• 123(current)
[HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes
Good to hear. Does anyone know how the wifi performs on these new M12 metal case boxes?

Sent from my iPhone
(2016-05-24, 23:41)ed_davidson Wrote: Good to hear. Does anyone know how the wifi performs on these new M12 metal case boxes?

Sent from my iPhone

No problem here Ed. The box does have an external antenna and in fact it tends to show a stronger signal strength like for like than my older MyGica ATV1200 and 1220T boxes. Having said that I mainly use my KODI boxes with a wired Ethernet connection I have hard wired from my computer room to an Ethernet switch in the lounge TV cabinet, and from that switch it is patched to the M12 box, my Smart TV, Blue Ray Player and Apple TV 3 box too.

The Apple TV 3 box I brought second hand is used almost exclusively for Netflix, Thailand (my 4 year old Series 7 Samsung Smart TV does not have a Netflix App sadly) , and this is just to give something reasonable back to the Movie / TV industry without feeling ripped off and as a fall back should KODI ever go down, as well as for use on my iPad in bed, which has no KODI app sadly. Netflix is though still way inferior to KODI and lacks all the latest movies and many TV shows as well as live and catchup UK TV and much more too. So note Netflix does NOT replace KODi not even remotely so. Wish there was a pucker Netflix add-on for KODI though as the unofficial ones just do not work without a lot of time consuming massaging which I cannot be bothered with just fro Netflix so lets have a proper official normal subscription based add-on hmm !!.
Cheers
Raymw
I agree with you Ray. Thanks for the info.

Sent from my iPhone
List of discovered bugs with EmbER 4 s805 nightly build.

Thought I would start a list of the minor bugs I have so far found with EmbER 4 nightly build for the M12 S805 box. Please make sure you are fully aware that this S805 build is ONLY for the metal cased MXQ M12 box so please only add any discovered bugs to this list if you are using that particular box for which the build is exclusively intended.

Here is my list of bugs to date of which I am sure Josh already knows about.

1. Small size flash EmbER logo screens both the passive and active ones at boot up.

2. When updating to new EmbER firmware the existing user settings are retained EXCEPT the time zone which reverts to USA New York time and thus needs manually resetting.

3. Over sensitive repeat function with remote. This may be a hardware problem with the remote though rather than in the firmware. Not a deal breaker as you soon get used to it.

4. When box is in Suspend mode the system clock loses a lot of time which can be over an hour a day!! It stays correct if you leave the box fully on even though idle. A full reboot of course resets the clock correctly.

5. With any laggy internet connection to the USA the date/time initial setting at boot up can fail to access the US ntp servers, thus leaving you with a 1970 default Linux date. There is a simple fix for this already (see back in this thread) for those few of us who are affected by it, as we are currently in SE Asia due to a long standing subterranean cable outage.

6. Often with the EmbER excellent backup utility you cannot get a list of existing backups to restore from if using the SD card for saving backups to. A system reboot fixes this. Never a problem backing up to the SD card though.

As I mentioned these are all very minor bugs, many with easy work arounds, but please feel free to add to this list if you have any more. Other that that the latest EmbER 4 nightly build for S805 is very stable indeed and runs very well with good snappy operations and navigation too.

For those running M6 dual core boxes then please c.an someone start another list for any bugs they discover with the new EmbER 4 nightly builds for the various M6 boxes. Currently I have not got a working M6 box to test with and now using my available time to work with the new S805 M12 quad core box as i believe this is the way forward right now though the M6 boxes are still perfectly serviceable of course.
Cheers
Raymw
Many would have seen the reports of a minor bug when booting an MXQ M12 S805 box to EmbER where the boot up two logo screens appear very small rather than full screen, in fact a 720 res frame on a full 1080 display. Well this is easily avoided by firstly changing the display setting in Android to a 720 res mode before first flashing to EmbER.

It is anyway always best to first check your new box is working properly with it's default Android firmware, so let your new box boot fully into the Android opening screen. Then from the menus options select Settings and then Display. Turn off the auto HD detect option and set the resolution to 720p mode and ensure all is working well when you return to your Android home screen. Now you can power off and flash the latest EmbER firmware in the normal way. Once complete you will enjoy the full screen opening two EmbER logo screens and for the latest Nightly you will also see the very nice new animated logo screen too

I discovered this little trick thanks to Cory mentioning this small boot logo display problem was not an EmbER bug but due to the default screen res inherited from the default Android firmware. So tried the above method with one of my new stock of MXQ M12 metal cased boxes with EMbER V3.0.1 and then updated it to the latest Ember 4 Nightly build for these S805 M12 boxes, and voila problem solved.

With the full public release of EmbER 4 due any moment now, the above tip will be very useful for many of you who have been waiting for this latest S805 EmbER release to flash to your new MXQ M12 boxes. But this MUST be carried out prior to flashing of course as so far there is no way I have yet found to go back to default Android just yet, though I am looking for a default Android build for these boxes to supply to Josh who will then compile, check and release a suitable revert image for EmbER back to Android on the S805 boxes. So does anyone here have a link for such a default Android S805 build for these M12 boxes ??
Cheers
Raymw
Thanks for the heads up about the disabling the HD-autodetect in Android. I've just purchased one of these boxes and it would have been extremely irritating to find I'd got a small booting screen. It all works very well (especially as version 4.0.0 of Ember appeared earlier today) so everything seems to be up and running as it should...
(2016-06-06, 00:19)retsibsi Wrote: Thanks for the heads up about the disabling the HD-autodetect in Android. I've just purchased one of these boxes and it would have been extremely irritating to find I'd got a small booting screen. It all works very well (especially as version 4.0.0 of Ember appeared earlier today) so everything seems to be up and running as it should...

You are most welcome and glad it all went well.

As you can see the new full release of EmbER 4 is now available for the dual core M6 boxes G02Ref and G18Ref as well as the S805 M12 quad core boxes too. Please note that there are no free public versions for the time being and may be some time before there is . EmbER V4.0.0 has the latest KODI Jarvis V16.1 and so far runs very nicely and seems to be very stable too.

So for those who do not already have EmbER installed on their boxes, to get the latest EmbER 4.0.0 installed with KODI Jarvis 16.1, then you need to first download and install the appropriate version for your box of the public EmbER V3.0.1 build, and then on the EmbER Downloads page donate at least the required amount to register your version ( >US$10 for M6 boxes and >US$25 for the S805 quad core M12 box) and then activate your EmbER firmware to upgrade to the full Donor Edition. Your box will be able to auto update OTA to V4,0.0, provided you enable the Auto Update feature in EmbER Settings first of course. You can also in EmbER settings easily manually update the firmware too..

IMPORTANT for those with MyGica ATV1200 and 1220 G02Ref boxes, then before installing EmbER over the default Android firmware, you MUST first install an earlier MX Linux KODI 14 build, available from the front page of this thread. Only then can you safely install EmbER firmware without bricking your box. This as I understand it is a problem with the factory configuration of these MyGica boxes and not an EmbER bug, though this may have a work around eventually with a public V4 release sometime in the future.

Note also that if you have been running one of the V4 nightly builds then you will have to manually install the new full release V4.0.0 update as the system will see your V4 nightly build as already running EmbER V4 and then report that there are no updates available. So to get around that simply go to the Manually upgrade/downgrade option and there you will see the full V4.0.0 available for OTA download and installation.

I have now tested this V4.0.0 full firmware update on a G02Ref ATV1220T box and on my S805 based MXQ M12 metal cased box, and both so far are running very well indeed with no problems with the OTA update either, well other than the manual update install needed for those currently running a V4 nightly build as mentioned above.

Well done to Josh and Cory at EmbER for yet another milestone EmbER Linux KODI build, great job and much appreciated by all here I am sure.
Cheers
Raymw
Josh has now made available a good working revert to Android file set on the EmbER downloads page for the MXQ M12 metal cased box. Before some of you may have noticed it was the old M6 box Android revert files at this download location.

So for those with the small EmbER boot logo display problem then you can now back up your EmbER settings first on your M12 box, use this newly uploaded revert to Android set of files as per the readme.txt file, and once their box is back in the original Android firmware they can then set the display mode to 720p as per my earlier posting above, and reinstall EmbER with the proper full screen boot logo displays. Finally restore their new EmbER backup to have their box back as it was.
Cheers
Raymw
(2016-03-01, 06:40)cfox Wrote: Hi themightylc,

This exact thing just happened to me. any update? what did you end up doing with your 520e box?

(2015-11-22, 14:44)themightylc Wrote: Hello. I, proud owner of the donator edition, have a few Problems with my ATV520e with Ember 2.0.2 installed.
  • upon start i get a "script failed: system settings" error
  • I cannot call EMBER settings - same error
  • I have no network connection to the box (via ethernet) whatsoever
  • i can neither update/downgrade to another linux version or revert to android. Holding the reset button at the bottom of the box just boots up ember every time.

Any help on ANY of the problems would be highly appreciated. I cannot use the box at all at the moment, I need network access - don't care if it's on EMBER or any other system.

EDIT:
This is the error i think is related to the problem (first error in log). without network access it is extremely cumbersome to check the logs though.... so i don't think I'll be able to post much more... Sad

19:22:46 T:1195144224 ERROR: EXCEPTION Thrown (PythonToCppException) : -->Python callback/script returned the following error<--
- NOTE: IGNORING THIS CAN LEAD TO MEMORY LEAKS!
Error Type: <type 'exceptions.IOError'>
Error Contents: (19, 'No such device')
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/share/kodi/addons/script.system.settings/service.py", line 4, in <module>
from resources.lib import onrun
File "/usr/share/kodi/addons/script.system.settings/resources/lib/onrun.py", line 6, in <module>
from resources.lib.update import rsspyota
File "/root/.kodi/addons/script.system.settings/resources/lib/update/rsspyota.py", line 66, in <module>
File "/root/.kodi/addons/script.system.settings/resources/lib/update/rsspyota.py", line 50, in getserial
File "/root/.kodi/addons/script.system.settings/resources/lib/update/rsspyota.py", line 36, in getHwAddr
IOError: (19, 'No such device')
-->End of Python script error report<--

Hi!.
Same problem here with Ember 3.0.1 in a EM-6 Generic Box (g18ref - mx2).
In the installation, eth0 was not detected (I edited manually /etc/network/interfaces to add eth0 dhcp line), and not wifi adapter at all (i think the problem is related to Broadcom wifi drivers).
But magically the problem was solved, plugin a wifi usb dongle!!! I connect to the box a belkin n300 wifi dongle and I can enter the system settings with no problem. Everything in the menu works (backup, plugin installation, entering serial for donor edition, etc)
I upgraded the box to 4.0 donor ember edition without problem, but the script problem still remains. If I unplug the wifi dongle, the system setting script doesn't work (problem related above). If I plug it, it works.
I think the problem is a bug in the system settings script related with wifi detection.
Thanks a lot. Ember works great!
Best regards.
Just a quick note to say I'm impressed with EmbER 4, running on a MXQ M12 box. I'm running it on wifi and I'm really impressed with how well it's working on the wifi. All my other boxes had problems on the wifi.

Sent from my iPhone
(2016-06-09, 09:39)elogi Wrote:
(2016-03-01, 06:40)cfox Wrote: Hi themightylc,

This exact thing just happened to me. any update? what did you end up doing with your 520e box?

(2015-11-22, 14:44)themightylc Wrote: Hello. I, proud owner of the donator edition, have a few Problems with my ATV520e with Ember 2.0.2 installed.
  • upon start i get a "script failed: system settings" error
  • I cannot call EMBER settings - same error
  • I have no network connection to the box (via ethernet) whatsoever
  • i can neither update/downgrade to another linux version or revert to android. Holding the reset button at the bottom of the box just boots up ember every time.

Any help on ANY of the problems would be highly appreciated. I cannot use the box at all at the moment, I need network access - don't care if it's on EMBER or any other system.

