• 7(current)
[NEW] Revised Codec and Playback info overlay discussions and suggestions
(2016-07-10, 14:00)Hitcher Wrote: OK cool.

For anyone who's interested here's Confluence's new info screen.

The new info screen for my favorite skin looks awsome @Hitcher. (It would be useful to have video & audio bitrates + buffer utilization as well, hopefully that can be added later.)
(2016-07-07, 13:03)Drag0nFly Wrote: The new overlay looks good. I have some suggestions though (and apologies if some has been covered previousy) It is still missing–

- video/audio bitrates
- buffer utilization
- cpu utilization

I frequently rely on those–esp. #2 & #3–in order to determine whether the buffer is filled (in order to avoid i/o depletion for a semi-busy raid box), and the cpu utilization is very useful when decoding hevc material (which is always done in software/FFMpeg on many systems); as well as to see how efficiently the actual decoding is performing (FFmpeg optimizations/different Kodi builds) when compared to the current bitrate. It would also immediately indicate whether any other process on the system takes up excessive cpu time, impacting playback.

(2016-07-07, 13:48)FernetMenta Wrote: I repeat myself here again. I won't mix up things of different categories which would result in the same overloaded useless mess we came from. There's actually 3 categories you would look at when when troubleshooting.

1)
Know what you are playing. This is metadata related to the file/stream. Most of this is already on the OSD

2)
Look at the process info exposed by this new dialog here. You would see what player sees as well. With this info you may be able to tell what player is supposed to do. If you think is does something wrong, you will look at the 3rd category which is dynamic data.

3)
This is what the debug screen shows, i.e. skips, drops, measured bitrates, etc. If you are here, you know 1) and 2) and you will most likely repeat playback of the current sequence. Displaying 1) 2) only eats resources and taints values of cat 3.

@FernetMenta: what is the status for the video buffer, point 2, in Kodi 17? Your previous answer isn't very clear. It refers to the new dialog containing this information, but as I tested this and provided a screenshot in post #63 http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2371208 – this unfortunately isn't the case. It is also not in Kodi 17s debug screen, although its config in advancedsettings.xml is being parsed during startup.

Since the only way of determining whether the video buffer is active or not was via the old codec info/overlay it would be useful to know if this feature still exists, and plans for exposing this info to the info screen.
(2016-07-08, 17:12)BigNoid Wrote: So if you need to monitor these things, you have to act if one of these variables go out of range? How can you sit back and relax and watch the movie Smile
You are a power user by the sound of it and on the forums it may seem that those are the majority. I am pretty sure though that the majority is not the vocal group on the forums and just wants to watch their media and not care about these things (and if everything is setup correctly they should be able to do that imo).
I think that the majority is that of banned addon users too.
So what?
Dodge the needs of a bit more advanced users for their sake?
I don't want to imagine what Kodi would be if it was always for the majority.
PS not trying to force something here regarding the technical info (though I'll miss some of this info too), just that logic I disagree with fwiw.
(2016-07-11, 13:06)host505 Wrote:
(2016-07-08, 17:12)BigNoid Wrote: So if you need to monitor these things, you have to act if one of these variables go out of range? How can you sit back and relax and watch the movie Smile
You are a power user by the sound of it and on the forums it may seem that those are the majority. I am pretty sure though that the majority is not the vocal group on the forums and just wants to watch their media and not care about these things (and if everything is setup correctly they should be able to do that imo).
I think that the majority is that of banned addon users too.
So what?
Dodge the needs of a bit more advanced users for their sake?
I don't want to imagine what Kodi would be if it was always for the majority.
PS not trying to force something here regarding the technical info (though I'll miss some of this info too), just that logic I disagree with fwiw.

Than I didnt make my point clear enough. It's about forcing things that imo a majority won't use on the osd, which is already confusing enough from a usability standpoint.
I've now added it to the info dialog, but I hope it will be a new dialog that can be brought up with the 'o' button.
(2016-07-11, 14:23)BigNoid Wrote: Than I didnt make my point clear enough. It's about forcing things that imo a majority won't use on the osd, which is already confusing enough from a usability standpoint.
I've now added it to the info dialog, but I hope it will be a new dialog that can be brought up with the 'o' button.

That has been the plan. Could you create a new dialog?
just tested the latest nightly. if i press "o" most of the informations we know from previous kodi versions are there. but i miss the dropped and skipped frames. where or how can i find them?
if i listen to online-radio the codec is displayed. but i cant find any informations about music-quality/bitrate. is this not possible anymore?
that has been mapped to playerdebug action
what means this exactly? i have to activate "debug-logging" within the options to see that kind of informations?
I mean map an action in keyboard.xml to
Code:
playerdebug
ok, thanks.
edited the xml-file for my remote and it works now. thanks again.

another small problem: it seems "playerdebug" only works for video-files, not for music-files. i found it very helpfull to know what quality/bitrate the stream has while listen to online radio. thats not possible anymore. would it be possible to get this feature back?
Just a thought, don't know if it's even possible, but maybe display the playerdebug info on a second CodecInfo action (button pressing)?
I think it would be too much having to spare 2 buttons of the remote to assign these actions.
Where could one look at the refresh rate of the display? Because 23.976 (three decimal points of precision) is most definitely not enough to know whether you are close enough to the optimal to avoid frame drops/repeats during a movie, when bitstreaming. Furthermore, I think that what's displayed here is the framerate of the movie, so I don't know where to look for display refresh and what precision will be given.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
(2016-08-06, 12:19)Ed76 Wrote: edited the xml-file for my remote and it works now. thanks again.

another small problem: it seems "playerdebug" only works for video-files, not for music-files. i found it very helpfull to know what quality/bitrate the stream has while listen to online radio. thats not possible anymore. would it be possible to get this feature back?
My selfish suggestion for this, if possible, would be to use Player.ShowCodec just for fullscreen music playback cause that shouldn't interfere with the reasons for making this a new dialog and I won't have to worry about adding anything cause it is already there for nox 5 Wink
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2401723

Is this info lost or not? I can't quite understand and I read all this thread. Is buffer info accessible somehow or not?
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[NEW] Revised Codec and Playback info overlay discussions and suggestions0