NVIDIA Shield - Wake on LAN? Kodi on Startup?
Question 
Just about to splash out on a Shield TV box - but had two quick questions for those in the know.

1) Can I start the Shield using WOL? At the moment I use the http://yatse.tv Android remote control to turn on my Kodi box. Can I do the same with the NVIDIA?

2) I really only want a Kodi box - no need for Netflix / YouTube / etc. Is it possible to have the Shield run Kodi at startup?

Thanks all - really looking forward to passthrough audio and all the other goodies :-)
1. You should be able to use WOL, you need to open port 9 (or change to port 12 better) in your router and also recommended to setup a reserved IP address/static IP address in your router for the device (in this case Nvidia Shield). Then it should work properly.

2. There's an app called XBMC Launcher in the play store but also if you decide to use SPMC (a fork of Kodi) then the dev releases a version with launcher included in the app in his website so no need for another 3rd party app to do that.
My XBMC/Kodi folder: addons, skins, addon/menu backgrounds & more
That's brilliant news. Are you generally happy with it?

Thanks!
SPMC launcher does NOT work on the shield, not even a rooted one and not without modifying the original launcher. There are some workarounds though:
  • Install SPMC launcher and Hide/unhide the original leanback launcher using ADB Shell command
    Code:
    pm hide com.google.android.leanbacklauncher
    pm unhide com.google.android.leanbacklauncher
    - This can be potentially dangerous if SMPC fails to start
  • Install SPMC default apk and copy xbmc_env.properties to root of SDcard and set
    Code:
    xbmc.autostart=yes
    - This will not actually replace the launcher but will start SPMC right after the launcher has started
OK, good to know. Can you confirm if Wake On LAN works on the shield? Or some other way to turn it on from my Android phone?
Haven't tested that yet. Also got Yatse and will give it a try
No luck on the WOL

The Shield doesn't actually power off, it just goes to sleep. Funny thing, as far as Yatse is concerned, the device (and therefore Kodi) is still active and it sends commands to Kodi/SPMC. You can start content and it will actually play even if the devices seems 'dead'.

Haven't found a way to actually wake the device (at least not with WOL). You can wake the device remotely using ADB (from a connected PC). Haven't tried if this is possible from a Phone
(2016-06-01, 21:47)DragonFly Wrote:
  • Install SPMC default apk and copy xbmc_env.properties to root of SDcard and set
    Code:
    xbmc.autostart=yes
    - This will not actually replace the launcher but will start SPMC right after the launcher has started
Can you elaborate further on exactly how to do this? Maybe a step by step as I'm having trouble understanding the copying of xbmc_env.properties to root of SDcard and set. TIA!
(2016-06-02, 02:39)mjbxx Wrote:
(2016-06-01, 21:47)DragonFly Wrote:
    Code:
    xbmc.autostart=yes
Can you elaborate further on exactly how to do this? Maybe a step by step as I'm having trouble understanding the copying of xbmc_env.properties to root of SDcard and set. TIA!

You'll need to use a Text-editor on your PC (preferably not notepad). Create new file, add the line xbmc.autostart=yes and save it by naming it xbmc_env.properties

Next copy this file using to a connected Shield TV using ADB or copy to an USB drive and use an Android filemanager installed on the Shield (X-Plore or ES-filemanager) to copy this to the root of the SDcard (where the 'SDcard' is not actually a memory-card but a part of the internal memory of the Shield, the user can access)

It looks like this after copying:

Code:
Alarms
Android
DCIM
Download
Movies
Music
Notifications
Pictures
Podcasts
Ringtones
xbmc_env.properties

Reboot your Shield
(2016-06-02, 11:12)DragonFly Wrote:
(2016-06-02, 02:39)mjbxx Wrote: Can you elaborate further on exactly how to do this? Maybe a step by step as I'm having trouble understanding the copying of xbmc_env.properties to root of SDcard and set. TIA!
You'll need to use a Text-editor on your PC (preferably not notepad). Create new file, add the line xbmc.autostart=yes and save it by naming it xbmc_env.properties

Next copy this file using to a connected Shield TV using ADB or copy to an USB drive and use an Android filemanager installed on the Shield (X-Plore or ES-filemanager) to copy this to the root of the SDcard (where the 'SDcard' is not actually a memory-card but a part of the internal memory of the Shield, the user can access)

It looks like this after copying:

Code:
Alarms
Android
DCIM
Download
Movies
Music
Notifications
Pictures
Podcasts
Ringtones
xbmc_env.properties

Reboot your Shield
Excellent explanation . Thanks!
(2016-06-01, 21:47)DragonFly Wrote: SPMC launcher does NOT work on the shield, not even a rooted one and not without modifying the original launcher. There are some workarounds though:
  • Install SPMC launcher and Hide/unhide the original leanback launcher using ADB Shell command
    Code:
    Code:
    xbmc.autostart=yes

This is awesome i have a shield on the way and will try this.

Do you know how to resume a movie automatically once spmc boots up
(2016-06-01, 21:47)DragonFly Wrote: SPMC launcher does NOT work on the shield, not even a rooted one and not without modifying the original launcher. There are some workarounds though:
    Code:
I actually use the SPMC Launcher and have had issues when the app crashed in the past. A restart of the Shield TV or connecting through adb and using the unhide command works to bring back the leanback launcher for a later re-install of SPMC Launcher. So I am quite comfortable using the SPMC Launcher especially since a bug prior to version 16.4.2 has been squashed. Nothing beats having SPMC/Kodi as the launcher over the Shield TV stock leanback launcher.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NVIDIA Shield - Wake on LAN? Kodi on Startup?0