What is the inefficency in Kodi for HEVC?
Please post a Debug Log with the recent nightly. It will clearly and 100% without doubts tell us the number of threads it opens.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Recap all the info in this thread I don't think anymore that the issue is caused by incorrect API usage of ffmpeg.

Kodi on Windows is still 32bit. Maybe some functions in hevc decoder do much better when using 64bit. @DJ_Izumi can you try OE/LE build that is 64bit on your machine?
(2016-06-04, 03:49)DJ_Izumi Wrote:
(2016-06-03, 13:37)Gracus Wrote: 4K 10bits HEVC: CPU usage around 20-25%

In both cases, all the 12 threads of the CPU seem to be used even if I use an old Krypton nightly build from April 1st

Huh, what operating system are you running that on? I've tested on three different Windows 10 powered PCs and I can't make that remotely happen. I'm using 16.1 but just tested the recent nightly to no avail. I'm using the sample file provided in this thread and notta.

I run Windows 10 Pro 64bits

But like I said, I run an old Kodi 17 nightly from April 1st.
Seems to have the same issue on nightly from yesterday so maybe something has been broke on the way...
Moanbag is in da place!
(2016-06-04, 10:16)FernetMenta Wrote: Recap all the info in this thread I don't think anymore that the issue is caused by incorrect API usage of ffmpeg.

Kodi on Windows is still 32bit. Maybe some functions in hevc decoder do much better when using 64bit. @DJ_Izumi can you try OE/LE build that is 64bit on your machine?

I said I would on Sunday. Sorry but I'm working long hours right now.
Can please _anybody_ of you provide the Debug Log and testing with a kodi 17 nightly from April 1st (!!!!) is an Apri's fools joke and worth absolutely nothing. It even has ffmpeg 2.x ...
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2016-06-04, 14:12)fritsch Wrote: Can please _anybody_ of you provide the Debug Log and testing with a kodi 17 nightly from April 1st (!!!!) is an Apri's fools joke and worth absolutely nothing. It even has ffmpeg 2.x ...

I'll try it tonight when I get home from work.
How do I GET the April 1st nightly? This page doesn't seem to go back father than May 14th.

http://mirrors.kodi.tv/nightlies/win32/
I'm posting a log with the most recent binary and using the sample file linked in this thread:

http://pastebin.com/rVSvfWym

Kodi seems to use MORE CPU power, the fan runs louder and gets more frames but it's still not managing to decode in real time. Kodi seems to be making better use of the system's resources but the inefficiency remains. VLC and MPC-HC run LAPS around Kodi when playing the same clip. Meanwhile I transcoded that clip to h.264 since I had no 4K 60fps h.264 content for stress testing. With h.264 Kodi, VLC, and MPC-HC seem to decode roughly in par. I'll whip up an OpenELEC USB as requested and test that out tomorrow.
(2016-06-05, 00:11)DJ_Izumi Wrote: How do I GET the April 1st nightly? This page doesn't seem to go back father than May 14th.

http://mirrors.kodi.tv/nightlies/win32/

No need to run April 1st nightly. That's stone old and not relevant. Nightly from June 4th and later we need to see.
(2016-06-05, 03:20)DJ_Izumi Wrote: I'm posting a log with the most recent binary and using the sample file linked in this thread:

http://pastebin.com/rVSvfWym

Kodi seems to use MORE CPU power, the fan runs louder and gets more frames but it's still not managing to decode in real time. Kodi seems to be making better use of the system's resources but the inefficiency remains. VLC and MPC-HC run LAPS around Kodi when playing the same clip. Meanwhile I transcoded that clip to h.264 since I had no 4K 60fps h.264 content for stress testing. With h.264 Kodi, VLC, and MPC-HC seem to decode roughly in par. I'll whip up an OpenELEC USB as requested and test that out tomorrow.

Quote:21:08:00 T:15076 DEBUG: CDVDVideoCodecFFmpeg - open frame threaded with 16 threads
21:08:00 T:15076 DEBUG: CDVDVideoCodecFFmpeg - Updated codec: ff-hevc

Threading wise it works as we intended it.
(2016-06-05, 08:06)fritsch Wrote:
Quote:21:08:00 T:15076 DEBUG: CDVDVideoCodecFFmpeg - open frame threaded with 16 threads
21:08:00 T:15076 DEBUG: CDVDVideoCodecFFmpeg - Updated codec: ff-hevc

Threading wise it works as we intended it.

Yes, but this isn't really the crux of my post here. I'm asking why Kodi seems to demand much more resources for HEVC decoding. I undersetand that you developers have put a lot of work into Kodi and while I'm only on the outside looking in, it seems that something in Kodi is drastically dragging it down in terms of performance when compared to other software that uses FFMPEG. I had wondered if it was something in rendering, which is why I compared h.264 4K 60FPS clips but those seem to yield equal performance.

I get that 4K really isn't 'here' yet, even where I work in post production, 90% of the films going through our office are still 2K (Sometimes higher than 2K, but more like 2.3K or 2.4K). I also get that most 4K will be 24fps, which would be much more approachable than 60fps. All my quad core machines can do 24fps 4K HEVC in Kodi without any trouble. But still, I think there's a problem in HEVC decoding in Kodi and I hope to have the devs look into it. Be it a 'problem' or something that's just in the nature of how Kodi works with the format. I've seen other threads asking the question before and they never got very far. I hope that the developers feel that it warrents investigation.
We already investigage, but wait for you to test with a recent LibreElec / OpenELEC based on v17. If that works better it's a windows platform issue, which we currently think it is. As windows binary is 32 bit only a whole lot of intrinsics and 64 bit optimized ASM code is not used.
(2016-06-05, 14:07)fritsch Wrote: We already investigage, but wait for you to test with a recent LibreElec / OpenELEC based on v17. If that works better it's a windows platform issue, which we currently think it is. As windows binary is 32 bit only a whole lot of intrinsics and 64 bit optimized ASM code is not used.

I'll test that out later today then. I forgot about that, the other applications I'm using would be 64bit, wouldn't they?
(2016-06-05, 15:07)DJ_Izumi Wrote: I'll test that out later today then. I forgot about that, the other applications I'm using would be 64bit, wouldn't they?

Most likely
I can't seem to actually test OpenELEC. I can't get the beta to start up beyond a black screen with a mouse cursor on any of three Intel Machines I'm testing it on.

Sorry, I wanna provide a log but if it won't start, it won't start.

As, assuming this is due to Windows Kodi being limited to 32bit and I've seen plenty of threads of people asking about 64bit windows builds all being dismissed over the years, if the 32bit Win32 application is the problem, this will continue to be a problem that goes unaddressed?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What is the inefficency in Kodi for HEVC?0