• 8(current)
Audio drops if Enable Passthru is enabled
Hi, I just joined this group to post that I have the drop out as described but it is on spdif .
This is on kodi 16 from play store on android.

I also tried spmc but I just get noise from that.
I really wanted the surround sound working, is there another option or will this be fixed soon.
Thanks for a great media player, its awsome!

Edit would using an external player maybe mxplayer solve this issue for me?
If so is this guide correct for android?
Edit, I got mx2 working but won't play many of the surround sound files as they re aac, but for God I had to change a name and then it still won't work apart from thr odd film...
I am just going to go back to kodi p!ayer and turn off pass through for now , waiting hopefully for it to be fixed as it sounds great and can play the aac files too through my dts reciever , just can't stand the cutting out every couple of seconds...
Same problem here using SPMC 16.3 or KODI 16.1

Both have DTS passthrough audio-drops on my S905 based QBox with Android 5.1
Unfortunately it seems to be a problem kodi and android have when used together. I have given up on android and I am testing out a pure Linux box. Once it get it in the theater to test out the DD and DTS pass through I will report back.

Has anyone tried an Amazon Fire Tv or a Nivida Shield? Those are 2 of the android boxes I haven't tested.

(2016-06-26, 10:41)Nigel123456789 Wrote: Hi, I just joined this group to post that I have the drop out as described but it is on spdif .

I really wanted the surround sound working, is there another option or will this be fixed soon.

Edit, I got mx2 working but won't play many of the surround sound files as they re aac, but for God I had to change a name and then it still won't work apart from thr odd film...
I am just going to go back to kodi p!ayer and turn off pass through for now , waiting hopefully for it to be fixed as it sounds great and can play the aac files too through my dts reciever , just can't stand the cutting out every couple of seconds...
(2016-07-04, 17:18)JasonMonette Wrote: Unfortunately it seems to be a problem kodi and android have when used together. I have given up on android and I am testing out a pure Linux box. Once it get it in the theater to test out the DD and DTS pass through I will report back.

Has anyone tried an Amazon Fire Tv or a Nivida Shield? Those are 2 of the android boxes I haven't tested.

(2016-06-26, 10:41)Nigel123456789 Wrote: Hi, I just joined this group to post that I have the drop out as described but it is on spdif .

Amazon fire tv seems to work fine. I've not tried with DTS though, only dolby 5.1
(2016-07-04, 12:59)smallhorse Wrote: Same problem here using SPMC 16.3 or KODI 16.1

Both have DTS passthrough audio-drops on my S905 based QBox with Android 5.1
Try SPMC 16.1.0 if you can get your hands on that version. That worked for me on my MINIX x7 and may do for you.
I posted in the SPMC thread and got the following link
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2252568

It seems that Android up to API21 does not support passthroug at all, API21 dupports AC3 only and only API23 (Android 6) will support DTS.
Everything until then are hacks in Kodi/SPMC to work around that limitation and they might not work as intended...

Sad enough since I don't know if many box/stick sellers will provide a new firmware with Android 6.0 for their devices...
Basically you get what you pay for with Android - but even then I'm not sure what MINIX is doing in regards to API23 and Marshmallow.

nVIDIA, Amazon, Google and WeTek either upgrade or are in the process of upgrading to Android Marshmallow and API23.
Heck even WeTek in their Core and Hub devices at API22 had all this Audio passthrough sorted out a while ago now. So did MINIX.

For all the rest of the Android devices its purchase new Hardware time and go through the upgrade cycle again, wash, rinse , repeat.
It gets to the point where its just better to spend decent money on Support Android devices in the very first place ! Wink

This is the Exactly the way all these cheap Android box sellers make their money. Dazzle you with tech specs, promise the world, release buggy devices and then make you upgrade regularly.

Buyer beware !

(2016-07-09, 04:44)wrxtasy Wrote: Basically you get what you pay for with Android - but even then I'm not sure what MINIX is doing in regards to API23 and Marshmallow.

nVIDIA, Amazon, Google and WeTek either upgrade or are in the process of upgrading to Android Marshmallow and API23.
Heck even WeTek in their Core and Hub devices at API22 had all this Audio passthrough sorted out a while ago now. So did MINIX.

For all the rest of the Android devices its purchase new Hardware time and go through the upgrade cycle again, wash, rinse , repeat.
It gets to the point where its just better to spend decent money on Support Android devices in the very first place ! Wink

This is the Exactly the way all these cheap Android box sellers make their money. Dazzle you with tech specs, promise the world, release buggy devices and then make you upgrade regularly.

Buyer beware !

I agree, I bought a M8S which I ended up deleting all the crap off of it and use it with my projector, when it dies or I get tired of it I will buy something better that can do 3D MVC,4K and full pass-through audio
(2016-05-30, 03:03)Manolete Wrote:
(2016-05-22, 10:24)etharendil Wrote: Hello,
I'm having same issue when running android 5.1 on MXQ box with Amlogic S905. Kodi version is 16.1
There is and audio drop every 7 second with DTS soundtrack when passthrough is enabled (tested with HDMI and coax S/PDIF).
The workaround I've found is echo 2 > /sys/class/audiodsp/digital_codec then start kodi.
For some reason this stopped to work and there is no sound at all when I ran echo 2... so currently I need to do this:
start SPMC; echo 2 > /sys/class/audiodsp/digital_codec while is SPMC running, exit SPMC, start Kodi, then I have no sound drops with DTS and Dolby..

I saved sys/class/audiodsp values on clean start and compared them with values when was Kodi running without sound drops
/sys/class/audiodsp/audio_samesource before 2 then 1
/sys/class/audiodsp/digital_raw before 2 then 0
/sys/class/audiodsp/digital_codec before 0 then 2

after reboot I tried to chagned this values:
echo 1 >/sys/class/audiodsp/audio_samesource
echo 0 >/sys/class/audiodsp/digital_raw
echo 2>/sys/class/audiodsp/digital_codec
but it didn't worked and there were still drops.

my debug log (clean box start, no changes, DTS sound drops occurring every 7 seconds)
http://xbmclogs.com/pixnlqqoj

*edit
I did more digging and found out that the issue has nothing to with SPMC.
value of /sys/class/audiodsp/audio_samesource is set to 2 on box start and I'm not able to change it:
130|root@p200:/ # cat /sys/class/audiodsp/audio_samesource
root@p200:/ # echo 1 >/sys/class/audiodsp/audio_samesource
root@p200:/ # cat /sys/class/audiodsp/audio_samesource
I have to start Kodi which is changing the value 1 after start
root@p200:/ # cat /sys/class/audiodsp/audio_samesource
then change digital_codec to 2
root@p200:/ # echo 2 >/sys/class/audiodsp/digital_codec

restart kodi and issue with sound drops is gone..

Anyone have idea what this can be and how to fix it?

After reading this, I can confirm that this work.
For me I only had to change the /sys/class/audiodsp/digital_codec file from 0 to 2. The other two files are correct. So I think the very problem is /sys/class/audiodsp/digital_codec
I tried to change permissions to /sys/class/audiodsp/digital_codec from read/write to read only, but same as you, after a reboot all is broken again.

And this is because in every time the system boot, the init is giving again read/write permissions to that file, among others.

I found that in the init.amlogic.rc file is written the following line: chmod 666 /sys/class/audiodsp/digital_codec

but no matter if you delete this line, or if you change permission to 444 (read only) or if you write "#" before the line, it will not work, because this file (init.amlogic.rc) is rewritten every time the system boot.

So someone who had more knowlege in Android should know which part of init is writing or modifying this file, or how to change this behavior.

I hope this can be useful to someone, because we are at only one step to correct this problem.

I've got the KIII Amlogic 905 TV Box & have the spdif passtrough problem (like a click every couple of seconds & voice signal stutter every couple of minutes - 4 times - and than everything is back to normal until next stutter). I've read that thread & it looks like this is the hardware/Android OS problem. I've got also the MINIX Neo X8-H & there is no such problem. However, I had another hardware issue with it, so that is why I decided to buy a new device (KIII Amlogic).

I checked the etharendil's & Manolete's work around - it works very well! Thank you guys! Actually I needed to modify the /sys/class/audiodsp/digital_codec file from 0 to 2 only. The problem is, that as already mentioned here, the /sys/class/audiodsp/digital_codec file is created at every boot, so every time it needs to be modified manually (value 0 to 2). Therefore I would like kindly request anybody who is capable to write a script or something for permanent work around. I hope this is not much to ask - I am not able to do this by myself, because I am not a developer. I've tried to add the line:
write /sys/class/audiodsp/digital_codec 2
to init.amlogic.rc file. First of all I didn't know which location (sorry again - I am not a developer), and secondly this file (init.amlogic.rc) is also newly created at every boot, so my changes were gone & the /sys/class/audiodsp/digital_codec file is created with 0 value. Could anybody take care of this or instruct at least how to write such a script & always to have the /sys/class/audiodsp/digital_codec file created with 2 value?
Thanks in advance. Btw, I am new here, but I found this forum & this thread very helpful.
Regards
I forgot to mention, that I am using on Amlogic S905 device as well as on MINIX same versions: SPMC 16.3 & Kodi 16.1
Never mind, I have solved that problem using SManager & script for changing the /sys/class/audiodsp/digital_codec in my TV Box.
(2016-07-14, 12:16)kwapa Wrote: Never mind, I have solved that problem using SManager & script for changing the /sys/class/audiodsp/digital_codec in my TV Box.

That's great. Can you elaborate on what you did please?
I have also tried a new MediaPlayer with Android 6.0 Marshmallow (API 23) yesterday.
I am sad to report that the DTS passthrough still does not work with
SPMC 16.4.0 RAW-Passthrough -> Silence, IEC-Passthrough -> Audio Drops every 5-7 seconds
KODI 16.1 -> Audio Drops every 5-7 seconds
KODI 17.0 (Alpha) -> No sound at all with passthrough enabled and DTS

So, any hints what else I could try with the new API23?
(2016-07-15, 09:37)smallhorse Wrote: I have also tried a new MediaPlayer with Android 6.0 Marshmallow (API 23) yesterday.
I am sad to report that the DTS passthrough still does not work with
SPMC 16.4.0 RAW-Passthrough -> Silence, IEC-Passthrough -> Audio Drops every 5-7 seconds
KODI 16.1 -> Audio Drops every 5-7 seconds
KODI 17.0 (Alpha) -> No sound at all with passthrough enabled and DTS

So, any hints what else I could try with the new API23?

I know it's not the answer you're looking for, but have you tried Openelec/Libreelec?

There may be a build for your box, and in many cases you can install to and boot from the microsd card if your device has one so you can dual boot with Android.

DTS passthrough will likely work then as it's not running on Android.
Thanks for the suggestion.
I have tried OpenELEC before on my Android box and indeed inside OpenELEC DTS passthrough works.
I might have to fall back to this solution in case no firmware update by the manufacturer fixes things.
Sad, but the only possibility it seems.
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Audio drops if Enable Passthru is enabled3