v17 Sound just stereo instead of dolby when Play TV show
System: debian testing 64bit
TV: TVheadend (latest)
Reciever: Denon AVR1713
Setup: Computer is connected to Receiver and receiver is connected to the TV

I don't know how I can describe this issue more clear than just with Kodi 17 the play back of tv shows are always in stereo. If i run Kodi 16.1 on the same computer and same TVheadend backend there is no problem with the sound at all.

Could someone share with me this behavior and/or give me a configuration solution to fix it.
You compare apples and oranges. Dobly is a codec and says nothing about how many channels it has encoded. Means a dolby audio stream can be stereo or 5.1 depending on the content.
Kodi does not use patthrough audio for live tv and as a result you won't see a dobly icon on you AVR. Nevertheless you can get multichannel PCM if you configured audio properly.
Note: passthrough audio has zero advantage over multichannel pcm for live tv. The opposite is the case.
@FernetMenta: I don't understand what you try to tell me, besides that I'm getting aware that my knowledge about Kodi sound configuration is not that well Smile

Facts are:
- Configurations on both versions are the same
- Playing the same TV programs the sound is better with kodi version 16.1 than with 17
- A specific news program gives with kodi 17 a terribly base noise not with 16.1
- With kodi 16.1 my AVR shows Dolby-D and with version 17 just stereo
(2016-09-25, 14:54)Meindert Wrote: @FernetMenta: I don't understand what you try to tell me

In this case just disable pass through audio.
(2016-09-25, 14:54)Meindert Wrote: @FernetMenta: I don't understand what you try to tell me, besides that I'm getting aware that my knowledge about Kodi sound configuration is not that well Smile

Facts are:
- Configurations on both versions are the same
- Playing the same TV programs the sound is better with kodi version 16.1 than with 17
- A specific news program gives with kodi 17 a terribly base noise not with 16.1
- With kodi 16.1 my AVR shows Dolby-D and with version 17 just stereo

Hi, I think I had the same problem. I think my Yamaha receiver cant work with PCM multichannel, as yours - maybe. enable ac3 transcoding in the audio configuration and keep audio passthrough on. So Kodi makes a AC3 signal out of the PCM stream and - voila - 5.1 sound. .(...I also installed k-lite codec pack)
I will stay at 16.1 for now, because pass-through of live-tv sound is working fine in this version.
Just out of curiosity, I'm wondering why AC3 passthrough with live TV was disabled on version 17 and from what I"m reading not on 16.1?

Also, I'm a Kodi newb who doesn't have it installed just yet on a computer that has HDMI audio. I understand that Kodi will internally decode live TV AC3 to PCM which is fine with me, but I'm just wondering what setting changes I have to make for this to happen? I really don't want to enable/disable passthrough each time I want to go from live TV to a movie and vice versa.
No need to change a setting. Whenever a stream is tagged live, pt will be disabled and audio decoded. If your env is not multichannel aware, set speakers to 2.0 and enable dolby transcode.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Sound just stereo instead of dolby when Play TV show0