• 125(current)
[HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes
Sad 
Hello,

I'm new in the forum and excuse me for my poor english.

My device is a MyGica ATV1200 with the new remote control.
I don't remember wich EmbER's firmware version installed successfully. Only know that version works with Kodi 14.2, but remote control doesn't work...

So I have decided to return to Android but have problems: I have try with return package from EmbER's (G02REF/EXTRACTME_STVMX_05022014_Android_Revert.zip) and also with MyGica's package (Mygica-MX_Android_20131214_Manual.rar), but I'm not had successful. When I insert the SDCard and push the reset button, device seems to omit the SDCard content and run EmbER normally.

how I can return to Android?
Thanks to all for your help.

Best regards.
The easiest way to get ember working on your device is to copy the correct remote.conf file to the etc/.kodi folder. Someone else on here can give you the file and instructions on where to put it. Ember is far superior to Android.

Sent from my iPhone
You can plug a keyboard in until you can get the remote file.

Sent from my iPhone
I plugged a wireless keyboard and mouse and does not work.

Enviado desde mi Aquaris M5 mediante Tapatalk
I know a mouse will not work but you don't need it.

Sent from my iPhone
Hi vtecatalan. The ATV1200 is an excellent box and works brilliantly with the latest EmbER Linux firmware. So I strongly suggest you do not return to sluggish Android bloatware.as it is way inferior IMHO.

You should download and install EmbER V3.0.1 the last public version available and thsi will give you KODI 15.2 Isengard. I hope you did not install EmbER V1 as that can cause you problems as is very buggy being the very first edition published. So if you have EmbER v2 upwards you should be okay. Best bet is to upgrade it to Ember V3.0.1 then register ut for a very low US$10 and update to the full EmbER V4 Donor Edition with KODI 16.1 Jarvis.

Two things. To get your mouse working (I strongly recommend the Logitec K400r wireless keyboard with a built in mousepad and Microsoft have a very similar design one too) .you have to make sure you enable the option in the System|Settings|system|Input Devices and in that screen. The option you need to enable there is the Mouse and Touch Screen support option. That should work.

For your remote to properly work (assuming it is one of the normal as supplied ATV1200 or ATV1220 remotes) then you should add the correct remote.conf file using File Manager to the root//Configs/kodi directory. You can download a suitable remote.conf file form my Dropbox public folder here :- https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17319514/remote.zip The small file you will download is zipped for good reason so just unzip it and you will have the relevant remote.conf file you need to copy to your box root//Configs/kodi folder. You may find that you cannot see the required system folders in File Manager so you must first ensure that you go to System|Settings|Appearance|File Lists and make sure all 6 options are enabled. .

Carry out a full cold reboot after making the above changes as until then the changes will not commit, and then hopefully all will be working fine.

Obviously I have to repeat the usual caveat that you carry out all the above procedures entirely at your own risk of course.
Cheers
Raymw
Hello raymw,

First, thank you for your help.

I have tried to update to the version 3.0.1 but without success.
I followthe steps that are described in readme file (help), but the device doesn't seem to notice of the content of the SDcard and starting normal boot.

Not which is the motive of this behavior.
Then you probably have a corrupt memory allocation somewhere. Usually you can tell if you look at System|System Information in the Storage section you will note that half of your system cache storage has likely been used up (usually about 100MB - 120MB) and you are not able to get into recovery mode to clear it. Best to start afresh with these sort of probelms, by clearing your box and you can do that by following my How to Unbrick your ATV1200/1220 box post above and on Page 1 of this thread. But from my experience with similar corrupt boxes that would not go into recovery mode or read an SD card with new firmware on, then you may not have to open you case and short any pins but just make the SD boot card exactly as detailed and then use that in your box with the reset button held in 10-15 secs as you power up as normal. That should I reckon get you into recovery mode.

Once in recovery mode than carry out the full factory reset option and also the Cache wipe option too. You can then power down teh box and install EmbER V3.0.1 from an SD card in the usual way and it should work for you and take you to your EmbER normal boot up. Once all is working then you really should register with EmbER and get an activation code. Carry out the activation procedure and you will be able to update to EmbER 4.0.0 which I think you will find the remote should then be working. Still recommend using the remote.conf file you can download form my Dropbox as mentioned above. This works well and also usefully with all the remote number buttons then working for any numeric input you need to make, that may not be the case with the default remote.conf with EmbER 4 though not 100% certain of that..

If you still cannot get your remote working then it is probably faulty or batteries falt or not correctly installed. If you are still stuck post a picture of your remote here so we know which one you are using. There were I believe only two standard type remotes ever issued for the ATV1200

Hope that helps you vtecatalan.
Cheers
Raymw
Hi, I have 2 Sumvision X2 boxes which I wanted to try Kodi Linux on. I tried updating the first to Ember 3.01 which resulted in a brick. I have tried to unbrick using the guide on the previous page with absolutely no luck so far. Firstly is it possible that trying to install Ember could have bricked the box to a state beyond the unbricking method ?
On the second box I have installed the Helix 14.2 image which used to be on the first page of this thread. This installed perfectly. My understanding is that I could now install Ember on this box with little chance of bricking ? If this is the case I'm wondering if the first page of this thread should still have a link to the Helix 14.2 files and advise people to install that first before Ember if they have a 1200 box (rather than relying on an unbricking method that may not work)
The unbricking method looks straightforward and I was a bit surprised when after numerous attempts it still hasn't worked for me.
Thanks for the guides and efforts anyway.
(2016-07-08, 12:42)meva Wrote: Hi, I have 2 Sumvision X2 boxes which I wanted to try Kodi Linux on. I tried updating the first to Ember 3.01 which resulted in a brick. I have tried to unbrick using the guide on the previous page with absolutely no luck so far. Firstly is it possible that trying to install Ember could have bricked the box to a state beyond the unbricking method ?
On the second box I have installed the Helix 14.2 image which used to be on the first page of this thread. This installed perfectly. My understanding is that I could now install Ember on this box with little chance of bricking ? If this is the case I'm wondering if the first page of this thread should still have a link to the Helix 14.2 files and advise people to install that first before Ember if they have a 1200 box (rather than relying on an unbricking method that may not work)
The unbricking method looks straightforward and I was a bit surprised when after numerous attempts it still hasn't worked for me.

Hi Meva.

Well first as you discovered it is imperative with an ATV1200 or 1220 to first install normal MX Linux KODI 14.x first of all and then you can safely install EmbER V3.0.1 public version. Yes I agree it would be a good idea to keep a link to this MX Linux image on the Page 1 of this thread list, so Auxbox any chance of doing that please mate ??

Now as to the bricking, which sounds like a pretty much standard bricking, I assume the front panel red indicator light does come on and stay on okay. What you have done is given yourself probably the most common bricking situation in trying to install EmbER V3.0.1 on top of a virgin Android ATV1200/1220 box. I have to say this is the first time I have heard of this recently posted unbricking method not working and indeed I have tested it on 5 similarly bricked ATV1200 (one a badged Sumvision Cyclone X2) and 1220 boxes and it worked first time and every time and had several other good reports too from others. So we need to find out why it failed to unbrick your Sumvision Cyclone X2 (ATV1200) box.

Firstly did you initially carefully prepare the SD card with the special formatting utility as this is a very important step as it writes an appropriate uboot file to a special boot partition on the SD card. Without that it will not unbrick. Also ensure that your SD card has not had the write protect lock slider accidentally applied as that will stop it working too (I have done this myself several times over the years). Obviously it would have been write enabled initially else you could not have prepped the SD card. I also have to assume you used exactly the same files as per the instructions when writing to the SD card from your PC. What size was your SD card ? I have heard problems with flashing images to these boxes with the larger capacity cards, so normally I suggest sticking with the currently ready available 4 or 8 GB cards.

Secondly another typical reason for it not working is that you may not have actually shorted the two pins 6, and 7 as shown on the picture file. Sometimes these pins may have an insulating coating over them so with the box powered off carefully ensure that any coating is gently scraped off those pins before trying another unbrick routine. Also ensure that you are also fully holding in the reset button at the back of the box when you power up and hold that reset button in until you see the screen pop into life hopefully into the recovery mode screen. There is no harm in holding that reset button in for more than the usual 10-15 seconds. Shorting the pins need only be held in place for 5 to 10 seconds at the most after power on, and indeed i find just 5 seconds normally works fine.

Okay there are a few things for you to try, but please come back and let me know how you get on. If it does not work first time then try again a few times more, paying particular attention to the shorting of those two pins for 5 to 10 seconds after power up, and also ensuring that the reset button is indeed held fully in at power up too and held in until you see a screen display. Your screen may well remain blank for as long as 2 minutes though usually less than a minute in my experience and you should see some activity with the front panel lights before you see a screen display and usually the red light flashes to green too on that box and that is a good sign that it is now booting up. Good luck with it and I wait to hear back from you hopefully with a big smile.
Cheers
Raymw
(2016-07-08, 14:12)raymw Wrote:
(2016-07-08, 12:42)meva Wrote: Hi, I have 2 Sumvision X2 boxes which I wanted to try Kodi Linux on. I tried updating the first to Ember 3.01 which resulted in a brick. I have tried to unbrick using the guide on the previous page with absolutely no luck so far. Firstly is it possible that trying to install Ember could have bricked the box to a state beyond the unbricking method ?

