thanks!
What kind of a HTPC do you have? Specs?
My HT
(2016-05-03, 15:03)hdmkv Wrote: What kind of a HTPC do you have? Specs?

Hi, Thanks for the quick response.

I imported an Assassin HTPC in 2012 from USA, it has the following specs:

Bare Bone Series
Case: Premium Standard: 17.3” x 12.7” x 5.9” (w/ 300w Bronze rated PSU) - Micro-ATX MB
Motherboard: Z77 (Intel) / A75 (AMD)
Processor: i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000 Graphics (must use H77/Z77 MB)
Power Supply: Included w/ case
SSD: 64GB
RAM (DDR3 1600): 4GB
Optical Drive: Blu-ray Drive

Thanks.
Hmm, I think it should work for MVC. Why not download the latest MVC build, make the proper settings and just try it?

For 4K, w/o losing 3D ISO, HiMedia Q10 Pro or upcoming Q5 Pro would be best. Or, if you can wait until end of year, Kaby Lake-based NUC's will do 10-bit 4K@60. Current Skylake is 8-bit I believe.
My HT
I will suggest Himedia Q10 Pro or Intel Skylake NUC

Some BD Menu works in Kodi
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
(2016-05-03, 16:15)hdmkv Wrote: Hmm, I think it should work for MVC. Why not download the latest MVC build, make the proper settings and just try it?

For 4K, w/o losing 3D ISO, HiMedia Q10 Pro or upcoming Q5 Pro would be best. Or, if you can wait until end of year, Kaby Lake-based NUC's will do 10-bit 4K@60. Current Skylake is 8-bit I believe.

okay thank you, i had a quick read through the guide, i can try to use these steps and do this once i get a chance. VR headsets are at the moment taking up all of my free time after work Big Grin

A couple of things though:

- Do i need to uninstall my current kodi installation, before installing this MVC build? Earlier i think i have Kodi v.15 release candidate installed.
- If i need to uninstall, can i copy my profile folder over and use the same settings/setups etc on the MVC build?
- So with this MVC build, will it use Kodi's built in Video Player to play 3d Bluray ISO's or do i still need to setup an external player for this? Doesn't seem to say in the guide, or maybe i just missed it!

Thanks for you suggestions also for the 4k player, so it seems like according to my requirements the HiMedia Q10 is the best option for me if i needed something within the next month or so. Otherwise if i can wait another 4-6 months then i should wait for the Kaby one?

One question with regards to the 4k box, can the HiMedia Q10 play netflix in 4k UHD mode? I think i read somewhere that it can't! Any reason for this? It would be a good thing if it could so that i could get rid of my nVidia Shield, as currently the only thing that is used for is the 4k netflix streaming.
(2016-05-03, 16:16)movie78 Wrote: I will suggest Himedia Q10 Pro or Intel Skylake NUC

Is there any major differences between the two? According to the front page, they sound quite similar. The only main differences that i can find is that the Q10 Pro has some early firmware problems that will most likely be fixed with an update. However, the price seems its a lot cheaper for the Q10 Pro. Where the Q10 Pro is i think £150, the Skylake looks to be around £300!

Is the Q10 Pro a better option out of the two? and more future proof etc...
(2016-05-03, 17:22)KILLERNADS Wrote:
(2016-05-03, 16:15)hdmkv Wrote: Hmm, I think it should work for MVC. Why not download the latest MVC build, make the proper settings and just try it?

okay thank you, i had a quick read through the guide, i can try to use these steps and do this once i get a chance. VR headsets are at the moment taking up all of my free time after work Big Grin

A couple of things though:

- Do i need to uninstall my current kodi installation, before installing this MVC build? Earlier i think i have Kodi v.15 release candidate installed.
- If i need to uninstall, can i copy my profile folder over and use the same settings/setups etc on the MVC build?
- So with this MVC build, will it use Kodi's built in Video Player to play 3d Bluray ISO's or do i still need to setup an external player for this? Doesn't seem to say in the guide, or maybe i just missed it!

Thanks for you suggestions also for the 4k player, so it seems like according to my requirements the HiMedia Q10 is the best option for me if i needed something within the next month or so. Otherwise if i can wait another 4-6 months then i should wait for the Kaby one?

One question with regards to the 4k box, can the HiMedia Q10 play netflix in 4k UHD mode? I think i read somewhere that it can't! Any reason for this? It would be a good thing if it could so that i could get rid of my nVidia Shield, as currently the only thing that is used for is the 4k netflix streaming.

- Do i need to uninstall my current kodi installation, before installing this MVC build? If you going to uninstal try to Backup your data first or just install the MVC version over the previous version.

- So with this MVC build, will it use Kodi's built in Video Player to play 3d Bluray? Yes, no external player needed.

One question with regards to the 4k box, can the HiMedia Q10 play netflix in 4k UHD mode?
No
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
(2016-05-03, 17:33)KILLERNADS Wrote:
(2016-05-03, 16:16)movie78 Wrote: I will suggest Himedia Q10 Pro or Intel Skylake NUC

Is there any major differences between the two? According to the front page, they sound quite similar. The only main differences that i can find is that the Q10 Pro has some early firmware problems that will most likely be fixed with an update. However, the price seems its a lot cheaper for the Q10 Pro. Where the Q10 Pro is i think £150, the Skylake looks to be around £300!

Is the Q10 Pro a better option out of the two? and more future proof etc...

What is the most important feature for you 1-4 in order?
3D MVC
BD-MENU
NETFLIX UHD
  • 199(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio17