Req Animated GIF playback in pictures
Good morning KODI-Community

I have been using kodi(or xbmc) for most of my passive media consumption for a while now and appart from some os and hardware issues have not had any rela problems with it.

However it allways lacked one feature that I was missing and that was GIF playback. GIF playback itselfe is obviously implemented since I can set animated backgrounds and such. But when I look at a GIF in the pictures section it just shows the first frame and does not animate. I understand the main focus of this program is Video so I can somewhat understand that they are neglecting the pictures section. I still would like this feature and I hope somebody can help me with that. I have had succes in skin-modding to get some features I want, so maybe this can be done in a similar fashion? Does anybody know how to get this feature or if it is planned?

In the worst case I may just download the source and try hacking it in myself but I would like to avoid that if possible.

The only other information regarding the actual playback of GIFs is from 2012 and has not been solved.
I think it wasnt included because it uses up too much system memory. It crashed peoples PC's due to the size of the gifs.
(2016-05-25, 17:04)zag Wrote: I think it wasnt included because it uses up too much system memory. It crashed peoples PC's due to the size of the gifs.
Interresting, hat would be an argument to leave it disbled by default but not implementing it sounds a little harsh.
So is there an easy (or at least easier than messing with a giant codebase) way to enable it?
Probably, just check github for the animated gif PR's
(2016-05-25, 21:07)zag Wrote: Probably, just check github for the animated gif PR's
This is propably a dumb question but what does PR mean in this context? (I assume it is not public relations)
Pull request (the code on github that introduced the feature)
I just downloaded the latest nightly (holy mother of satan a new design?!) and saw something funny: the thumbnails of the gifs in my pictures are animated but if you open them it is only the first frame. I assume if they implemented it in the thumbs it should propably also be implemented in the actual playback.

There are actually a lot of pull requests regarding gifs but most focus on backgrounds and stuff. A lot of them are by a developer named ace20022 I think I might try to contact him if I do not figure this out.
Yep just make sure you read the comments first, all the development info(and restrictions) is in there about this already I believe.
(2016-05-26, 09:36)zag Wrote: Yep just make sure you read the comments first, all the development info(and restrictions) is in there about this already I believe.

It is kind of hard to tell from the coments if they are talking about the pictures section or just backgrounds and stuff
Rainbow 
Hi,

I too would LOVE to see animated GIF's supported in the Picture Viewer.

I have a Picture Slideshow Add-On screensaver installed which plays GIF's without a problem and very smoothly.The only downside to this being that I can only point it to a folder and not just select an individual GIF.The solution would obviously be to use the built in 'Picture Viewer'....pleeeeease can we make this happen.AngelBig Grin
I am sporadically testing the nightlies and it seems the thumbnails are animated but the actual playback is not.
I assume this will get fixed eventually. However this might take a while.

If you find something let me know
(2016-06-30, 13:12)chestwood96 Wrote: I am sporadically testing the nightlies and it seems the thumbnails are animated but the actual playback is not.
I assume this will get fixed eventually. However this might take a while.

If you find something let me know

I will do.

It should be REALLY simple no?
(2016-07-01, 13:15)Wolfman Wrote: It should be REALLY simple no?

Famous last words XD

Famous last words XD
(2016-07-01, 14:12)chestwood96 Wrote:

Famous last words XD

Haha!Big Grin

Seeing as I am currently building a skin and have GIF's playing as background images,window images,as well as Screensaver......I really am flumoxed as to why the one thing that should be able to play them 'The Picture Viewer' simply can't...CRAZY!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Animated GIF playback in pictures0