• 4(current)
v17 Music Library Improvements - Krypton
Troy we seem to have cross posted, please check my edit of previous post
(2016-06-09, 20:21)deveng24 Wrote: Dave,
a few fyi .....
1) if you see in the DB characters under the artist table, i found characters in the involvedpeople tag... when deleted/modified issues was corrected... did not think artists were coming from that tag.

2) I took my journey folder cleared all of MY tags and used MB picard to tag everything... with no modifications loaded it into kodi, ended up with two journey nodes one with a single album, all other 20 or so in the other node.... MBs tags id3 fields album artist with Journey but artist with Journey, Tron, Journey vs. Rastaliens (the "vs." happens with a few other also), and a Journey vs. Alexampt & Mononegro. i have tried to change the tag to Journey only (no change in the kodi library).

Troy

Yes, one of the enhancements of v17 is the processing of the TMCL and TIPL tags, along with composer and conductor etc. Only listed when you add a roles node and look for them, they do not clutter the artists node, but they are stored in the artist table of the db.

I will look at Journey tomorrow, time for dinner now. But do check out my previous post again.
(2016-06-09, 20:31)DaveBlake Wrote:
(2016-06-09, 20:21)deveng24 Wrote: Dave,
a few fyi .....
1) if you see in the DB characters under the artist table, i found characters in the involvedpeople tag... when deleted/modified issues was corrected... did not think artists were coming from that tag.

2) I took my journey folder cleared all of MY tags and used MB picard to tag everything... with no modifications loaded it into kodi, ended up with two journey nodes one with a single album, all other 20 or so in the other node.... MBs tags id3 fields album artist with Journey but artist with Journey, Tron, Journey vs. Rastaliens (the "vs." happens with a few other also), and a Journey vs. Alexampt & Mononegro. i have tried to change the tag to Journey only (no change in the kodi library).

Troy

Yes, one of the enhancements of v17 is the processing of the TMCL and TIPL tags, along with composer and conductor etc. Only listed when you add a roles node and look for them, they do not clutter the artists node, but they are stored in the artist table of the db.

I will look at Journey tomorrow, time for dinner now. But do check out my previous post again.

thanks for looking at all the stuff im throwing at you.... and i have removed most of the MB tags in my main library so, kodi, organizes them my way i expect them to be grouped. I have not yet updated my month backup library yet so, that i could help where the MB tags are causing problems....
(2016-06-09, 20:45)deveng24 Wrote: thanks for looking at all the stuff im throwing at you.... and i have removed most of the MB tags in my main library so, kodi, organizes them my way i expect them to be grouped. I have not yet updated my month backup library yet so, that i could help where the MB tags are causing problems....

Thank you for testing out v17 Smile
Sorry that much of my response has been in effect to blame your tag editing. I hope that you can understand now that Picard tags with names and mbid in pairs, and Kodi has to use that relationship and can not detect that it has been unexpectedly corrupted by manual edits.

When it comes to identifying artists and albums for online scraping of additional data it is a shame to have removed the mbid tags, the scraper will have to go and query Musicbrainz with just a name and take the first it finds. This is slower, contributes to overwhelming the MB server and gets less accurate results in the many cases where name alone is not unique. But given all the editing you have done, to get other players to work as you want, inadvertently making the mbid tags meaningless, it probably is the simple solution.

In the longer term Kodi with music with mbids, scarping accurately etc. could give you a richly enhanced music experience. So maybe one day you will let Picard tag your music without edits, and allow all the artists to be managed by the library etc. Maybe?
(2016-06-09, 20:21)deveng24 Wrote: 2) I took my journey folder cleared all of MY tags and used MB picard to tag everything... with no modifications loaded it into kodi, ended up with two journey nodes one with a single album, all other 20 or so in the other node.... MBs tags id3 fields album artist with Journey but artist with Journey, Tron, Journey vs. Rastaliens (the "vs." happens with a few other also), and a Journey vs. Alexampt & Mononegro. i have tried to change the tag to Journey only (no change in the kodi library).

Since this is comming from unadulterated Picard tagging let's see what could be tripping up Kodi.

a) With the 2 entries for "Journey" in the artists node, which album is the one on its own?

b) I had not encountered " vs. " in Musicbrainz release artists before. Recent Picard should also be adding an ARTISTS (note the s) tag as a hint what the artist names are that go with the mbid tags. It makes it clear whether "Journey vs. Alexampt & Mononegro" is 1, 2 or 3 artists etc., some artist names have punctuation in them, other times it is just how the album credits were written and there are several individual artist involved. Additionally v17 now has the option of multiple artist separators, so " vs. " could be added as a known separator.

