iTunes Library XML to M3U
I got the playlists to work using:

iTunesXMLtoM3U.exe /l "C:\Users\user\Music\iTunes\iTunes Music Library.xml" /o "C:\" /f "file:||localhost|F:" /r "smb:||192.168.11.120|disk1" /c /s

There are two things that I am still struggling with:

1) Every playlist starts with an empty song labeled #EXTM3U

2) I need to copy the playlist to "C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata\playlists\music" and the equivalent folder in my other clients.

Thanks again!
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
I don't use symlinks, nor do I use the folder you mentioned. I simply created a folder 'Playlists' and added that folder to the Kodi library.

#EXTM3U is the way an M3U playlist should begin with. See also the M3U protocol description.

Tags aren't used in this version. Maybe I'll change this in the future.
Thanks, this sounds good. Let me continue trying. Two more questions:

1) Does it not bother you that #EXTM3U shows up as a song in Kodi? Given this is the protocol description, is it fair to say that this is a bug in Kodi and Kodi should omit this info?

2) Just to make sure that I am trying in the right way to replicate the location you mention. When you say "Kodi library", what exactly do you mean? I assume you added one "source", which is "/NAS/Itunes/music" (or similar), from which source Kodi scans all abums to the Kodi music library. And then you added in the same folder a folder called "Playlists", which you then add all the M3U files? So this folder is at the same level as "ABBA" (i.e., all artists)?
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
Any thoughts on above? I have tried (2), but the playlists don't show up? Anyone else any thoughts about playlist location and how to have the playlist display across several clients in "library mode" (@Bram82, are you using "file mode" and just access the playlists folder this way?).
Any thoughts on above? Particularly the #EXTM3U issue.
Would it help if I add a switch to "not put in the #EXTM3U"?
Hi Bram82, This is an awesome and very useful utility. Thanks for sharing it. Appreciate your efforts.
Thank-you to Bram82 for this great utility. I've been looking for something like this for years.
Wink 
(2016-05-27, 18:12)Bram82 Wrote: Hi everybody, please try this version: https://www.dropbox.com/s/visdiexgkvl2kw...U.zip?dl=0

Let me know how this works out.

This is an awesome tool and thanks for sharing.

Can you also please include a option for converting "[" opening bracket and "]" closing brackets? These show up as %5B and %5D respectively in the xml file.

I have files in my playlist that include these characters and there's no option for converting them in the current code.

Thank you .
Steve,

Can you elaborate a little more on what you did with the part of your command below?

/f "file:||localhost|F:" /r "smb:||192.168.11.120|disk1"

What is the command "file:||localhost|F:" doing?

What is disk1? (assuming 192.168.11.120 is the location of your music kodi is scanning)

Thanks
Colin

(2016-06-04, 17:11)steve1977 Wrote: I got the playlists to work using:

iTunesXMLtoM3U.exe /l "C:\Users\user\Music\iTunes\iTunes Music Library.xml" /o "C:\" /f "file:||localhost|F:" /r "smb:||192.168.11.120|disk1" /c /s

There are two things that I am still struggling with:

1) Every playlist starts with an empty song labeled #EXTM3U

2) I need to copy the playlist to "C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata\playlists\music" and the equivalent folder in my other clients.

Thanks again!
Does anyone have the syntax of this command / utility that actually creates a playlist that work on Kodi?
After 2+ years I've made a little update. Sorry for the delay, been a bit busy. Blush

I've just released version 1.1.0, which adds a new switch: /k. This switch makes the playlist "Kodi compatible", and throws the M3U protocol overboard.

Download at http://bit.ly/2GVgTtX

About my setup and how it works for me...
  • All my iTunes data is stored on my NAS named NAS1, in a folder called iTunes: \\NAS1\iTunes
  • On my Kodi machine (an Intel NUC) I've created a folder "iTunes XML to M3U" in the root (C:\iTunes XML to M3U\) which contains my app.
  • The playlists are in the default location. Since the username on my NUC is called "Kodi" the default path for the playlists is: C:\Users\Kodi\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata\playlists\music
  • I use this command to generate the playlist files every night using Windows Task Scheduler:
    "C:\iTunes XML to M3U\iTunesXMLtoM3U.exe" /l "\\NAS1\iTunes\iTunes Library.xml" /o "C:\Users\Kodi\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata\playlists\music\" /f "file:||localhost||NAS1" /r "||NAS1" /c /s /k

Hope this helps a bit.

Have a nice weekend,
Bram
Do you have a working solution for MAC OS X as well? Smile
Nope, not at this moment, sorry. This is a .NET based project. In the future I might use a .NET Core project, which is Mac compatible, but I'm lacking the time at this moment.
Music 
(2016-05-27, 18:12)Bram82 Wrote: Hi everybody, please try this version: https://www.dropbox.com/s/visdiexgkvl2kw...U.zip?dl=0

Let me know how this works out.

Didn't work.  Sad

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
iTunes Library XML to M3U0