Proposal for solution to properly handle audio while watching slideshow
Dear all,

First of all, I wanted to congratulate everyone that has been contributing to Kodi for doing such an excellent job. I am only new to Kodi, but can appreciate the many hours of hard work that people have been putting into this very successful project.

As a new user, I came across an issue with the slideshow: while listening to music and watching a slideshow of a mix of photos and videos, I found that after the slideshow plays the first video, the slideshow pauses until the current music playlist has finished.

Full details can be found via the link below, in the "Picture" forum:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=280141

I am not a programmer, but I spent some time to work out what the logic should be in order to make the slideshow work according to expected behaviour (keep reading for what I believe "expected behaviour" is). It would be great if this could be validated by someone. It would be fantastic if this could be implemented.

First of all, a new option would need to be implemented that determines how audio for videos is handled inside the slideshow. The option should basically be a true/false value for an option called something like: "Enable sound of videos in slideshow?"

The reason for having this option is that at times I may not want to hear the audio of these videos at all. For example: I am having a party, people are dancing to the music, but I just want to show my holiday photo's/videos to someone. In that case, I would not want the music to be interrupted by my videos. Therefore, I should set the option to "false".

The opposite example is that I want to have a look at a photo/video slideshow, while listening to some background music. In this case I want the audio of the video files to take preference. In this case I set the option to "true".

Below is my "pseudo" code of what I believe the logic to implement this should be:

Code:
Create list of items that are part of the slideshow (this could be: "pictures", "pictures & videos" or "videos only").
Picture slideshow starts.
IF upcoming item is video which contains audio channel(s) AND option is set to TRUE AND other audio is playing:
  Just before displaying video, 1 second fade-out of other audio.
  Pause current other audio stream.
  Display video, along with the audio that belong to the video.
  WHILE upcoming item is video which contains audio channel(s):
    Display video, along with its audio.
  LOOP
  1 second fade-in of the original other audio.
  Continue playing of the original other audio.
ELSE
  IF upcoming item is video which contains audio channel(s) AND option is set to FALSE AND other audio is playing:
    Display video, without its audio.
  ELSE
    Display the item as per normal (normal for videos is to have sound).
  END
END

Please note that in my "pseudo" code, I am talking about "other audio". I did this purposely, as the audio can obviously come from a different source than just a music playlist.

I have no idea of the difficulty of implementing this or even if there is enough community support for such a feature.

If you made it this far reading my post: thank you.

Marc.
I'm not a programmer, but what you said seems to make sense. From what I understand, the music overriding video audio might be tricky, but the idea is very nice.
Hi Ned,

(2016-06-29, 02:50)Ned Scott Wrote: I'm not a programmer, but what you said seems to make sense. From what I understand, the music overriding video audio might be tricky, but the idea is very nice.

Thanks for your reply. Apologies for my late reply. I guess the music overriding thing should be possible, because it already happens when a video (that's part of the slide show) starts playing. At that stage, the audio (background music from the music library in my case of limited testing) will be overridden.

Judging from the number of posts on the forum, I guess there is little focus/demand for the picture module of Kodi.

Marc.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Proposal for solution to properly handle audio while watching slideshow1