• 3(current)
v17 Music Library Improvements - Krypton
Thanks a lot Dave! I always tag files with J River Media Center, but it doesn't show that there are multiple values in the album artist tag. I will look to see if there are options in the program for that and will also use mp3tag to fix the files. Thanks for the tip on the genres. The reason I have been tagging genres like that is to have a "sub genre" in the tag (I don't think that a sub-genre tag exists), like Jazz/Bebop for me the main genre is Jazz, and the sub-genre is Bebop. Do you know of another way to accomplish this?

Again, thanks for your help and today I will test with my full music collection, and let you know how it goes.

Regards,

Bart
A quick look Bart, I suspect the multiple values in album artist is something to do with auto mode in the J River Media Centre see. https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Album_...%28Auto%29

I bet it just shows "(Multiple artists)". It could be creating what is in effect corrupted tagging, but who am I to throw stones at another product Smile

I would suggest you have a look at the tags of all albums that J River Media Centre has as "(multiple artists)". This might be helpful too http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.ph...ic=33255.1

Back to Kodi...

No sub-genre tag, although I can see it would be useful, at least I could certainly use a genre hierarchy. I would probably just use "-" rather than "/" because of also using " / " as a separator. You end up with Jazz-Bebop, Jazz-Funk etc., and I guess could create playlists/custom nodes for genre "startswith" "Jazz-" to get them all. Maybe use mood in some way? I'll have a think.
I used to have a sub genre on TADB but got rid of it as nobody ever set it properly.

I have not tried, but you can nearly accomplish the same thing by creating a node with STYLE and then GENRE underneath it. I'm always happy to add new Genres to the metadata sites if someone lists them.
I have split out the discussion of Musicbrainz Ids that arose from deveng24 test feedback, a separate thread for clariry to http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=278871

This discusses the consequnces of removing or replacing artist names but not changing the mbids (when they are present) and how and when Kodi uses them etc. Happy to continue discussion, just didn't want to clutter this test thread Smile
Dave,
i downloaded june 6 nightly build, cleared my library and re-ran..... some of the issues ive come across so far;

1) dates in the format of 6/12/2016 (sample) show as 6 in year node while 6-12-2016 are ok

2) Artist node Missing albums... artist Journey adds 3 albums out of 25 (i have just recently tagged this artist with MB... and only added the id3 tag for album sort)

3) various artists show 4 nodes of the same name with full albums in one of the 4 nodes.... 1 album split (im sure my tagging prob)

4) ive had to reload kodi...... would not run today and on reinstall im getting "error opining file for writing" so, ill have to uninstall completely and reinstall.

here are my log files and database files if you would like to have a look;
mymusic60
kodi log

br,
troy
Hello,

Sorry I took so long in posting again, real life got in the way of Kodi testing. I scanned my whole collection (162,000 tracks), with the scraper set to Local Information Only, as I wanted to see what would be picked up from my tags without any online lookups. I did leave on the setting about artists which appear in compilations, since I have a lot of multi-artist albums.

The results were very good! All of my albums were picked up, my artist list shows 18,128 artists, which is about right. I am now in the process of fixing incorrectly entered artist names and duplicate artists due to those incorrect names, so when I am done I will remove the source, clean the database, delete the database and start the whole process again.

The only quirks I have found in my limited testing so far are:

1. In the Genre node, I would like to see all albums with that Genre instead of the Artists. I know there's another thread discussing this, I will look there on how to accomplish this, and if it is doable with custom nodes. I really don't want to set up a smart playlist for each one of my genres.

2. The sorting options are not specific to a node or view. For example, in the Artists node, when I select an Artist and view the albums where that artist appears, if I change the sorting to show me the albums in descending order by year, then if I go into the Albums node, that list will also be sorted by year descending (and descending alphabetically too). I would like the sorting/filtering options to be node specific or view specific. I know I can create smart playlists or custom nodes, but it would be nice if this worked with the standard nodes.

This morning I changed the information provider to Universal Album Scraper and Universal Artist Scraper, and I left my laptop running a "Query info for all albums", just to see how many of my albums actually are found and info added to them. I will do the same process with Artists, and let you know also how that goes.

Regards,

Bart
Bart,
thanks for the info about sonos and will look into it. i will say ive hit a limit before with only 36000 songs ( i associated it with the amount of info stored, but it may have been a glich with sonos)

sorry for the message in thread ... i cant reply to messages... think its a new user thing.

question what is your percentage of MBids used on your music collectionHuh

Troy
(2016-06-07, 17:37)deveng24 Wrote: Bart,
thanks for the info about sonos and will look into it. i will say ive hit a limit before with only 36000 songs ( i associated it with the amount of info stored, but it may have been a glich with sonos)

sorry for the message in thread ... i cant reply to messages... think its a new user thing.

question what is your percentage of MBids used on your music collectionHuh

Troy

Troy,

You are welcome.

The percentage is 0, since J River Media Center doesn't use MBids, and that is what I use to tag and manage my collection. I need to continue testing music in Kodi 17 to see if I can view/play my collection to my liking, without having to use any MBids. If I see that there is something I want to do that I can't due to lack of MBids, I will certainly have to consider giving Picard a try.

Regards,

Bart
(2016-06-07, 16:13)deveng24 Wrote: Dave,
i downloaded june 6 nightly build, cleared my library and re-ran..... some of the issues ive come across so far;

1) dates in the format of 6/12/2016 (sample) show as 6 in year node while 6-12-2016 are ok

2) Artist node Missing albums... artist Journey adds 3 albums out of 25 (i have just recently tagged this artist with MB... and only added the id3 tag for album sort)

3) various artists show 4 nodes of the same name with full albums in one of the 4 nodes.... 1 album split (im sure my tagging prob)

4) ive had to reload kodi...... would not run today and on reinstall im getting "error opining file for writing" so, ill have to uninstall completely and reinstall.

mymusic60
kodi log

br,
troy

Update: (item 2) the missing albums are located under the Main album node for Kodi but not under the main artist node under the respective artist (still looking around to see if the albums are in another artist node)

Update 2: (item 2) found the albums under artist Steve Auger (all items are freshly tagged with MB only edit was to id3 tag Album sort artist) only 1 album has a feat of steve Auger (Armageddon: The Album) i have check that the MB artist id is abd506e1-6f2b-4d6f-b937-92c267f6f88b and for Journey and only has a single artist.
Thanks for feedback guys. I am away from home for a day, but will get into your experiences on my return.
Looking through the mymusic60 db.... it looks like the strMusicBrainzArtistID has abd506e1-6f2b-4d6f-b937-92c267f6f88b (steve auger) in the artist table

http://musicbrainz.org/artist/abd506e1-6...8b/details shows artist as journey....

this i think shows the heart of the problem .... some part of the code is not parsing correctly or someone made assumptions about tags (maybe to speed up the code) and applied to a bulk of similar items (just guessing).

I think the the code not parsing is the correct issue (in the MB section).... this would explain why dates , genre, and albums showing in the wrong place. this would also explain why people without MBids Seem to have little issue such as Bart above. this would also explain the random issues people are trying to explain in multiple threads on the music forum.

under the artist table of my DB idartist 1 strartict shows [missing tag] ..... i can not locate the source of this error.... not sure if its a tagging issue or kodi

BR,
Troy
Troy, there is nothing like a good guess... Smile
Form all our discussion my guess would be your inconsistent tag editing has caused confusion. Wink

Please don't guess about what the code does, it is open source so if you have the skills go read it. MusicInfoScanner.cpp, Album.cpp and Song.cpp would be a place to start. Otherwise give me a chance to have a look at your data, something I can't do until later.

You are right in that those without mbid tags, and those that have used Picard and taken the results, are fine, it is people that have automatically added mbid tags and then manually edited tags inconsistently that have issues. The issues are not random, but completely predicable given the way their music files are tagged.

Now it is possible your inconsistent editing has come up with a senario that Kodi could be adjusted to handle. I appreciate your testing, and want to check that out., but equally it may just result in clearer guidelines for those that manually edit tags after tagging with Picard.
(2016-06-07, 17:06)bsoriano Wrote: Hello,

Sorry I took so long in posting again, real life got in the way of Kodi testing. I scanned my whole collection (162,000 tracks), with the scraper set to Local Information Only, as I wanted to see what would be picked up from my tags without any online lookups. I did leave on the setting about artists which appear in compilations, since I have a lot of multi-artist albums.

The results were very good! All of my albums were picked up, my artist list shows 18,128 artists, which is about right. I am now in the process of fixing incorrectly entered artist names and duplicate artists due to those incorrect names, so when I am done I will remove the source, clean the database, delete the database and start the whole process again.

The only quirks I have found in my limited testing so far are:

1. In the Genre node, I would like to see all albums with that Genre instead of the Artists. I know there's another thread discussing this, I will look there on how to accomplish this, and if it is doable with custom nodes. I really don't want to set up a smart playlist for each one of my genres.

2. The sorting options are not specific to a node or view. For example, in the Artists node, when I select an Artist and view the albums where that artist appears, if I change the sorting to show me the albums in descending order by year, then if I go into the Albums node, that list will also be sorted by year descending (and descending alphabetically too). I would like the sorting/filtering options to be node specific or view specific. I know I can create smart playlists or custom nodes, but it would be nice if this worked with the standard nodes.

