Using Hyperion with a HTPC
Hi,

I'm running Kodi on a Raspberry Pi with Hyperion for a few years now and am quite happy with it. Nonetheless I'm planning to setup a light HTPC which might replace my Pi as a media center since I would be able to watch Amazon Prime Video and Netflix - afaik? One thing I don't want to miss is Hyperion though, so is it possible to get it working with some Arduino-magic since my HTPC mainboard won't have any GPIO?

Do you know any good tutorials that include an Arduino but no extra hardware components like HDMI-splitter? Most of those I found are for Raspberry Pi. I'm using a ws2801 light strip.

Thanks!
Dennis
(2016-05-30, 18:01)laemmen Wrote: Hi,

I'm running Kodi on a Raspberry Pi with Hyperion for a few years now and am quite happy with it. Nonetheless I'm planning to setup a light HTPC which might replace my Pi as a media center since I would be able to watch Amazon Prime Video and Netflix - afaik? One thing I don't want to miss is Hyperion though, so is it possible to get it working with some Arduino-magic since my HTPC mainboard won't have any GPIO?

Do you know any good tutorials that include an Arduino but no extra hardware components like HDMI-splitter? Most of those I found are for Raspberry Pi. I'm using a ws2801 light strip.

Thanks!
Dennis

from what i was told you can just keep running your RPI with hyperion hooked to your lights like it is now except your rpi kodi hyperion addon gets configured as a "Server" and you install Hyperion on your HTPC and configure it as a client and it all just "works" over the local network, downside is it involves dedicating your RPI to becoming part of your hyperion setup.
Main System - HTPC - Intel I3 6300 - Asrock z170 - 16 GB DDR4 - 128gb SSD - 65" UHD HDR Sony Android TV - Pioneer VSX 1130-K - 7.2.2 speakers
Other devices currently in use - 55" 3D UHD LG TV - 2 Fire TV's - Nexus Player - MiniMX s905 - Voyo Vmac Mini
Ubuntu Server - 12 TB NAS - MYSQL - Torrent Box
(2016-05-31, 00:47)dukester Wrote: from what i was told you can just keep running your RPI with hyperion hooked to your lights like it is now except your rpi kodi hyperion addon gets configured as a "Server" and you install Hyperion on your HTPC and configure it as a client and it all just "works" over the local network, downside is it involves dedicating your RPI to becoming part of your hyperion setup.

Well, I could spare my old Raspbbery Pi B but is there any perceptible lag?
(2016-05-31, 07:46)laemmen Wrote:
(2016-05-31, 00:47)dukester Wrote: from what i was told you can just keep running your RPI with hyperion hooked to your lights like it is now except your rpi kodi hyperion addon gets configured as a "Server" and you install Hyperion on your HTPC and configure it as a client and it all just "works" over the local network, downside is it involves dedicating your RPI to becoming part of your hyperion setup.

Well, I could spare my old Raspbbery Pi B but is there any perceptible lag?

apparently not, i have no first hand experience with the setup tho.

easiest way to tell would be to fire up another device u have with Kodi and give it a try..

Here where i got the information above.

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...=ambilight
Main System - HTPC - Intel I3 6300 - Asrock z170 - 16 GB DDR4 - 128gb SSD - 65" UHD HDR Sony Android TV - Pioneer VSX 1130-K - 7.2.2 speakers
Other devices currently in use - 55" 3D UHD LG TV - 2 Fire TV's - Nexus Player - MiniMX s905 - Voyo Vmac Mini
Ubuntu Server - 12 TB NAS - MYSQL - Torrent Box
Just use your leds via usb instead of GPIO. Can run either hyperion or boblight then, boblight seems much better in my opinion though.
I just setup Kodi on Ubuntu and used my Rpi as Hyperion host. As expected, and also shown in the short demo video here, there is a perceptible lag. Plus it is only working in playback mode and only the grabber size and frame rate can be set Sad
(2016-06-22, 19:05)ianuk2005 Wrote: Just use your leds via usb instead of GPIO. Can run either hyperion or boblight then, boblight seems much better in my opinion though.

How would I control them? Do you have any tutorials on that? Tongue
(2016-06-27, 18:15)laemmen Wrote:
(2016-06-22, 19:05)ianuk2005 Wrote: Just use your leds via usb instead of GPIO. Can run either hyperion or boblight then, boblight seems much better in my opinion though.

How would I control them? Do you have any tutorials on that? Tongue

Google is probably the best bet, your going to need to program your arduino yourself to do this. Any pre-made script you find your likely going to have to modify to your specific setup (e.g. LED amount).

If you've found guides already that are for a raspberry pi + arduino via usb they should be fine to follow.

Quick search brings this up for your specific lights and setting the arduino up for adalight: http://www.instructables.com/id/Extreme-.../?ALLSTEPS

There's basically 2 parts of the software:

LED Controller - normally an arduino with a specific implementation:
Adalight
Lightpack
Paintpack
etc

Host software - on a HTPC, rpi, external box:
Hyperion
Boblight
Prismatek
Ambibox
etc

Most of the host software have settings to send data to different LED Controllers, e.g. on hyperion you can select adalight, lightpack etc. You sometimes also have to specify the port that data will be sent through (in this case one of your USB ports).

Hope this helps.
Use my git ino files for ambilight with arduino. No lag and no flicker. Just google illiac4 git.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Using Hyperion with a HTPC0