I don't think b) is causing a), but which album are these on so I can check out what Picard is doing?
(2016-06-10, 10:36)DaveBlake Wrote:
(2016-06-09, 20:21)deveng24 Wrote: 2) I took my journey folder cleared all of MY tags and used MB picard to tag everything... with no modifications loaded it into kodi, ended up with two journey nodes one with a single album, all other 20 or so in the other node.... MBs tags id3 fields album artist with Journey but artist with Journey, Tron, Journey vs. Rastaliens (the "vs." happens with a few other also), and a Journey vs. Alexampt & Mononegro. i have tried to change the tag to Journey only (no change in the kodi library).

Since this is comming from unadulterated Picard tagging let's see what could be tripping up Kodi.

a) With the 2 entries for "Journey" in the artists node, which album is the one on its own?

b) I had not encountered " vs. " in Musicbrainz release artists before. Recent Picard should also be adding an ARTISTS (note the s) tag as a hint what the artist names are that go with the mbid tags. It makes it clear whether "Journey vs. Alexampt & Mononegro" is 1, 2 or 3 artists etc., some artist names have punctuation in them, other times it is just how the album credits were written and there are several individual artist involved. Additionally v17 now has the option of multiple artist separators, so " vs. " could be added as a known separator.

I don't think b) is causing a), but which album are these on so I can check out what Picard is doing?

Been following this and I have most if not all of Journey's albums so I did a similar thing - scanned in all my stuff to a Krypton nightly, removed all tags on Journey albums, re-tagged all the albums with Picard and then scanned them into Kodi with debug turned on.

I only get the one artist listed, with all the albums correctly listed under it. I have the debug log of the scan if needed and I can dump my tags for any of the albums that I have if it'll help.

Settings for scan were :-

Tag reading: Enabled
Search for thumbnails on remote shares: enabled

All other settings : disabled
Default providers - Universal artist & album scrapers V3.7.0 & 2.7.0 respectively.

In case @DaveBlake needs the Kodi version I used -

Code:
Kodi (17.0-ALPHA2 Git:2016-05-26-ecda58a). Platform: Linux x86 64-bit
NOTICE: Using Debug Kodi x64 build
NOTICE: Kodi compiled May 26 2016 by GCC 4.8.4 for Linux x86 64-bit version 3.13.11 (199947)
Learning Linux the hard way !!
Dave,

While I can see the benefit of having MBids, in my case, since the software I use to manage my collection doesn't use them, for the time being I will not either. Today I will do a new test, without loading the artists that only appear in compilations. To be sure I understand correctly, does this mean that Kodi, when scanning the music files, will only create artists for those that are tagged as albumartist? Please confirm. If this is the case, then I will probably be able to have nfos, artwork and the like for each one of those, since each is in its own folder in my collection. Thanks.

Regards,

Bart
(2016-06-10, 14:59)bsoriano Wrote: While I can see the benefit of having MBids, in my case, since the software I use to manage my collection doesn't use them, for the time being I will not either. Today I will do a new test, without loading the artists that only appear in compilations. To be sure I understand correctly, does this mean that Kodi, when scanning the music files, will only create artists for those that are tagged as albumartist? Please confirm. If this is the case, then I will probably be able to have nfos, artwork and the like for each one of those, since each is in its own folder in my collection. Thanks.

Bart, not tagging with mbids is absolutely fine, much of my music collection is not tagged this way. But they offer certain benefits if you like to get extra info from the cloud.

The (wrongly named) "Include artists that only appear on comilpiations" option only changes what is shown in the artists node, it does not change what is scanned from the tags. I asked you to test with it enabled so that we could see all of your artists and better access how parsing had performed. So no, there is no need to change this and re-scan, just disable it and see only album artists.

Then scraping from local NFOs. Only album artists can be scraped from NFO files, and then only those where they have have their own folder will all the songs they are credited with beneath it. See http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2352991 for an example. Songs for that artist off in a "various artists" folder will cause the scraper to look in the wrong place. Likewise albums with more than one artist causes difficulties with artist.nfo.

Scraping from local NFOs is a limited feature that needs some reworking.

But thanks for putting your extensive library to the test Smile
Cheers black_eagle for testing out Journey when tagged with Picard, good to know. We will have to hear back from Troy which album got separated, maybe it is a different one you don't have?
(2016-06-10, 10:36)DaveBlake Wrote:

Dave here is an image showing the album in question and its tags;

Tag screenshot

Troy
(2016-06-10, 15:37)DaveBlake Wrote: Cheers black_eagle for testing out Journey when tagged with Picard, good to know. We will have to hear back from Troy which album got separated, maybe it is a different one you don't have?

Quite possibly.

There again, according to my logs, Picard is writing tags to my files that Kodi (even with your much appreciated sterling work) doesn't yet understand....Future-proofing I hope !!

EG

PHP Code:
13:32:44 T:140705563920128   DEBUGDoScan Scanning dir '/media/sde1/Music/Journey/Arrival/' as not in the database
:32:44 T:140705563920128   DEBUGunrecognized ID3 frame detectedTDOR
:32:44 T:140705563920128   DEBUGunrecognized ID3 frame detectedTMED
:32:44 T:140705563920128   DEBUGunrecognized ID3 frame detectedTSO2
:32:44 T:140705563920128   DEBUGunrecognized ID3 frame detectedTSOP
:32:44 T:140705563920128   DEBUGunrecognized user text tag detectedTXXX:SCRIPT
:32:44 T:140705563920128   DEBUGunrecognized user text tag detectedTXXX:originalyear
:32:44 T:140705563920128   DEBUGunrecognized user text tag detectedTXXX:MusicBrainz Album Type
:32:44 T:140705563920128   DEBUGunrecognized user text tag detectedTXXX:BARCODE
:32:44 T:140705563920128   DEBUGunrecognized user text tag detectedTXXX:CATALOGNUMBER
:32:44 T:140705563920128   DEBUGunrecognized user text tag detectedTXXX:MusicBrainz Release Track Id
:32:44 T:140705563920128   DEBUGunrecognized user text tag detectedTXXX:MusicBrainz Work Id
:32:44 T:140705563920128   DEBUGunrecognized user text tag detectedTXXX:Work
:32:44 T:140705563920128   DEBUGunrecognized user text tag detectedTXXX:MusicBrainz Release Group Id
:32:44 T:140705563920128   DEBUGunrecognized user text tag detectedTXXX:Writer
:32:44 T:140705563920128   DEBUGunrecognized user text tag detectedTXXX:ASIN
:32:44 T:140705563920128   DEBUGunrecognized user text tag detectedTXXX:MusicBrainz Album Status
:32:44 T:140705563920128   DEBUGunrecognized user text tag detectedTXXX:MusicBrainz Album Release Country 

Nope, don't have that album lol !!
Learning Linux the hard way !!
(2016-06-10, 15:46)black_eagle Wrote: There again, according to my logs, Picard is writing tags to my files that Kodi (even with your much appreciated sterling work) doesn't yet understand....Future-proofing I hope !!

Yeap, Picard by default will fill your music with a great many tags. Persoanlly I use script settings in Picard to stop it ones I am certain I don't ever want e.g. Barcode, catalog number and ASIN.

Currently working (between forum conversations) on TSOP and TSO2, getting Kodi to sort by sort name. It makes me very happy to see "Mary Black" under "B" etc. Some later version of Kodi I may get "work" to work Smile

I will eventually get around to skipping debug statements for those tags we know exit but that Kodi doesn't process like it does for the other ID3 tags like TBPM
(2016-06-10, 15:46)black_eagle Wrote: Nope, don't have that album lol !!

yeah... well i dont think ive ever listened to that album..lol

anyway, tried another test..... added the "various Artist" album to the mix freshly tagged with MB.....

ended up with 3 artist nodes;
Artist Node 3

Steve Auger has all of the journey albums but the one described above that one is in the journey Node
the various artist has the full compilation in it.

also here is my music DB file for this example;
DB file
(2016-06-10, 16:25)deveng24 Wrote:
(2016-06-10, 15:46)black_eagle Wrote: Nope, don't have that album lol !!

yeah... well i dont think ive ever listened to that album..lol

anyway, tried another test..... added the "various Artist" album to the mix freshly tagged with MB.....

ended up with 3 artist nodes;
Artist Node 3

Steve Auger has all of the journey albums but the one described above that one is in the journey Node
the various artist has the full compilation in it.

also here is my music DB file for this example;
DB file

Ok same test run.... Changed "various Artist" Album directory from Compilations to various Artist....
this time 2 journey nodes like the original example + a various Artist node;
screenshot
DB file
note : no Steve Auger node in the example

Dare i say it seems to be a scraping issue? lol

Troy
Before I chase my tail Troy, doing my party piece of reverse engineering tags from Db result, tell me that you aren't scraping too. "Prefer online info" and "Fetch additional information on update" settings are both disabled, right?
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Music Library Improvements - Krypton1