This morning I changed the information provider to Universal Album Scraper and Universal Artist Scraper, and I left my laptop running a "Query info for all albums", just to see how many of my albums actually are found and info added to them. I will do the same process with Artists, and let you know also how that goes.

Regards,

Bart

Bart thanks for testing out your extensive library - 162,000 tracks and 18,128 artists - phew!

There are issues with traffic and the Musicbrainz server, and some very recent updates to the Universal Scraper (that you may not have picked up), so I don't know how well your marathon scraping session will go. Perhaps report any scraping feedback on a separate thread, where others can pick up on it easier.

As for the feature requests: genre > albums has been mentioned elsewhere, keep a track on that thread.
The sort behaviour is something that was modified for Jarvis, but also has a skin contribution (I think). Start a separate thread about it rather than let it get lost in here.

Cheers Smile
Finally got to your stuff Troy, not lack of interest just lack of time and what I thought would be quick posts turning into long ones.
(2016-06-07, 19:59)deveng24 Wrote: i downloaded june 6 nightly build, cleared my library and re-ran..... some of the issues ive come across so far;

mymusic60
kodi log

Update: (item 2) the missing albums are located under the Main album node for Kodi but not under the main artist node under the respective artist (still looking around to see if the albums are in another artist node)

Update 2: (item 2) found the albums under artist Steve Auger (all items are freshly tagged with MB only edit was to id3 tag Album sort artist) only 1 album has a feat of steve Auger (Armageddon: The Album) i have check that the MB artist id is abd506e1-6f2b-4d6f-b937-92c267f6f88b and for Journey and only has a single artist.

1) date format issue I will come back to later (give me a few days then nudge me again)

4) "error opining file for writing" AFAIK only file written to is the debug log, so could that have been locked by something while looking at it or sending it to me? I hope that the reinstall sort things. The nightlies are changing all the time, not always for the better although that is the intention, so could have been a passing glitch.

2) & 3) Just took a quick peek, what a knotted db.... the 15 "Del A Sol" entries are my personal favorite Huh
Be interesting to see if I can deduce what lead to all that without actually seeing the tagging. Whatever it is, it is happening a lot.

Edit: Well I started at the bottom, something I often do in situations like this...

Troy on the album "The Beginning of ZZ Top" am I correct that you have edited both the ALBUMARTIST and ARTIST tags on all the song files to read "ZZ Top"?

Meanwhile there are MUSICBRAINZ ARTIST ID tags for "American Blues", "Moving Sidewalks" and "Billy Gibbons" on the different songs. These are the artists that Picard would have correctly tagged the the songs with. The first time these mbids are scanned into Kodi it has no way to know that the artist name provided in that file does not go with the mbid. Hence you end up with 4 separate entries called "ZZ Top" and a different mbid each.

I have not dug further, but I suspect you have done this kind of edit many times. Troy there really is nothing Kodi can do if you tag your music files using Picard, adding mbid tags and matching artist names, and then edit the name tags and in so doing make the mbid tags completely invalid. Kodi has to presume that name and mbid when present go together.

Unfortunately unless you remove the mbid tags completely, or tag with both the mbids and artist names that Picard provides together (undoing your edits) Kodi is not going to be able to build a coherent library with your music files.
(2016-06-09, 19:23)DaveBlake Wrote: Finally got to your stuff Troy, not lack of interest just lack of time and what I thought would be quick posts turning into long ones.
(2016-06-07, 19:59)deveng24 Wrote: i downloaded june 6 nightly build, cleared my library and re-ran..... some of the issues ive come across so far;

mymusic60
kodi log

1) date format issue I will come back to later (give me a few days then nudge me again)

4) "error opining file for writing" AFAIK only file written to is the debug log, so could that have been locked by something while looking at it or sending it to me? I hope that the reinstall sort things. The nightlies are changing all the time, not always for the better although that is the intention, so could have been a passing glitch.

2) & 3) Just took a quick peek, what a knotted db.... the 15 "Del A Sol" entries are my personal favorite Huh
Be interesting to see if I can deduce what lead to all that without actually seeing the tagging. Whatever it is, it is happening a lot.

Dave,
a few fyi .....
1) if you see in the DB characters under the artist table, i found characters in the involvedpeople tag... when deleted/modified issues was corrected... did not think artists were coming from that tag.

2) I took my journey folder cleared all of MY tags and used MB picard to tag everything... with no modifications loaded it into kodi, ended up with two journey nodes one with a single album, all other 20 or so in the other node.... MBs tags id3 fields album artist with Journey but artist with Journey, Tron, Journey vs. Rastaliens (the "vs." happens with a few other also), and a Journey vs. Alexampt & Mononegro. i have tried to change the tag to Journey only (no change in the kodi library).

Troy
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Music Library Improvements - Krypton1