Hi Meva.

Well first as you discovered it is imperative with an ATV1200 or 1220 to first install normal MX Linux KODI 14.x first of all and then you can safely install EmbER V3.0.1 public version. Yes I agree it would be a good idea to keep a link to this MX Linux image on the Page 1 of this thread list, so Auxbox any chance of doing that please mate ??

Now as to the bricking, which sounds like a pretty much standard bricking, I assume the front panel red indicator light does come on and stay on okay. What you have done is given yourself probably the most common bricking situation in trying to install EmbER V3.0.1 on top of a virgin Android ATV1200/1220 box. I have to say this is the first time I have heard of this recently posted unbricking method not working and indeed I have tested it on 5 similarly bricked ATV1200 (one a badged Sumvision Cyclone X2) and 1220 boxes and it worked first time and every time and had several other good reports too from others. So we need to find out why it failed to unbrick your Sumvision Cyclone X2 (ATV1200) box.

Firstly did you initially carefully prepare the SD card with the special formatting utility as this is a very important step as it writes an appropriate uboot file to a special boot partition on the SD card. Without that it will not unbrick. Also ensure that your SD card has not had the write protect lock slider accidentally applied as that will stop it working too (I have done this myself several times over the years). Obviously it would have been write enabled initially else you could not have prepped the SD card. I also have to assume you used exactly the same files as per the instructions when writing to the SD card from your PC. What size was your SD card ? I have heard problems with flashing images to these boxes with the larger capacity cards, so normally I suggest sticking with the currently ready available 4 or 8 GB cards.

Secondly another typical reason for it not working is that you may not have actually shorted the two pins 6, and 7 as shown on the picture file. Sometimes these pins may have an insulating coating over them so with the box powered off carefully ensure that any coating is gently scraped off those pins before trying another unbrick routine. Also ensure that you are also fully holding in the reset button at the back of the box when you power up and hold that reset button in until you see the screen pop into life hopefully into the recovery mode screen. There is no harm in holding that reset button in for more than the usual 10-15 seconds. Shorting the pins need only be held in place for 5 to 10 seconds at the most after power on, and indeed i find just 5 seconds normally works fine.

Okay there are a few things for you to try, but please come back and let me know how you get on. If it does not work first time then try again a few times more, paying particular attention to the shorting of those two pins for 5 to 10 seconds after power up, and also ensuring that the reset button is indeed held fully in at power up too and held in until you see a screen display. Your screen may well remain blank for as long as 2 minutes though usually less than a minute in my experience and you should see some activity with the front panel lights before you see a screen display and usually the red light flashes to green too on that box and that is a good sign that it is now booting up. Good luck with it and I wait to hear back from you hopefully with a big smile.

Hi raymw, I tried with a 32gb microsd and then an 8gb microsd. I'll have another go at the weekend with an 8gb sd, I tried scraping the pins but may have been a bit too gentle. Also it seems a classic brick, the red light is on but nothing happens. I really want it to work for me as the process seems so simple.
Thanks again.
hi raymw - attempting to unbrick my 1200 and have been following your guide and downloaded your links.
in step B you say to copy across the 5 files from File 2 to the sd card but i see only 4 plus the read me, there is no update zip.
help please.
also many thanks for the work you do.
(2016-07-25, 14:14)tiswas Wrote: hi raymw - attempting to unbrick my 1200 and have been following your guide and downloaded your links.
in step B you say to copy across the 5 files from File 2 to the sd card but i see only 4 plus the read me, there is no update zip.
help please.
also many thanks for the work you do.

HI tiswas

Just checked and yes I see the problem as the readme mentions the missing "......update.zip " file which is deliberately NOT included in the pack as we just want to get the box unbricked into recovery mode and not to attempt to install Android OS back to the box. So yes I understand your confusion there but just the 4 files (plus the readme) is all you that is needed. When I get a moment I will edit that readme with this file pack.

So good luck with your unbrick which should work just fine but of course only as long as the box hardware itself has not been damaged say by a nearby lightening strike induced power spike. Anyway let us know how you got on whether good or bad news.
Cheers
Raymw
thanks for the quick reply raymw.
will let you know how i get on.
hi again raymw - failed miserably.
have used three different micro sd cards, 1g,4g and 16g along with two different adapters, followed your guide to the letter and varied it quite a bit [eg remove tooth pick after 10 secs to 40 secs] have even tried formatting and writing to cards on a win 7 laptop as well as my win 10 laptop.
pretty certain the chip pins are clean, leaving the box for 3-4 minutes after every attempt.
solid red light at all times.
ready for binning it unless you have any other suggestions.
thanks for your time.
  • 125(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes5