Linux Back-up Fan Art and Artist Information
I think I might be missing something. I am running Linux Mint 18 64 bit with Kodi 16.1 (Git:c327c53). I have looked for this, and I have not found it. My HTPC crashed the other day, and I have just finished scanning in and adding all of my artist information and adding fan art / thumbnails where needed. Is there a way to back all of this information up so I do not have to repeat this lengthy process? If there is, how do I restore from back-up on a fresh install?

Yes, all my artists have their own nfo files, but the scraping feature seems to catch only about 3/4 of them. For the remainder, I have to manually tell Kodi to refresh the information. What is odd, even with the nfo files, is it will scrape say the Bloodhound Gang properly, but it will not scrape The Beatles unless I do it manually. It is this manual stuff that takes a long time. Thank you for your help with this question.
And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music. - Friedrich Nietzsche
http://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:XBMC_Backup
TBH the import/export backup aspects of the music library could do with some work. Fundamentally if you have all the information in NFO files, and a copy of MyMusicXX.db you sould be able to recover.

(2016-07-04, 08:23)linesma Wrote: Yes, all my artists have their own nfo files, but the scraping feature seems to catch only about 3/4 of them. For the remainder, I have to manually tell Kodi to refresh the information. What is odd, even with the nfo files, is it will scrape say the Bloodhound Gang properly, but it will not scrape The Beatles unless I do it manually. It is this manual stuff that takes a long time. Thank you for your help with this question.

And there are issues with how artist NFO work. Most is related to the simplistic way that Kodi decides where to look for the artist NFO file, that I have discussed that at length in other threads. I am guessing that has something to do with the 25% that don't scrape. Albums with multiple artists, non-album artists, and artists with albums but also feature on songs on other albums... these all cause problems - any thing where all the songs for an artist are not under a unique folder.

With luck Scott will come along and tell you what he does with import/export
(2016-07-04, 09:34)SeVreN2013 Wrote: http://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:XBMC_Backup

Thank you, I will have to check that add-on out.

(2016-07-04, 10:12)DaveBlake Wrote: TBH the import/export backup aspects of the music library could do with some work. Fundamentally if you have all the information in NFO files, and a copy of MyMusicXX.db you sould be able to recover.

(2016-07-04, 08:23)linesma Wrote: Yes, all my artists have their own nfo files, but the scraping feature seems to catch only about 3/4 of them. For the remainder, I have to manually tell Kodi to refresh the information. What is odd, even with the nfo files, is it will scrape say the Bloodhound Gang properly, but it will not scrape The Beatles unless I do it manually. It is this manual stuff that takes a long time. Thank you for your help with this question.

And there are issues with how artist NFO work. Most is related to the simplistic way that Kodi decides where to look for the artist NFO file, that I have discussed that at length in other threads. I am guessing that has something to do with the 25% that don't scrape. Albums with multiple artists, non-album artists, and artists with albums but also feature on songs on other albums... these all cause problems - any thing where all the songs for an artist are not under a unique folder.

With luck Scott will come along and tell you what he does with import/export

Thank you for your response. Since I started using Kodi (XBMC) in 2007, the music library and the music video library always felt like the least developed side of Kodi. This scraping issue has been around since then. The only difference between now and then is that my music library has gotten larger. Having a reliable solution to back-up or export the "metedata", I am not sure of the correct term, would make the decision to upgrade from Kodi x to Kodi y a lot easier. I am also interested in what Scott will say.

My nfo files for artists that can be found on Musicbrainz is just a url. For artists not on Musicbrainz, I do the following:

Code:
<artist>
  <name>Lula</name>
  <genre>Thai Pop</genre>
  <born>1981</born>
  <biography>Lula, ลุลา  in Thai, is a popular Thai singer known for her breathy voice.</biography>
</artist>

Thank you again for your time.
And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Back-up Fan Art and Artist Information0