• 26(current)
ODROID C2 S905 2GB RAM HDMI 2.0 $46
Cheers jdiesel,

The 113Mb read should be fine then.

I reckon the 8gb will be ok as I'm using a sql db on my synology nas.

Lets see how it goes.

Thanks
Richie
Whats the real difference between running the OS from a micro SD card and an eMMC module? I have a micro SD card sitting here doing nothing and the eMMC unit looks pricy for 16GB 75% of the cost of a C2 board.
Should point out i haven't purchased the C2 yet

Should also ask is there a maximum size SD card for the C2?
There about a 10-15 second difference booting up, 9 seconds eMMC. About 25 for the SD Card.

Day to day there is a small difference such as Flicking through Movie posters.
The big difference is when you scrape a large number of Movies, TV Shows and store Metadata. Writing to a eMMC is much quicker than a SD card. You don't do this all the time though.
If you do not scrape large amount of media continually, or used the C2 as a MySQl server then a Class 10 UHS-1 Sandisk of Samsung EVO+ micro SDHC card will be fine.

LibreELEC on the C2 is a pretty snappy OS, no matter which storage medium you choose, just make sure its one of the two recommended SD cards if going down that path. No idea about maximum Size. I do not think there would be a Hard limit with a Linux based OS.

(2016-06-02, 10:59)danfloss Wrote: Whats the real difference between running the OS from a micro SD card and an eMMC module? I have a micro SD card sitting here doing nothing and the eMMC unit looks pricy for 16GB 75% of the cost of a C2 board.
Should point out i haven't purchased the C2 yet

Should also ask is there a maximum size SD card for the C2?

That was my thought exactly. 30$ (29 to be exact) for the eMMC seems expensive compared to the 40$ for the board.

Does it have to be the eMMC chip from Hardkernel? They give quite a lot of information on the Chip which could make it possible to buy it elsewhere. I did a very quick and basic Google search and it didn't come up as easy as I thought. I'll probably go for the Hardkernel one to prevent problems, but it almost doubles the price of the kit. A shame but still good value for money. Not easy to find a 2Gb RAM, 16Gb eMMC, S905 chip solution for under 100$.
(2016-06-02, 15:23)wrxtasy Wrote: There about a 10-15 second difference booting up, 9 seconds eMMC. About 25 for the SD Card.

Day to day there is a small difference such as Flicking through Movie posters.
The big difference is when you scrape a large number of Movies, TV Shows and store Metadata. Writing to a eMMC is much quicker than a SD card. You don't do this all the time though.
If you do not scrape large amount of media continually, or used the C2 as a MySQl server then a Class 10 UHS-1 Sandisk of Samsung EVO+ micro SDHC card will be fine.

LibreELEC on the C2 is a pretty snappy OS, no matter which storage medium you choose, just make sure its one of the two recommended SD cards if going down that path. No idea about maximum Size. I do not think there would be a Hard limit with a Linux based OS.

Cheers mate. I always try and keep the metadata on the portable hard drive. Im simply using the C2 for travel purposes
So because of the post from @wrxtasy, I've suddenly become very interested in this device (mainly because of the x265 support).

But being mainly a Windows guy, and normally I would purchase a NUC for my Kodi needs, the recent issues with the Skylake NUC, and the fact that it only supports x265 8bit (where the Odroid C2 does x265 10bit), are leaning me in the Odroids direction (not to mention the price of a NUC is around $350+ (I normally get the i5 versions) where the Odroid C2 is $40 (but with case and eMMC around $80).

So on to my questions.

1. Is there some place in the States that sells this device (I've seen the bare unit on Amazon for $60)? Preferably an online store that also sells the Cases, and eMMC modules.
2. On the Hardkernel website (http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php) they list the eMMC Modules C2 in either Linux or Android. Do these matter, or do I get a generic blank eMMC module, and put LibreELEC on it?
3. Speaking of LibreELEC, which version has full support for the C2? I see under version 8 that C2 support is coming soon. However, version 8 is setup to use Kodi 17 (currently in Alpha), and I would much rather use Kodi Jarvis (16.1). So which version of LibreELEC provides that?
4. Being a Windows guy, how do I install LibreELEC on a C2 (step by step instructions for a Noob would be greatly appreciated).

Thanks for any, and all help given for the above questions.
@Powerhouse:

1. Ameridroid.com
2. Doesn't matter, you need to install wrxtasy's LibreELEC image to the eMMC anyway. Just make sure you buy one compatible with the C2.
3. Download wrxtasy's version. See first page here (http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=138&t=20415)
4. Download the image, then use Win32 Disk Imager to install the image to the eMMC (https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/)

Once it's installed, affix to the C2 board and boot.
My Theater: JVC X790R + Peerless PRG-UNV | 120" CineWhite UHD-B Screen | KODI Nexus + PreShow Experience | mpv | madVR 204 RTX 2070S | Panasonic UB420 | Denon X3600H @ 5.2.4 | 4 x ADX Maximus w/ Dayton Audio SA230 | 3 x Totem Tribe LCR + Mission M30 Surrounds + SVS PC2000 + Monolith 15 | 40" HDTV w/ Z83 + MoviePosterApp | 40TB Win10 SMB Server over Gigabit Ethernet
(2016-06-02, 20:13)Powerhouse Wrote: So because of the post from @wrxtasy, I've suddenly become very interested in this device (mainly because of the x265 support).

But being mainly a Windows guy, and normally I would purchase a NUC for my Kodi needs, the recent issues with the Skylake NUC, and the fact that it only supports x265 8bit (where the Odroid C2 does x265 10bit), are leaning me in the Odroids direction (not to mention the price of a NUC is around $350+ (I normally get the i5 versions) where the Odroid C2 is $40 (but with case and eMMC around $80).

So on to my questions.

1. Is there some place in the States that sells this device (I've seen the bare unit on Amazon for $60)? Preferably an online store that also sells the Cases, and eMMC modules.
2. On the Hardkernel website (http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php) they list the eMMC Modules C2 in either Linux or Android. Do these matter, or do I get a generic blank eMMC module, and put LibreELEC on it?
3. Speaking of LibreELEC, which version has full support for the C2? I see under version 8 that C2 support is coming soon. However, version 8 is setup to use Kodi 17 (currently in Alpha), and I would much rather use Kodi Jarvis (16.1). So which version of LibreELEC provides that?
4. Being a Windows guy, how do I install LibreELEC on a C2 (step by step instructions for a Noob would be greatly appreciated).

Thanks for any, and all help given for the above questions.

1. Look here: http://www.hardkernel.com/main/distributor.php
2. Doesn't matter, you can reflash it to whatever you want. The eMMC module comes with an micro sd card adapter.
3. If you hit up the Odroid Forum under C2 and Other OS there is a post started by wrxtasy. http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=138&t=20415
4. Use either Win32 Disk Imager or Rufus, plug eMMC into pc using the microsd adapter, flash IMG file using either of those apps. Boot your C2. Setup the network on your C2. Download the udated tar file (LibreELEC-Odroid_C2.aarch64-7.0.1.3D.ISO.MySQL.tar) via SMB copy this to the Update directory on your C2. Reboot your C2. It will update.
Are there any images with a recent kernel? I've read that the newest Linux kernel is 3.14 - is this right? I have an Astrometa tuner and I need DVB-T2 drivers for it. Is it at least possible to compile/backport the drivers without hassle?
(2016-06-02, 23:45)membrane Wrote: Are there any images with a recent kernel? I've read that the newest Linux kernel is 3.14 - is this right?

Yes - that's a major limitation with the C2 - and it's infuriating. AIUI Hardkernel and AMLogic should have started work on implement a 4.x kernel - it was announced a little while back.

Quote:I have an Astrometa tuner and I need DVB-T2 drivers for it. Is it at least possible to compile/backport the drivers without hassle?

