• 49(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
(2016-09-13, 03:54)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2016-09-13, 03:30)Smokin_Joe Wrote: Throw a few disabilities into the mix, top it with some age and voila...it's a project
You should have mentioned this earlier as now the only Kodi device I recommend is the nVIDIA Shield.
Why, because it runs Android TV OS and Android Apps that do not require the use of a complicated, confusing Air Mouse. These Air Mice are a PITA for use on a big screen TV, especially in your use case. The Shield is Plug n Play.

Control is by use a D-Pad, consisting of left, right, up, down and enter. It could not be any easier. Definitely steer clear of regular Android Lollipop only systems like the Q10 Pro.
I read the Nvidia had some issues.
I just saw
https://www.amazon.ca/H8-Octa-Core-I8-Wi...himedia+h8
Comes with a keyboard.
Friend of mine has one like this different box same sytle keyboard and it is rechargeable.
The H8 Octa seems like a steal with the keyboard and remote, just bought one, if anyone knows of an issue with them tell me asap cause I can always send it back.
+++Update++The Minix is ready to be picked up.
WhooHoo
Be very careful basing a decision just on tech specs and price alone.

Simply put, if you need support after purchase of any Kodi device make sure there is actually an active support forum available to sort out any issues that may arise. MINIX definitely has one, not so sure about HiMedia with the H8.

(2016-09-13, 04:49)wrxtasy Wrote: Be very careful basing a decision just on tech specs and price alone.

Simply put, if you need support after purchase of any Kodi device make sure there is actually an active support forum available to sort out any issues that may arise. MINIX definitely has one, not so sure about HiMedia with the H8.
I think we have supportBig Grin
http://www.himediatech.com/support.htm
http://himedia.ca/forum/
http://www.futeko.com/newforum/index.php?board=10.0
Thanks for bringin up the subject wrxtasy
I wouldn't invest in HiMedia H8 at this point. It's Rockchip based, which is already a minus. PQ is on the flat/dull side, and I believe proper 23.976 is still not supported, nor macroblocking issues ever fully resolved.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
HiMedia has perfect support, much better then Minix!
But no H8, the HiMedia Q5 Pro or Q10 Pro are a good investment.
Kodi Mediaplayer; Sony KD-55A89 4K Android TV
Well unashamed Q10 fanboy Tom, have you used MINIX support, what are you basing your Judgements on ?

"Perfect support" is a pretty big call IMHO !

Yes, I have had a Minix and the support was very bad!
Did you have had a HiMedia? No you haven't, but I have yes and the support is great!
HiMedia is far from perfect, and this is coming from someone who's in their closed beta testing group, has received free products for review, and is in contact with them via e-mail Wink. Overall, I do like Q5/Q10 Pro, and feel, even with its few (but key) outstanding issues, it's the best combo 4K + 3D + HD audio media player on the market!

They provide okay, halfway decent support. Basically, they are nowhere near as responsive as I (and I'd guess my fellow beta testers) would like, don't provide status on outstanding issues/fixes (only those few they choose to respond on), and move slower w/firmware updates than I'd like (involve only those beta-testers they feel like including, not all of us). Or, maybe just I've been excluded of late as I'm vocal about the not-so-good with the good Wink.
My Family Room Theater
Well maybe for you it is not perfect, but I have had Minix, Zidoo and some other brands mediaplayers, but the HiMedia is the first one who is fast responding on problems and the HiMedia is the first box for me who is playing all my content perfect!
You can of course, as some here nagging about little things that might not work, but thats whit each brand box!
We Nag about it because you use the words "Perfect" a bit too much for our liking. This is an in depth Technical media player forum you are on here, not some Amazon Newb bunch of forum postings.

23.976fps video sync problems on a HiMedia Q10 platform that is sold for the primary purpose of quality, smooth, 1080p 3D video playback is not a "little thing". In fact some would find it bloody annoying, particularly developers !
You don't see me calling any media box "perfect", I'm like hdmkv - doing reviews and telling it like it is warts and all, regardless of where the Hardware comes from.

Having said that I'm glad you are enjoying your Q10 Smile

It's only a 3D problem, 90% of the users don't use 3D, so it is not a big problem!
The other brand boxes have much bigger problems, that's why I'm happy now with my HiMedia Q10 Pro.
The problem is that you seemingly can not have that there are people who are happy with the HiMedia and therefore may say nothing positive about it!
If you find it perfect and are happy, then that's great, really. But, for potential buyers seeking advice, it's good to detail the good and the warts. Overall, at this point, I still feel Q10 Pro deserves the A- I gave it. Most people on this forum are very particular a/v perfectionists, so we focus on those key annoyances that we want addressed!
My Family Room Theater
I agree with you hdmkv, because of your review I purchased the HiMedia Q10 pro Nod
(2016-09-13, 22:40)HereIsTom Wrote: The problem is that you seemingly can not have that there are people who are happy with the HiMedia and therefore may say nothing positive about it!
No this is called being honest, something various media Box Fanboys find difficult to accept !
I've been acused in the past of not pointing out potential issues with devices to those buying a media player and then users get pretty upset when features simply don't work properly. Too many people want to be spoon fed and are too lazy to spend time doing basic research reading device forums.

You should have seen the flak I copped over the Zidoo X6 Pro, when I pointed out it was a dud in the past. Not a lot of people were listening and too busy being Fanboys. Those people in the end got what they deserved.

Have a look at Post #1 of the WeTek Play 2 recent review I did if you think I single out HiMedia for special attention. Use the word "perfect" and I will single them out again. It's that simple.

(2016-09-13, 14:22)hdmkv Wrote: I wouldn't invest in HiMedia H8 at this point. It's Rockchip based, which is already a minus. PQ is on the flat/dull side, and I believe proper 23.976 is still not supported, nor macroblocking issues ever fully resolved.
I am buying different models one at a time.
Rockchip based...hmmm...already bought it through Amazon.
I will give it a spin and see how it performs.
What chip should I be looking for in a box?
  • 49(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28