Linux Changing Volume freezes Raspberry PI3
Hello all,

I am using OpenElec on my Raspberry PI3. I have never had an issue with Kodi before now and it is only on my Vizio M-series TV. The issue is when playing back a movie (pulled from my NAS *wired*) the movie plays perfectly. If I try to change the volume on the TV via the Vizio remote Kodi freezes/stutters the audio then reboots. I feel like this is a CEC issue and the volume on my remote is also trying to send info to Kodi and it is not liking it. I am not find the setting to disable CEC to see if that fixes the issue or if anyone here has a suggestion on what else the problem is.

Info
Raspberry pi3
OpenElec 6.0.3
32 GB Sandisk MicroSD Card
Wired infrastructure
Moved to Pi support forum.

You can disable CEC in system//input/peripherals/CEC settings.
(2016-06-21, 14:04)popcornmix Wrote: Moved to Pi support forum.

You can disable CEC in system//input/peripherals/CEC settings.

Is it possible to have CEC working with the Raspberry Pi 3 and Kodi on a Vizio M Series TV? I have the exact same issue as the OP.
Does disabling CEC avoid the issue?
Post a debug log (wiki) containing the failure.
(2016-08-25, 11:53)popcornmix Wrote: Does disabling CEC avoid the issue?
Post a debug log (wiki) containing the failure.

Disabling CEC does avoid the issue. I would like to have CEC enabled as I want to be able to use the features that CEC provides.

Here is a partial pastebin of the crashlog.

http://pastebin.com/9HyUfDBz

Thanks for your help!
If kodi crashes then there should be a crashlog in ~/.kodi/temp. Can you pastebin the latest crash log?
There won't be a remotely useful crashlog with OpenELEC 6.0.3 as it doesn't have gdb installed. Sad
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2016-08-28, 12:39)popcornmix Wrote: If kodi crashes then there should be a crashlog in ~/.kodi/temp. Can you pastebin the latest crash log?

(2016-08-29, 00:08)Milhouse Wrote: There won't be a remotely useful crashlog with OpenELEC 6.0.3 as it doesn't have gdb installed. Sad

So I don't really have another option right now other than disabling CEC?
(2016-08-29, 03:57)Raggou Wrote: So I don't really have another option right now other than disabling CEC?

You can upgrade to LibreELEC.

With LibreELEC should the problem continue you will have a crashlog that might give a clue where the problem is occurring.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2016-08-29, 05:20)Milhouse Wrote:
(2016-08-29, 03:57)Raggou Wrote: So I don't really have another option right now other than disabling CEC?

You can upgrade to LibreELEC.

With LibreELEC should the problem continue you will have a crashlog that might give a clue where the problem is occurring.

I appreciate your time and responses but other than this issue I am happy with OpenElec at this time so I think I'll just have to disable CEC and live with it for the moment.
You may be living with it for a long time.
I have the same TV and the same issue when changing the volume and rpi3 freezing kodi.
Though I know that this is a pretty old thread, I am experiencing the same problem. I tried the latest versions of XBian, LibreElec, OSMC, and Raspbian + Kodi, each of which features kodi 17.0 or 17.1. All exhibit the same problem. Hasn't any solution been found?
Nope, because nobody ever supplied useful information that could be investigated.

If Kodi is still crashing then maybe you can supply a LibreELEC crash log: enable debug logging, reboot, reproduce the crash then execute "paste /storage/.kodi/temp/kodi_crash.log" in ssh and post the link.
@Milhouse

I see what you mean. Actually, kodi does not crash, when the TV controller turn up or down the volume, so that there is no crash log for the problem. Kodi just stops to respond to inputs from the keyboard, the mouse, etc, as soon as I try to turn up or down the sound volume via the TV volume. Kodi's log at the moment of the problem is available at:

http://sprunge.us/bSIA

This is probably not useful, because I don't see any outputs in the log file at and after the moment of the problem.

After Kodi stops responding to human inputs, it continues running according to "ps". When I kill it, it sort of shut down its operations, as you can find in:

http://sprunge.us/HjQQ

which is the log snap taken upon the kill command. But it still continues running...

Best,

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Changing Volume freezes Raspberry PI30