Some drivers have been back ported, but it's not a neat media_build platform because some AMLogic Linux kernel headers aren't quite in the right place for media_build... (timex.h has been a problem ISTR)
Hello Guys,
first of all - wrxtasy and all other ppl who are working on this - a realy big thx and huge respect ! you do a realy awesome job !

ok now to my "Problem"
i get yesterday my Odroid C2 device - because of some money problems i can just test it with a SD-Card (Toshiba Exceria M301-EC UHS)
libreelec work like a charm, and my first tests with some x265 files and some normal SBS movies are running realy fine - the CPU and Ram power seems realy great too compared to my Pi2
but it seems this sdcard is my ugly "bottleneck" - when i navigate through my movies/tvshow the fanarts ( poster, backrounds etc ) are popping up reeeeealy slow and laggy
ok, when i make a speedtest here on my windows pc and CrystalDiskMark i get a read speed with around 35MB ( lol ) and writing speed of around 13mb ( mega lol ) - navigation is almost the same like with the pi2 ... but the c2 should me much faster ( 2gb ram and 2ghz quadcore ) ... so i think this sdcard option is just temporary ! and i realy need a emmc card !

ok, now my wish that maybe someone can help me with here - i want to use the skin MADNOX on it ( its running but realy slow atm ... i think/hope because of the sd card ! )
so maybe someone here with some time left could maybe test the madnox skin on his C2 with a ( at least the 16gb ) emmc card and tell me if the navigation with the emmc is smoother ? right now the posters or banners are realy laggy and slow
if its the same with an emmc card ( slow and laggy ) i can save my money for a emmc

if there is someone out there who can help me with this - would be realy nice and cool and big thx in advance
maybe he can contact me over pm or so with results or so

here is the link to madnox: MADNOX SKIN

greets from germany
schimi2k
HW: I5, AMD A6, Odroid C2 OS:Win10 & LibreElec Kodi:latest 16.x & 17.x Skin: MADNOX

M A D N O X - incl "HOW TO - SETUP TRICKS..." on first page !!!
Extra GFX Stuff for AeonNox Mods
(2016-06-02, 15:23)wrxtasy Wrote: If you do not scrape large amount of media continually, or used the C2 as a MySQl server then a Class 10 UHS-1 Sandisk of Samsung EVO+ micro SDHC card will be fine.
Proven, recommended and will not break the Piggy Bank Wink

Nothing is slow and laggy if you get either the correct micro SDHC cards or eMMC.

(2016-06-03, 04:29)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2016-06-02, 15:23)wrxtasy Wrote: If you do not scrape large amount of media continually, or used the C2 as a MySQl server then a Class 10 UHS-1 Sandisk of Samsung EVO+ micro SDHC card will be fine.
Proven, recommended and will not break the Piggy Bank Wink

Nothing is slow and laggy if you get either the correct micro SDHC cards or eMMC.

Big Thx again wrxtasy Smile
( my Piggy Bank is realy thin hehe ) - but i will definately buy a eMMC next month ...
but still - if someone have some time it would be realy great if he could test the MADNOX Skin with eMMC maybe Wink

greets
schimi
HW: I5, AMD A6, Odroid C2 OS:Win10 & LibreElec Kodi:latest 16.x & 17.x Skin: MADNOX

M A D N O X - incl "HOW TO - SETUP TRICKS..." on first page !!!
Extra GFX Stuff for AeonNox Mods
With the Pi 3 I find, thankfully, that it picks up everything that I have connected to the USB ports. However, not sure if it could be related to the older kernel etc, but will the C2 also recognise things like the TurtleBeach USB stick - which allows optical SPDIF extraction for my Logitech Z5500 sound system. Or will I need to use my HDMI audio extractor if I decided to buy one....?

Thanks Smile
(2016-06-02, 23:54)noggin Wrote: Some drivers have been back ported, but it's not a neat media_build platform because some AMLogic Linux kernel headers aren't quite in the right place for media_build... (timex.h has been a problem ISTR)

Thanks. I'll set up a Debian VM to compile the drivers. It should be feasble to to so, there are reports that it worked on 3.13. I will post results and maybe sumbit them to the LibreElec team/build.
  • 26(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ODROID C2 S905 2GB RAM HDMI 2.0 $4610