• 1(current)
Using a VPN- Merging Thread
Hi all,

Dreamlink T1. When using Kodi should I use a VPN to be safe?

If so, any suggestions on which is best for Kodi?

Huh
You really don't need a VPN or some masking obscuration, Kodi in-itself is not illegal and is akin to your browser, and as long as you have official add-ons vetted and obtained from the official repository you will be 100% legit and go to heaven. Please check our wiki Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) for information regarding add-ons etc that could get you into trouble. This forum is the official home of Kodi, and open sourced, community driven, free program for media enthusiasts, not criminals.

OTH: if this is one of those 'loaded' boxes, then keep a lawyers card handy.
What would constitute as a 'loaded box'?
(2016-08-23, 06:06)PatK Wrote: You really don't need a VPN or some masking obscuration, Kodi in-itself is not illegal and is akin to your browser, and as long as you have official add-ons vetted and obtained from the official repository you will be 100% legit and go to heaven. Please check our wiki Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) for information regarding add-ons etc that could get you into trouble. This forum is the official home of Kodi, and open sourced, community driven, free program for media enthusiasts, not criminals.

OTH: if this is one of those 'loaded' boxes, then keep a lawyers card handy.
Don't fall off that high horse.

There's no discussion of piracy / copyright-infringing add-ons here. That's necessary to protect kodi. Making sure you don't break that rule shows respect for the people who put kodi out there.
A 'loaded box' is one that's bought with a ton of piracy add-ons, or has them installed.
There isn't support for those boxes here unless it's to remove stuff.
It's possible to have a clean system though - mine is - and still find the above to be moralising, judgemental bollocks.
Plenty of 'those' add-ons started life here. Plenty of people who use 'those' addons use this site. And it's not for you to say who this site is for.
Trogggy please mind the language. I have used the b word myself on this forum and been given the same message.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2016-08-25, 04:35)trogggy Wrote: Don't fall off that high horse.

There's no discussion of piracy / copyright-infringing add-ons here. That's necessary to protect kodi. Making sure you don't break that rule shows respect for the people who put kodi out there.
A 'loaded box' is one that's bought with a ton of piracy add-ons, or has them installed.
There isn't support for those boxes here unless it's to remove stuff.
It's possible to have a clean system though - mine is - and still find the above to be moralising, judgemental bollocks.
Plenty of 'those' add-ons started life here. Plenty of people who use 'those' addons use this site. And it's not for you to say who this site is for.

I get what you're saying, but when the mods are clearing out tons of posts a day, and they know that 90% of the time the guy is talking about pirated content, then it's hard to give people the benefit of the doubt.

To be completely honest, I would love to suggest to people like OP to "walk into traffic" as my first reaction. I know deep down that there are lots of legitimate VPN users, especially got getting around geoblocking (which is typically "fair game" as long as the origin of the content is legal). However, I also know that OP isn't one of them, and I honestly don't care if a fly-by-night user gets their feelings hurt.

But then again, I'm kind of a horrible person.

Thankfully PatK isn't like that, and the worst he did was just make a reasonable assumption and link to the rules. I assume the "go to heaven" parts were tongue-in-cheek. He might be wrong (really doubtful), but he wasn't rude. It's not really about moralizing, and yeah, he's exactly allowed to say what this site is for. That's something he's been specifically empowered to do.
(2016-08-25, 05:05)nickr Wrote: Trogggy please mind the language. I have used the b word myself on this forum and been given the same message.

It took me a long time to figure out what you were talking about, and then I just started googing every B-word that he mentioned. Looks like it's greatly debated if *B WORD MEANING TESTICLES* is offensive or not, and even went to court once :D

Link of madness here

This is incredible. Honestly, I don't quite believe it. I'm actually tearing up at how hilarious this is. I've been using the word for years and had no idea. Right in front of old people and at weddings and formal dinners and who knows what. This just became the best word ever.
@ned - "English" English (as opposed to American English, the version we speak over here on the east side of the pond) has several words like that, which we sometimes use just to confuse people and so we can (usually mildly) insult or abuse people without their realising it.

Oh and speaking of such matters and by way of example, if you don't know the true original meaning of the mild insult "berk", look it up. It's one that's quite common and yet originally meant something rather stronger (hint - Cockney rhyming slang).
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2016-08-25, 07:46)Ned Scott Wrote: I get what you're saying, but when the mods are clearing out tons of posts a day, and they know that 90% of the time the guy is talking about pirated content, then it's hard to give people the benefit of the doubt.

To be completely honest, I would love to suggest to people like OP to "walk into traffic" as my first reaction. I know deep down that there are lots of legitimate VPN users, especially got getting around geoblocking (which is typically "fair game" as long as the origin of the content is legal). However, I also know that OP isn't one of them, and I honestly don't care if a fly-by-night user gets their feelings hurt.

But then again, I'm kind of a horrible person.

Thankfully PatK isn't like that, and the worst he did was just make a reasonable assumption and link to the rules. I assume the "go to heaven" parts were tongue-in-cheek. He might be wrong (really doubtful), but he wasn't rude. It's not really about moralizing, and yeah, he's exactly allowed to say what this site is for. That's something he's been specifically empowered to do.
I'm not talking about 'giving people the benefit of the doubt' Ned.
Not in any sense.
And I'm not talking about that user.
If you think my post had anything at all to do with him / her then I've expressed myself badly.

If things have changed here and this site is now only for a particular group of people - as opposed to some discussion being off limits - then I've missed that memo.
(2016-08-25, 05:05)nickr Wrote: Trogggy please mind the language. I have used the b word myself on this forum and been given the same message.
Seriously? 'The b word'?
Maybe I should have used 'balderdash'...

Edit: FAO Ned.
'Berk' is okay in the uk despite its origins, but be careful with the f word.*

*fanny.
I recommend using a VPN on every device people use, even if they do not use Kodi. There are many reasons to use a VPN
beside the one people usually assume and your doing illegal things.

So YES, I would say use a VPN
I meant the reply to be on the light side, to introduce a bit of humour into what could be a lot of dry reading, respectful of the feelings of others, I've been around the block with this forum and I'm cognoscente of it's history, Trogggy has contributed a lot to this forum and his words are usually solid, regretfully he's seen my message above to be moralizing, judgemental bollocks, and perhaps he's right, and I certainly didn't expect the cascade of messages that followed, so indeed point taken. I guess my attempt at trying to be politically correct just didn't cut it here, and certainly I did not mean to offend anyone.

I'm still getting my sea legs navigating in this ocean, and looks like I'm springing some leaks, one wonders what the op thinks of all this?

A VPN might be a good idea for some, but it's not needed out-of-the-box with Kodi. A quick Google search turns up all kinds of comparison lists and best viewed in the country of origin. I personally have not enjoyed the services of a VPN
I've obviously misread your intentions Pat, and I'm sorry for the overly harsh words.
If you didn't have 'Super Mod' (ie can be seen as 'This is the official line') attached to your posts I wouldn't have thought anything of it tbh - there's a big range of views within posters here, some of them (including yours!) even reasonable ones.

Please accept my apology - I shouldn't have taken your words so literally.
On the plus side, thanks to this thread I learned something new about bollo---

*this user has been banned*
Hi

I am using Kodi on Linux Mint and I'm using PIA (PrivateInternetAccess) VPN. I am able to download add-ons, but when trying to search for subtitles (OpenSubtitles in particular), I get no results. When I disconnected from the VPN it works.
How can I configure it to work properly with PIA?

Thanks
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Using a VPN- Merging Thread0