Startrek - Watch in canonical order
Startrek - Watch in canonical order on Kodi

A quest for help! - Please excuse my English, it is not my native tongue, and please, admin, put this post into the correct place if it is misplaced here....

The system:

Asus EeePC EB1501 (with BluRay)
Windows 7(Sp1) - soon to be Windows10
Kodi Isengard 15.0
Skins: Confluence, Aeon MQ 6
Scrapers: TVDB, TMDB

All is running fine Big Grin

I have got everything (hope so) whatever was officially Startrek and it is all filed in the correct Kodi nomenclatura with the correct names (as per Wiki).

All TVShows are organized automatically by Kodi\TVDB in:

ENT (Enterprise)
TOS (The Orginal Series)
TAS (The Animated Series)
TNG (The Next Generation)
DS9 (Deep Space 9)
VOY (Voyager)

All Movies are organized by Kodi\TMDB in:

Startrek: The Original Series Collection
Startrek: The Next Generation Collection
Startrek: The Alternate Reality Collection

All working fine.....

I have already played around and am using some (smart) playlists for organizing my Kodi, but I am stuck with the problem that I would like to have ONE playlist for to watch Startrek - TVShows and Movies - in the correct order.....

A sample list of a correct order can be found at The Startrek Chronology Project

I do not want to discuss what the correct order of watching Startrek is, but I would really ask you all out there for assistance in creating a playlist for it.

Would it be possible to attach a 'tag' with a number to each series part and movie (1, 2, 3,... or, 001, 002, 003,...) and create a list for playing then?
This is just a thought, a start....
Or is it possible to create a second database in correct playing order and attach this to a playlist?
Any other suggestions?!

I am fine with creating smart playlists, Kodi makes that really easy, but when it comes to tags or new databases or even programming something - this is way beyond my abilities, I am only a 'user'....

Thank you all for your replies and suggestions!

Ted
Viribus unitis
I can't see a way to do that with a smart playlist, because the data simply isn't in the kodi database.

You might need to do a manual playlist. The playlists are in m3u format, which is very simple. But you will need the path to each video.

With a list like that, I'd be trying to create the playlist with a script of some sort. It would be easier if the master list had reference to the season/episode number - although those aren't always canonical either!
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I started playing with the database in a commandline session in the kodi database.

It is pretty easy to do a query like:

Code:
select * from episode where c01 like "%Broken Bow%";

and from there you can derive the full path to put in a m3u file.

However one immediate problem I noted is that, again using Broken Bow as an example, it is listed once in that list, yet thetvdb.com sees it as two episodes. (It was probably a double length season opener). See http://thetvdb.com/?tab=season&seriesid=...6617&lid=7

So you're going to have to do some manual editing of some stuff.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Nickr, thank you for your answer(s)!

So I started to play around with 'normal' playlists (m3u), but it does not allow me to store TV-Show episodes and Movies in this list, it's just one or the other, or I am making a mistake(?) - This is why I thought it could be done with 'Smart Playlists', because there is the option of 'mixed' - but I have to admit that I have not tried this so far......

Interestingly, in the Wiki it says 'Videos' for the contents to be put into a basic playlist, now could someone enlighten me what the differnce between a TV-Show video and a Movie video is?!
Viribus unitis
I am pretty sure you can mix TV shows and movies in a playlist, even if you have to edit the m3u file manually.

Take a look at an m3u file made with your playing around and you'll see its really simple. Each entry has two lines, one of which is the title and the other is the path to the matching video.
Yes, you can.

I made a manual playlist ("Add to Playlist","Save") of all the Marvel Cinematic Universe movies plus the One-Shots plus Agents of SHIELD in "chronological" order ("Captain America" first).

First added everything to an empty playlist and saved it. Then I used a text-editor to re-arrange things in the order I wanted.

It's really neat to finish watching "Thor: Dark World" transitioning into Carlson bitching about no gods for cleaning-up. And then there's that whole Hydra thing.
Thank you, will try manual editing!

Ted
Viribus unitis
(2015-08-17, 05:16)crackers Wrote: Yes, you can.

I made a manual playlist ("Add to Playlist","Save") of all the Marvel Cinematic Universe movies plus the One-Shots plus Agents of SHIELD in "chronological" order ("Captain America" first).

First added everything to an empty playlist and saved it. Then I used a text-editor to re-arrange things in the order I wanted.

It's really neat to finish watching "Thor: Dark World" transitioning into Carlson bitching about no gods for cleaning-up. And then there's that whole Hydra thing.

Can you post your playlist?
Image Lunatixz - Kodi / Beta repository
Image PseudoTV - Forum | Website | Youtube | Help?
(2016-08-10, 23:15)Lunatixz Wrote: Can you post your playlist?

+1! Smile
4x R-Pi4b LibreELEC v10 | Aeon Nox: SiLVO | Flirc cases
Storage Synology DS411 | 4 x WD RED 6TB
Software MariaDB 10.4.19 | Filebot | Ember Media Manager
wiki (wiki) | First time user (wiki) | Debug_Log (wiki) | mysql (wiki) | artwork (wiki)
A general question... If I have 4 Kodi installations, each getting its info from a central MySQL database... Do I have to create m3u files for each installation manually? Or is there a way of storing these centrally in the MySQL database?

Thanks!
(2016-08-12, 14:55)annomatik Wrote: A general question... If I have 4 Kodi installations, each getting its info from a central MySQL database... Do I have to create m3u files for each installation manually? Or is there a way of storing these centrally in the MySQL database?

Thanks!
http://kodi.wiki/view/MySQL/Sync_other_p...#Playlists

Sent from my Pixel C

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Startrek - Watch in canonical order0