EDIT:
This is the error i think is related to the problem (first error in log). without network access it is extremely cumbersome to check the logs though.... so i don't think I'll be able to post much more... Sad

19:22:46 T:1195144224 ERROR: EXCEPTION Thrown (PythonToCppException) : -->Python callback/script returned the following error<--
- NOTE: IGNORING THIS CAN LEAD TO MEMORY LEAKS!
Error Type: <type 'exceptions.IOError'>
Error Contents: (19, 'No such device')
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/share/kodi/addons/script.system.settings/service.py", line 4, in <module>
from resources.lib import onrun
File "/usr/share/kodi/addons/script.system.settings/resources/lib/onrun.py", line 6, in <module>
from resources.lib.update import rsspyota
File "/root/.kodi/addons/script.system.settings/resources/lib/update/rsspyota.py", line 66, in <module>
File "/root/.kodi/addons/script.system.settings/resources/lib/update/rsspyota.py", line 50, in getserial
File "/root/.kodi/addons/script.system.settings/resources/lib/update/rsspyota.py", line 36, in getHwAddr
IOError: (19, 'No such device')
-->End of Python script error report<--

Hi!.
Same problem here with Ember 3.0.1 in a EM-6 Generic Box (g18ref - mx2).
In the installation, eth0 was not detected (I edited manually /etc/network/interfaces to add eth0 dhcp line), and not wifi adapter at all (i think the problem is related to Broadcom wifi drivers).
But magically the problem was solved, plugin a wifi usb dongle!!! I connect to the box a belkin n300 wifi dongle and I can enter the system settings with no problem. Everything in the menu works (backup, plugin installation, entering serial for donor edition, etc)
I upgraded the box to 4.0 donor ember edition without problem, but the script problem still remains. If I unplug the wifi dongle, the system setting script doesn't work (problem related above). If I plug it, it works.
I think the problem is a bug in the system settings script related with wifi detection.
Thanks a lot. Ember works great!
Best regards.

I do know direct from Josh that EmbER needs to see an available WiFi device by design and apparently for good reason, or else you will get the EmbER Settings script error. This is why they removed the EMbER builds marked specifically for the ATV520 boxes with the incompatible Broadcom WiFi in them for which there is no drivers available for use with EmbER..

That is a great tip though to use a WiFi USB dongle as if at boot up it can see a usable and configurable WiFi then in theory this should work and overcome the EmbER Settings script error. Will try that when I get hold of a cheap WiFi dongle maybe later today. If so this makes EmbER upgrades to ATV520 boxes viable and will be good for EmbER Developments too of course. Will try it and report back here, but will get Josh,s view on this first as there may still be other problems with these ATV520 boxes and EmbER firmware though with a usable WiFi available from a plugged in WiFi dongle, then I think this should be fine with the same ATV1200/1220 G02Ref EmbER builds.
Cheers
Raymw
Well, having run my new MXQ M12 box on Ember for some days now I'm very happy with it. No glitches, straightforward playback without issues. There is one thing though (isn't there always?) I've just noticed, while the box has integral Bluetooth there don't seem to be any settings to enable it. Have I missed something obvious or has it simply not been included in Ember (v4.0)?
Hi all.
Using Ember 4.0 on M12 box. Twice now on boot I've had it hang at the KODI logo after the Jarvis screen. It will do this every time I reboot. The only thing I've found that works is to hold the reset button in and get to TV EmbER boot screen and pick reboot.
I'm not sure if it's a skin issue or an EmbER issue. I'm using the xonfluence skin.
Anyone else had this issue?

Sent from my iPhone
Because this thread is written for Geniatech device, I've created a new thread here 279468 (thread).
Obviously we have recently expanded hardware support for the newer Amlogic M8 devices. So this new thread is for providing support for all those devices but is specific to the EmbER firmware.

If you have any bug reports or need help with anything, or you have a great idea of a new feature that you would like to see added to the OS, please post it there.

Thanks
(2016-06-13, 08:19)Josh.5 Wrote: Because this thread is written for Geniatech device, I've created a new thread here 279468 (thread).
Obviously we have recently expanded hardware support for the newer Amlogic M8 devices. So this new thread is for providing support for all those devices but is specific to the EmbER firmware.

If you have any bug reports or need help with anything, or you have a great idea of a new feature that you would like to see added to the OS, please post it there.

Thanks

Sorry Josh.5 i just saw you created a new Thread after i changed this one.
Press THANK USER if I Help
  • 123(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes5